Goat 323

Riverbottom

Good afternoon hunttalkers. I am looking for a little help. I drew a goat tag for 323 this year. I live in the NW corner of the State and have applied for goats in those districts for years. The number of tags given keeps dropping in the 100 districts, so I put in for 323 and drew! I keep trying to get ahold of the goat biologist without luck. I have scoured the maps and am wondering on places to start scouting. Specifically, would anyone recommend starting from the East Mill Creek, Boulder, or Gardiner sides? I’m willing to hike in the backcountry as many miles as it takes. I’m not looking for specific spots, necessarily, just starting points. Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Welcome to HT, are you gonna actually finish the thread out and post some pics and share the story or just hit and run us......Julie Cunningham will be a good one to about the area. I think a quick search on this topic will actually come back with a few threads on the district and the hunt. I believe there was actually a great write up a couple years ago on this. What kind of goat are you looking for a long haired dream billy? Or anything will do? My advice to you is that the access is great even when it snows don't get scared you can still get to some areas with good goats. Hold on to that tag and don't shoot a shaved sheep dog.....Good Luck to you

Call the forest service. They usually have some people that have spent time in that country and are knowledgeable about access and also goat sightings. Get a good map from them too. Biologist is probably just busy. Keep calling every few days or so and you'll get a hold of them eventually. I'm sure the biologist has been getting plenty of calls the last few weeks.

This is my aunt’s goat hunt that I went along on. Good country, but you’ll earn it. A lot of ‘trails’ aren’t really.

Call the forest service. They usually have some people that have spent time in that country and are knowledgeable about access and also goat sightings. Get a good map from them too. Biologist is probably just busy. Keep calling every few days or so and you'll get a hold of them eventually. I'm sure the biologist has been getting plenty of calls the last few weeks.

Thanks. I’m sure the biologist is busy. I will try the forest service.

The "right" forest service person can be better than the biologist. I did a bear hunt this past spring and talked to everyone. The forest service person was able to tell us where not to go and where they saw them. Good luck!

The "right" forest service person can be better than the biologist. I did a bear hunt this past spring and talked to everyone. The forest service person was able to tell us where not to go and where they saw them. Good luck!

Good to know. Thank you. I’m in decent shape but need to get into goat shape this summer. These pictures are from an evening hike near my house. Fun to be amongst Beasts The Color of Winter.E2213269-2B3C-49F7-9CF3-23F929DE4A26.jpegC700020C-CA74-43BE-B364-2762AFA5CBC2.jpegA94CA47A-39C1-483D-B3BB-A6CAE6EF9E58.jpegA346B28F-BFBA-448E-99EF-5BB0612F368B.jpeg

Here are a couple threads I’ve written on that unit. The advise I have is don’t let the tag stress you out and spend as much time up there as you possibly can. I shot early on my hunt and that is my biggest regret

I do have Chadwick’s book. Awesome goat book. I had given a copy to my brother when he had a tag for 132.

Here are a couple threads I’ve written on that unit. The advise I have is don’t let the tag stress you out and spend as much time up there as you possibly can. I shot early on my hunt and that is my biggest regret

Those are both great write-ups. Fun to “ go in the hunts” with you.

I hunted it in 2010, if you can't find anyone with more current info, I'd be glad to talk to you, just shoot me a PM, I'd have to look back over the maps to refresh my memory though:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back