Giving some thought to moving to S. Dakota

Find one of those small towns that are not experiencing the Sioux Falls/Rapid City growth problems and you can probably get a livable place at a decent price. You might be a little ways from major shopping centers but the people will be great and the solitude enjoyable. 10 hrs will get you corner to corner in this state. Unless its snowing bad.

If you’re an AF vet, I’d consider staying near Ellsworth AFB. Lots of support for military in that area.

Lots of cool ranchettes in the black hills just on the Wyoming side of the border. Tags are important - you want a WY address, not a SD address.

You cag get a $120 SD NR pheasant license OTC and experience the best of what SD offers a travelling hunter. That is nothing compared to what WY residency gets you - especially with 90/10 passing for Wyoming Moose/Sheep/Goat.

I grew up on wrong side of that SD/WY border.

dredging up an old thread but..if your goal is to hunt ELK, yes move to wyoming side of black hills. Like just west of Spearfish or even down near new castle wy. elk tags in SD are basically a once in a lifetime.. maybe twice... lets say you start applying at 20yrs old, the bull tag will take 15 years to draw...so 35 yrs old...then you have to wait 8 years to put in again and wait another 15 yrs(at current draw rates) so you could get your second tag at 58 yrs old...then i guess another one at around 81 years old...lol

hunting deer in the black hills is once every 3 years, prairie deer is every year, antelope is every 2 or 3 years

This huge forky was downed within the Black Hills long before antler point restrictions were adopted. The good old days of hunting the Hills are long gone. TR

big muley 30-30 1.JPG

You moved to Minnesota for money? hopefully not the twin cities or further north... i guess south west might be okay..never mind I already regret saying that

You moved to Minnesota for money? hopefully not the twin cities or further north... i guess south west might be okay..never mind I already regret saying that
Western suburbs in twin cities is easy living. Hard to beat. And north of Duluth is god's country. Lots of great places to live in the USA so not pitching for MN in specific, but except for a couple of square miles in Minneapolis/St Paul, lots of good places. As for money - lots more high salary professional jobs in TC than smaller plains states.

I couldn't do it...not even for double the money.. not even quadruple the money... I live a 5 minute drive from some of the best hiking, mnt biking, camping, hunting and fly fishing in the lower 48 so I'll stay poor and happy. I go for a hike 3-5 days a week with deer, beavers, mink, racoons, turkey ect nearly each time. I chased that dollar for happiness for too many years and finally realized that is not MY happiness.

Too cold up north, maybe great in the summer but that nasty 7 months of winter, NOPE

I couldn't do it...not even for double the money.. not even quadruple the money... I live a 5 minute drive from some of the best hiking, mnt biking, camping, hunting and fly fishing in the lower 48 so I'll stay poor and happy. I go for a hike 3-5 days a week with deer, beavers, mink, racoons, turkey ect nearly each time. I chased that dollar for happiness for too many years and finally realized that is not MY happiness.

Too cold up north, maybe great in the summer but that nasty 7 months of winter, NOPE
Even better in the winter. I would take a month on the north shore in Jan over July every time. Of course fall is wonderful too.

More than money. If I only wanted money I would be in NYC. But also, world class educational opportunities for kids, more food options, better/bigger entertainment venues, big time sports (queue the vikings jokes, you can thank me for the softball later), easy travel out of major hub airport, world class hospitals, etc etc etc.

But I respect different strokes for different folks.

I hear you on the conveniences of airport concert venues quality shopping etc but I don't need those things on a daily weekly or monthly basis...when is th elast time you flew on a lane... I think it has been a year for me .. I grew up in a big fancy city.. learned to hate the traffic, all the people, always waiting in lines, the general dirtyness... i'm glad there are people that like living in what I consider chaos... it means they don't live here in western SD. lol no where is perfect... but after the mess of the past few years I'll take the freedom that we experienced here.

I watched the "Wild" get handled pretty good last night. Shame comes to mind. Maybe there's hope for the Timberwolves. Thank god you have the Twinkies for shots at redemption. I couldn't live in a Liberal controlled state for money. This is the problem in Greater Dakota- all those happy hunters that pursue the mighty dollar want to come here and enjoy what us low payed employees stay here for. Watching what you love change by deep pockets is pretty discouraging. I think the commisions on your side though.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back