Caribou Gear

Glen Canyon

Completely non-scientific yet worthwhile.
Thanks for sharing, this line got a chuckle out of me, "Johnson studies the deposit of mud, silt and sand that she and many other geologists informally call the “Dominy Formation” after Floyd Dominy."

Completely non-scientific yet worthwhile.
That’s a great article.
It’s interesting that Barry Goldwater said towards the end of his life that one of his biggest regrets was the Glen Canyon dam. There was countless Indian ruins and archaeological sites lost when the reservoir was filled.

I’d like to see the dam breached. From the sounds of it the sediment could be washed away if the river was free flowing again. The geological features that would be re exposed would be amazing. I’ve heard from the old timers that the canyons were more unique than any of the other parks (Bryce, Arches, Canyon, etc. )

It’d be something to behold if that were the case….

This essay from HCN provides an interesting update and nicely relates back to the original post from 2007 (16 years ago!) on Katie Lee, Dave Wegner.

Some quotes from the 2007 original that stick out to me:
"Even the Bureau of Reclamation stated last summer that it was highly unlikely that Lake Powell would ever refill."
"...there isn't any surplus water"

The Glen Canyon Institute has been saying there's a problem for 27 years now, and what has been done? Just kicking' the can on down the road. End of the road might be in sight.

Back