Goat recovery on a rope...

Good shit...eagerly awaiting your future elk extraction posts.

Awesome story and thanks for sharing. Posting adventures like this on social media should make one of the Rinella Brothers happy as it will scare the $hit out of some newbie from ever taking up hunting!

Its kinda sad that it all had to happen this way. Glad the animal was recovered.

Hard pass! I don’t do exposure and heights. Good on you guys for quick action

I remember reading a couple stories like this years ago about some goats in Utah. The way I remember it was they waited significantly longer to find some climbers to recover the goats and recovered no meat. I thought they should have gotten waste tickets but it was Utah so instead it was celebrated.

unfortunately, the anchors were one of the things I forgot to take a single picture of, for the top anchor we found a nice protruding rock horn about 4' in diameter and 3' tall that we wrapped with the rope and backed it up to a 3 cam anchor in a chossy crack, for the anchor we hung the goat off of and used as fall protection while we were at the bottom we got some smallish offset nuts in an actually good crack.
we brought the kitchen sink as we weren't sure what we were getting into...the first description was a 1000' cliff... I think a single set of cams from.5 to 6, a set of pitons, 2 sets of stoppers, 2X70 meter ropes, a set of jumars each, a couple of pullys... if I was going into it as something to take along just in case a single set of stoppers, a rope, and a microtrax would probably do it for 90% of real-world scenarios...
Static line? 70m 9.5?

Would you bring jumars or do you think you could make it work with prusiks and/or a light weight ascender.

I'm thinking if I get the opportunity to do another goat hunt and/or something with potential for a sketchy recovery do I just put a bunch of gear in my car and then if necessary hike out, or could I reasonably pack in sufficient gear. Definition of reasonable being 20-25lbs, not including harness or helmet. We where a good 8+hours one way in on my goat hunt so packing in gear would definitely have been my preference.

Also, badass extraction and awesome post.

Best write up of the season IMO! I've dabbled in climbing a little bit. However, only enough to be dangerous. You guys know what you're doing for sure! It's a great skill to have if you're going to hunt in terrain like this. The hunter better of been extremely grateful. That's at least a 6 cases of beer job right there!

Great use of an awesome skill!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back