Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

go to your doctor

duckhunt

A couple weeks ago we buried a very close friend. He died at the age of 41. Diabetes took its toll. Last july I found out I have diabetes so I started to change my ways. I changed my diet a little and stated working out. In January I started a thread about setting goals and have been doing better.

After losing my friend I decided to go to the doctor for a check up. I haven't been there since last july. That was a serious eye opener. My diabetes has gotten worse, I have high blood pressure, and my cholesterol is sky high. The doc put me on medication for all three. I did not expect this since I feel so good.

I would have never known if I didn't get checked out. Just something for everyone to think about. It only takes a couple hours out of one afternoon to get yourself checked out. Even though you feel great there might be something going on that you dont know about. Hopefully there are many more hunting seasons to enjoy.

To go along with your thought..I have been a heavy smoker for years. I've noticed that I get winded easily going room to room through my house and doing small projects and I feel like I've got pneumonia or bronchitis since I keep coughing stuff up. I thought losing 78 pounds would make this better. So, I went in for my 6 month check up and pushed my doctor for a chest x-ray and the results came back that I have COPD. 43 frigging years old!!! So, now I'm on a nebulizer twice a day and have to do a pulmonary function test next week.

I agree with you...you HAVE to get checked and be proactive in your care. Your doctor is there to work for YOU, so see to it that your needs are met.

And by God, PLEASE quit smoking if you are a smoker.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago we buried a very close friend. He died at the age of 41. Diabetes took its toll. Last july I found out I have diabetes so I started to change my ways. I changed my diet a little and stated working out. In January I started a thread about setting goals and have been doing better.

After losing my friend I decided to go to the doctor for a check up. I haven't been there since last july. That was a serious eye opener. My diabetes has gotten worse, I have high blood pressure, and my cholesterol is sky high. The doc put me on medication for all three. I did not expect this since I feel so good.

I would have never known if I didn't get checked out. Just something for everyone to think about. It only takes a couple hours out of one afternoon to get yourself checked out. Even though you feel great there might be something going on that you dont know about. Hopefully there are many more hunting seasons to enjoy.

Get your eyes checked as well, especially if your A1c was high. Diabetes can cause permanent vision loss that often cannot be fixed with glasses.

We guys sometimes think we're are going to be fine and are slow to go to the Doc.. if at all. Just swallow that pride and think about your family, and of course your future hunts to come. I want to encourage you to get an annual, get your PSA checked, and when you get to about 50 get the one eyed snake. these simple tests can be life savers.

Be Safe,

Last edited:
Hang in there John!
I have been watching what I eat (well wife does) and exercise. Try to get in a cardio walk every day, go to the YMCA twice per week for core building. Is a PITB, but I don't like the alternatives.

Doc was seeing me on 90 cycles for some of your ailments. A1C back to norm, hope to get kicked off my BP meds next month for my 6 month labs/visit. Have really been trying to watch my attitude and stress levels, but some days are just messed up.

I was diagnosed with Melenoma (skin cancer) at 18. I would be a dead man had we not caught it early. But the Good Lord had other plans for me and I now have 2 beautiful children and a wonderful wife of 13 years. I almost caused my own death by not using sunscreen and covering up like a should. Life is precious. Take care of yourselves.

I am making some serious changes. My goal is to get off the meds. This is not how I want to live. I believe with proper diet and exercise a guy can live without being dependant on medication.

The sad thing is what many now have for health care coverage. I am pretty much on my own until I spend $4500 and then I am covered. Physicals are covered once a year but I went in and the doc did not like how the ticker sounded and sent me in for an Echocardiogram. I have not seen the bill but I am sure it will give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

As a diabetic since age 13, many things came a little easier as I got older. My mother however did not have the same experience. She has now had new kidneys for 6 years plus and that is good but things went bad to get to that point. Here is the cold hard truth for people with diabetes:

You ARE a diabetic, there is no such thing as marginal, kinda, or a touch of diabetes

Take care of your eyes and feet, problems will often be seen in these areas early

Taking insulin shots is not a bad thing, pills are easy but sometimes better control can come from shots, after all, control is what you're after

Go to a doctor often

Check your blood sugar multiple times a day especially in the morning and before bed

Get your blood drawn and your A1c checked, this is an overview of your sugars over the last three months

Diabetes is not a lot of fun, but there's tons of worse problems, just take care of things and be proactive

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back