Caribou Gear

Going Soft - RV Advice Needed

jlong17

Hey HT'ers I am looking into possibly purchasing an RV in the next year, and can use some advice. My wife and I have always loved packing into the backcountry to camp, but as we all know, life changes. We have a 2 1/2 year little girl that also enjoys camping, and I want to expose her to as much of the outdoors as possible. She is now a bit too heavy to carry into backpack style camping, so we are left with camping at either developed sites or spots we can drive to. I never thought I'd be a motorhome guy, but it has become appealing to me lately. I am interested in the Class C motorhomes that are sized right for a family of 3. Do any of you folks have motorhomes to travel/camp/hunt with your family? What do you like, what do you hate, and whats your ideal setup? Thanks for reading, and I appreciate the feedback.

Motor homes are more expensive to own & maintain than travel trailers. More things to go wrong. It also depends upon how far off the “main road” you plan to camp. But the biggest drawback of the motor home is, eventually you’ll want to go someplace and not feel like undoing the setup, leveling, etc. So then you’ll want a tow behind vehicle. Then you‘ll need a tow hitch and a brake and wiring setup, etc. Another consideration might be a travel trailer with some decent clearance. We have a No Boundries 19.5 by Forest River. You can see it on their website. It’s a nice unit, but like most TVs, is built cheap. If you decide to an RV, you’ll soon realize there is no prefect setup.

Motor homes are more expensive to own & maintain than travel trailers. More things to go wrong. It also depends upon how far off the “main road” you plan to camp. But the biggest drawback of the motor home is, eventually you’ll want to go someplace and not feel like undoing the setup, leveling, etc. So then you’ll want a tow behind vehicle. Then you‘ll need a tow hitch and a brake and wiring setup, etc. Another consideration might be a travel trailer with some decent clearance. We have a No Boundries 19.5 by Forest River. You can see it on their website. It’s a nice unit, but like most TVs, is built cheap. If you decide to an RV, you’ll soon realize there is no prefect setup.
Ya, you bring up a lot of the things my wife and I were discussing. I would say that a huge attraction to the motorhome for us is the fact that we could get away with driving much further distances at a time without stopping for the little one. We would do the tow vehicle because of the reason you brought up. I'm just not sure the cost is going to be worth it for us... I guess we could always just do a really nice wall tent:)

I too thought about an RV but most of the places i want to go they just wouldn't get to. I ended up with a new 21 foot shockwave toy hauler so that i can detach and use my truck or use the toy if we have it in there. I understand the not wanting to stop as my dad has me pull over every hour so he can pee but you just have to plan ahead for the stops and treat it as part of the experience. I would go for a lighter/smaller rig than you think you need as you are already making a huge leap from tent to self contained RV. We have way more than we need as we too like tent camping but it just gives you more options. I am going to add a second battery as just a little light in usage in the evening and regular use of the heat and the battery is pretty low in the morning. One of these times i will have to jump the generator with the truck in the morning so i would change that. Certainly get the 4 seasons package or equivalent. So far mine has done ok with 23 degree nights but I am still going to insulate and heat tape the dump valves as there is a drip that develops in freezing temp weather leaving a frozen ball on the ground. Not sure how much fixing you do on your house or your car but plan on a week or more of repairs over the course of a year as its a house on wheels so things break and things wear out. It was taking more time to have them warrantied so i just started fixing them myself. Even new mine had lots off problems but i tend to keep plenty of tools and spare parts to fix most issues. Good luck in your search.

I would get a 24 footer or so single axle pull behind with high clearance. That should get you into most areas where you can do dispersed camping and hike from there where your daughter's physical condition and limitations permit.

I have had a truck camper, motorhome and currently own a travel trailer. As with you I spent my 20's, 30's and even some in my 40's doing some serious backpacking in the Cascade mountains of Washington, The sierras in Cal and some in Canada. First progression was a camper until we had a child and a small dog on a week long every day rain trip to the Oregon coast and that cured me of that (nothing wrong with campers unless you need some real space, good size holding tanks and want to spend more than a week at a time in "non hookup areas" just my .02). Next was a smaller motor home class C. A few years in that with almost zero real towing capacity, difficulty getting it into the backcountry when needed (no ground clearance or 4wheel drive) the progression went to a 4x4 3/4 gas truck and 26ft Travel trailer (Arctic Fox of which I have owned for 21 years now and have not had a reason to look elsewhere). Travels and tows well into the backcountry on forest service roads (plenty of clearance and built well) as well as some pretty beat up roads, large holding tanks, room for "non stir crazy" month long adventures (been across the country twice with it). I even haul ATVs on a sled type deck on the back of the truck (currently own a 3/4 diesel truck)

Everything has a downside it's really a matter of what you are willing to live without. Class C is your transportation, housing all wrapped into one so you have to live with packing all your crap up every time you want to leave camp for town and so on, typically no towing capacity unless you spend $$$$$$, typically no off road capability that you would really want to deal with unless you spend $$$$$$. Truck Campers have a downside of "real space" and holding tank capacity but have a huge advantage when it comes to travel (easier off-road, easy to drop and load). Some of the newer campers have floor space but bring big $$ and you will also spend big money on a truck to haul it (typically a dually for what I am thinking about "multiple slide outs, super heavy camper). Travel Trailers depending on what it is typically will give you tons of room with slide out options, more holding tank capacity and a little more leeway with having a vehicle once you drop it at camp but it's also a towable and can be a hassle to drag around (tight places and manuverability are not a travel trailers selling point although I have become so accustom to my trailer I say I can get it just about anywhere these days within reason).

It really comes down to your current needs as a family, what you can afford and if you can live with whatever downside from the choice you make. "because they all have a downside". There is no perfect RV I have learned. There have been times I wish I had my truck camper back, never wished for my motorhome back and have thought about a 5th wheel. My TT I have been able to live with and enjoy for 21 years now (It is time for a new and I am 98% sure it will be another TT). I like a fifth wheel but not sure I can live without a truck bed (yep, another downside)???

My .02......Hope this helps?IMG_3536.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a ton @ntodwild for the in depth response! Thats a sweet looking setup you have there. We have gone back and forth with the travel trailer option, and whats holding us back is the fact that I currently drive a Tundra and we would need to purchase a different truck with better towing capabilities. We borrowed my in-laws little (really little) trailer last year and stayed in it for about 3 weeks... and it was rough. It was way too small and had awful holding tank capacity. Like I stated originally, my goal is to get the family out as much as possible. My work schedule allows me to take most of September off every year, and plenty of time off throughout the rest of the year. I know that if I can keep the gals happy and comfortable, then that means I get to continue with my elk obsession. I'm gonna chew on the trailer idea a bit more

I did not hear that no RV is perfect before I bought mine but man is it a true statement. I too have been a tent camper my entire life but was encouraged by the wife to get a camper this year. I wanted a toy hauler but with Covid, RV lots here were empty and everything was on back order. We snatched up ours, a 33’ Jayco bunkhouse style. Our family of 5 do very well in it even when the kids bring friends. For the most part, we really enjoy it although I think it might be bigger than we need. I bet there will be some really great deals on barely used travel trailers in the next six months after

However, when I take the ATV it takes up the whole bed so the coolers, generator, dogs, etc have to go inside the camper for the trip. It works but is not ideal, I still think I would have gotten a toy hauler if I could have. (Imagine sliding an antelope under an ATV in a truck bed for a 3 hour drive home vs. putting it inside the camper)

Attachments

• CD04AA70-E789-4E25-A51E-0E9E573FC6F0.jpeg
    CD04AA70-E789-4E25-A51E-0E9E573FC6F0.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
As stated, nothing will ever be a perfect fit regardless, and every families wants/needs vary. When me and my wife were dating we tent camped for 2 years, she eventually got tired of it, and after we got engaged we stepped up to a nice (new) rockwood Popup hard sided A-frame trailer. It was honestly a pretty sweet rig if you didnt have to spend all day inside of it, then it would get small. Once the kiddos came along it got cramped with the obligatory "pack everything you may need for the kids, and then some", so we looked at going bigger, literally missed out on a nice used 24ft by 5 minutes (I chewed on it too long, went to take a second look, and by the time I walked back in to pull the trigger it already sold), so the guy made us a stupid deal on a last year closeout 28'. Hindsight it worked out, because I believe the living space is much better arranged and with moving this year we lived out of it (family of 4, 2 toddlers) for a month. Downside is, it weighs a TON (literally like 7200# empty), and it is long and pretty tall (over the axle), so the likelyhood of me ever taking it deep in the woods is slim. That being said, theres some nicer a frame models that have ample space plus a deck on the front for a quad, maybe small SxS that you could pull with your tundra, geared more towards "off road" camping. When I go camping, i spend 99% of my time outside the trailer, but the space is nice for the kids if its bad weather, or if we want to host some friends, etc.
IMG_2287[1].JPG

Last edited:
@chuckchili I agree with you, I'm thinking in the next year there will be some good deals on RV's. I'm trying to do my research now so I have an idea of what I want. If you could get a toy hauler what do you think you would get?

@MTGreenhorn Ya, we found out last year while camping at Glacier NP that spending all day inside a tiny trailer is not an option. I ended up putting on a rain jacket and sitting outside hahah. I looked at some of the tent trailers with the front deck, but I was a bit worried about the girls staying warm when the temps dropped. Like you, we spend most of the time outside when we are camping. However, I will hike into spike camps and spend a day or two in there while the wife and little one stay at camp. SO many options, it's hard to decide

@chuckchili I agree with you, I'm thinking in the next year there will be some good deals on RV's. I'm trying to do my research now so I have an idea of what I want. If you could get a toy hauler what do you think you would get?

@MTGreenhorn Ya, we found out last year while camping at Glacier NP that spending all day inside a tiny trailer is not an option. I ended up putting on a rain jacket and sitting outside hahah. I looked at some of the tent trailers with the front deck, but I was a bit worried about the girls staying warm when the temps dropped. Like you, we spend most of the time outside when we are camping. However, I will hike into spike camps and spend a day or two in there while the wife and little one stay at camp. SO many options, it's hard to decide
Yeah, lots of options. Not to sound too forward, but are you planning having any more kids? If so, the bunkhouse models (bunk beds) are super nice as 2 kids have their own space to sleep. Slides are nice, but they add a fair amount of weight. From my previous searches and talking to friends (been a few years so may be outdated) the toy hauler models *used* to tend to have larger fresh water and holding tanks than normal TT's.
The year round camping like you mentioned, is why when it was just me and the wife, went hard sided. When living in WA, trips to the Ocean in the winter/fall werent uncommon, and with the wet and wind, this was the only way she was going to go, also made cleanup easier as you dont have to dry out any canvas if it gets wet.
I'd recommend you have you and your wife write a list of "non negotiables" and that will steer you in a pretty solid direction. ie: does she need a fixed bathroom with a shower, or is she willing to use a porta potty and an outside shower? How much room does each of you think is needed? Creature comforts etc.

I am slowly coming into market for a toy hauler but not a to big. On my last TT i realized at 32' it was way to big for my liking. Built a enclosed 16' cargo trailer to use as hunting camp and its ideal but not for family stuff. My ideal nice trailer next one is going to be 25'ish hauler that fits my SxS, maybe even a 5th wheel and some of its benefits. Bumper pull is nice cause i can load 4whlr in back of truck, sxs in hauler so we got options so still undecided. Would never own a class whatever, i need my truck and toys!

Yeah, lots of options. Not to sound too forward, but are you planning having any more kids? If so, the bunkhouse models (bunk beds) are super nice as 2 kids have their own space to sleep. Slides are nice, but they add a fair amount of weight. From my previous searches and talking to friends (been a few years so may be outdated) the toy hauler models *used* to tend to have larger fresh water and holding tanks than normal TT's.
The year round camping like you mentioned, is why when it was just me and the wife, went hard sided. When living in WA, trips to the Ocean in the winter/fall werent uncommon, and with the wet and wind, this was the only way she was going to go, also made cleanup easier as you dont have to dry out any canvas if it gets wet.
I'd recommend you have you and your wife write a list of "non negotiables" and that will steer you in a pretty solid direction. ie: does she need a fixed bathroom with a shower, or is she willing to use a porta potty and an outside shower? How much room does each of you think is needed? Creature comforts etc.
Not sure if we are going to have more kids or not... depends on if another little one falls into our lap haha (our little girl was adopted). I'll start working on that list today!

I could tell you all about how I just sold our travel trailer and never intend to buy another one but that would be a waste of time, unless you really want me to start preaching.:) It did serve it's purpose but I'm glad it's gone. We're going back to tent camping. I'm about to pull the trigger on a big Kodiak canvas tent and plan to have a ridiculously nice camping set up. Only thing my wife will miss is the toilet. I told her that doesn't compare to the white knuckle drives, pain in the ass set up and toilet dumping.

I will say we were able to sell our camper at a premium because of Covid. We couldn't get a sniff at what I sold it for this time last year. Covid has pushed up the price on RV's, boats and whatever else recreational you can think of. Keep that in mind as you're shopping. I know people in the industry that expect the market will be flooded with people with buyers. That's when I will be back in the market for a good used boat.:cool:

I’ve seen lots of 20-24ft enclosed trailers converted to campers for out west. The best is they can be disconnected and you can still take the truck to rougher places.

Thanks a ton @ntodwild for the in depth response! Thats a sweet looking setup you have there. We have gone back and forth with the travel trailer option, and whats holding us back is the fact that I currently drive a Tundra and we would need to purchase a different truck with better towing capabilities. We borrowed my in-laws little (really little) trailer last year and stayed in it for about 3 weeks... and it was rough. It was way too small and had awful holding tank capacity. Like I stated originally, my goal is to get the family out as much as possible. My work schedule allows me to take most of September off every year, and plenty of time off throughout the rest of the year. I know that if I can keep the gals happy and comfortable, then that means I get to continue with my elk obsession. I'm gonna chew on the trailer idea a bit more
Some final in-depth comments. My take on Toy Haulers since I didn't address them In my last post. Purely out of increasing knowledge base for @jlong17 and not a nock in anyway to Toy hauler owners. Purely food for thought. Any of you Toy Hauler owners willing to elaborate more would be great.

Almost 30 years of RVing, have been around almost every type of RV on the market from Class whatever's, TT's, Toy haulers, 5th wheels, Vans and so on. I never mentioned Toy haulers in my previous post so I will mention them here. I spent the better part of 10 years traveling with dozens of friends (ATV life) when our son was little (huge family fun, dunes, trails and the like). Toy Haulers are a pretty awesome utilitarian invention. At one point even considered trading in my TT for one. Some reasons I did not pursue this and food for thought. 1) This is not so much an issue now days with new designs but the "comfort" of a Toy hauler vs TT during NON ATV trips was not on par with a nicely appointed TT. 2) My biggest issue, even today. When toys are in the RV for longer trips that require "overnight stay prior to destination" can be very tricky. Depending on the hauler it may be difficult bathroom access while toys are in, difficult kitchen access or no bed access (very dependent on the model and design) so that is something to think about. 3) Most Toy haulers, even today do not have slide outs (there are some). Slides create amazing floor space. 4) Ride height. "Most" toy haulers, not all are not elevated or spring over style trailers which can sometimes make them difficult for getting into the backcountry when needed. Because they are intended for hauling large amounts of weight leaving them standard or lower height increases the tow ability and ride comfort.

Big plus's for Toy Haulers goes to utility, (holding tank space is typically huge) and multi use is definitely something to think about. Fresh water holding space is not nearly as important in my eyes as grey tank and black tank space. Fresh water can alway be replenished without hauling the RV off site but black or grey tank capacity issues can be tricky (yes there are portable tanks but they also pose their own issues).

My families own personal needs have been met extremely well with a 26ft TT which is just on the upper side of "just the right size" for multi use. Anything in the 24-26ft length seems to be the perfect combination of maneuverability, space, storage, holding tanks and utility for week long or longer road trips, getting into the back country or just hitting the coast for a weekend at an RV site. My .02

Keep in mind I am coming from a place where I have owned other RV's aside from a TT. I am also coming from a place where when I purchased my TT it was gonna be an ownership time frame of "as long as I could own it", not entry level or looking to upgrade 3 years down the road. Arctic Fox, Outdoor RV Nash or any of the Northwood products are not cheap. All manufacturers do have lemons so I won't make any big claims about one vs the other but I will say that my Arctic Fox 26X TT with regular maintenance has lasted 21 years and going strong (not been treated like a baby and been well used). Any RV is a rolling earthquake so no matter what brand, diligent maintenance is key.

Once again, hope this helps

I liked these two when I was looking. I would look for (barely) used- there’s should be a ton out there and you don’t have to pay the “new” premium.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my current 26' toy hauler setup. Keystone Fuzion 260 is what we have. Queen sized bed up front, 2 full size beds that are on a HappiJac setup (they lift up to the ceiling) and a decent sized kitchen area. It is a wide body so I can fit my 50" RZR and 43" wide ATV in there beside each other.

I can put a couple dirt bikes in the back of the truck as well now that I have a truck with some payload capacity.

It does everything that ntodwild said was a shortfall of toyhaulers except it doesn't have a slide. We can access the bathroom, kitchen, fridge, and front master bedroom while there are toys in it and we can lower one of the full size beds enough that my son can sleep on it with the toys still loaded. I would agree that having a nice couch back there would be nice if we had a standard TT, but the benefit of having the RZR and/or ATV is well worth it.

Our Toyhauler's floor sits above the axles and the clearance is better than any of the TT's we have had in the past (this is our 3rd). One negative is that you need to watch the trees hanging over the road as it does sit pretty tall but not as tall as a 5th wheel.

It has a 100 gallon freshwater tank and holds 20 gallons of fuel. To me setting up a trailer is WAY faster than a a tent, we can load or unload the toys and hook up or unhook the trailer and be ready to go in well under 30 minutes, maybe 15 if we are in a hurry.

With all that said if it was my wife and I and a toddler one of those tall 4X4 vans might be worth looking into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back