MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

goat scouting

RockyDog

Ive started enjoying scouted the high country for my goat tag. The first pic shows a snowdrift in center, i watched a billy walk the length of that drift. Other pic is zoomed in on the billy. The way my legs feel today i can tell this is going to be a very demanding hunt.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,662
Now that is going to be a great hunt. Your legs will get better. The memories of this grand experience will be worth every bit of struggle.

Looking forward to more pics and stories as the time gets closer.

2 pics, that's it? You're gonna have to do better than that. Pixels are free.

Last edited:
Hey, Rocky, you might get a good one in there. I left a good for seed. I shot this one about two miles from where you were.
10Goat-3.jpg

Looking back down to the Root:
HuntingRoaringlion-1.jpg

You'll see this lake before your done:

P1010146.jpg

Looking back across to the mountain to where you found the goat. Your goat was on the right side of the photo
P1010148.jpg

Just before the big fall:

P1010161.jpg

Awesome pics, I am jealous. Keep the pics coming and best of luck finding the one you want.

thanks guys, ill post some more pics later. SS thanks for sharing those. it looks like youve drawn this tag. maybe i can talk with you about it sometime since im trying to learn about goats. After seeing the rocky high country they live in i am really excited about staring at, i mean chasing goats this fall. SS what did you mean by "just before the big fall"?

That looks like Blodgett SS....

Barri...cool man...wish I was closer to spend some time up there with you, I know it can be tough to stay warm on those wind blown ridges all by yerself.....

This is a story I'm looking forward to this fall...good luck RockyDog!

Yeah, after I said that, I said to myself, "with that limited of a view (the pic with the dead goat) it could be in any canyon from Sweeney to Trapper.... "

So anyhow... I could randomly pull guesses...I guess... :0)

Thanks for the pics though!

Do you have transportation back in there or are you hoofing it? If that's the canyon I think it is that's a hell of a walk.

endofsummersheep027.jpg

Really great pics guys!! Here's a group of about 30 I found last fall in the AB Wilderness while looking for unlimited rams. There were over 50 goats in this basin.

Do you have transportation back in there or are you hoofing it? If that's the canyon I think it is that's a hell of a walk.

Most of the West side canyons are. The canyon that I took my goat in, has a government trail all the way, BUT, it was only maintained for around 4 miles. The rest of the way the wolf trails were easier to walk in than the main one. FS might have worked on it by now. You wouldn't have got horses up the bottom.

ive had a busy fall, sorry it took so long to post more goat hunting pics. so far ive seen alot of vertical rocky country and not even one single goat. Have been out everyweekend but didnt get serious about it until this weekend, took a 4 day off trail backpack trip. I really expected to at least see goats in some northfacing canyons. No goats were spotted. It was high temps of around 60 so hopefully they are just staying in the timber. Based on lack of sign im a little concerned that goat pops. are low in my tag unit. A few pics of the high country in selway bitterroots below....

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • hanging wall.jpg
    hanging wall.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • lone tree.jpg
    lone tree.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • shelfrock.jpg
    shelfrock.jpg