Gloves, Knee Pads, & Elbow Pads for stalking

RugerHawg413

I posted a thread on this pronghorn forum and got a lot of great replies (thanks)! And as I read thru these answer I read a lot about protection for my knees, elbows, and hands. So, what should I buy, pants with reinforcement in the knees and jacket with reinforcement in the elbows or should I just use what I have and buy elbow and knee pads? If anyone owns or has read about something that might work please comment on that. Thanks so much and have a great day!

Last edited:
I use knee pads I bought from Big 5 for $12. I use a $5 pair of gardening gloves from Lowe’s. When I look to replace these, I’ll get knee pads that can be strapped on (not slipped on) and gloves that have more knuckle protection.

Like you I had these questions before my first hunt last year.

I bought a pair of knee pads from a hardware store. Just go with ones that Velcro or snap. Don’t have to be very fancy. Gloves I didn’t wear. Won’t be wearing any this year either.

While I did crawl over some small cactus last year I was aware it was there and just put my hands in safe areas.

If you plan to be crawling around I’d suggest a pair of heavier pants. Carhardtt type would work. I bought the First Lite brush pants for other reasons but they worked perfect for Wyoming Antelope hunting.

Same here—got a pair of knee pads from Academy. Does not need to be fancy. Wore gloves but if you put your hand on a cactus, gloves only do so much.

50 years of hunting Prairies and mountains never bothered for anything other than jean type pants and whatever the weather type gloves.
LOT's of prickly pear and thistle here. Snow is the bad thing in my mind. BUT at my age, I don't do a lot of belly crawling anymore.
If I just hunch over and walk, I guess I don't get a shot.

I've found kneepads are not necessary and more often get in the way then help. They are uncomfortable to walk in so they always end up taking up room in my pack or left in the truck and inevitably are forgotten or back in the truck when it's time to make the stalk. Leather gloves on the other hand are invaluable bring 2 pairs.

I have some camo military pants that are double knee. I was a able to cut up and old closed cell foam sleeping pad and stuff in there. Works amazingly well I don't notice them at all walking around. I also put them in a pair of double knee carharts and they work well in there also.

I have some Sitka pants with integrated knee pads. They work well and don't bother me when I'm hiking.

I have also used strap-on knee pads from the hardware store. They are uncomfortable for hiking all day. I would keep them in the pack, and pull them out when it's time to belly crawl and close the distance on something.

for the Tacti-COOL Crowd.

https://www.dextermeadows.com/

home-left-new.jpg

I almost never have my kneepads on but keep a pair with me for the rare occasion that they are needed. I have never seen anyone use elbow pads. Leather gloves are a very good idea for gates, fences, etc. and do offer some protection from cactus needles. It is easy to slip the gloves off when it comes time to use the trigger.

I hunt goats every year with a bow, and almost exclusively spot and stalk. I don't use knee pads or leather gloves anymore. I do get prickly pear spines regularly, but the hassle of gloves and pads just wasn't worth it. I rarely took the time to stop and pull them out and put them on, they never stayed put, and I ended up getting stuck anyway.

I like military surplus knee pads. You can get them at surplus stores or gun shows. They are comfortable and the Velcro straps holds them on without a problem. My old butt even uses them for playing paintball and they stay in place without a problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back