Caribou Gear Tarp

Giving some thought to moving to S. Dakota

A207X2

I currently live in FL, but the hunting down here is not great. The fishing however, is good as is the boating. I am a full-time RV'er (2020 44' Riverstone 39FK) and it is very easy to become a resident of S. Dakota. I enjoy hunting duck, geese, upland game, deer, and elk. With that as a background, where in S. Dakota would be a good place to live that would put me in reasonable proximity to that game (reasonable being > 1 day drive)? Thanks.

Jim

Based on your signature, I assume you've spent some time in similar latitudes and know what RV'ing in SD winters is like?

I wouldn't expect an elk tag and if you're not paying for access it seems the western part of the state has more to offer for public land deer hunting but less to offer for waterfowl. Picking a spot in the middle of the state would be a good start for what you described IMO. I'd think anything inside a triangle made between aberdeen, Yankton, and the black hills could suit you well but i'm not very familiar with NW SD.

I moved to SD from PA in 1999 to go to graduate school. Fell in love with the state immediately and stayed to work for Game, Fish & Parks until other adventures called me away. I lived in Brookings, Pierre, and Custer - liked every one of 'em. My friends that still live there tell me it's not the 'good ol days' of hunting and fishing I experienced but if you can tolerate winter I think it's still a great state for living. My wife's family is still there, I could see retiring there someday.

Anywhere in Sd is less than a day's drive. The Hills area would be my choice. It will be tough to draw a bull tag but you should draw a cow tag with 2-4 years preference.

If you're looking to purchase a home or land to build on you will pay out the nose anywhere within or near the hills. That's just the way it is. Housing prices are also very inflated in Pierre as it is 3 hrs from any larger city. Aberdeen is a nice area with lots of outdoor opportunities as well as all the amenities of a moderate sized city.
If you don't mind being away from certain amenities and Chamberlain would be a good option. The river provides year round activities whether it be fishing, boating, and waterfowling, as well as very good upland in the general area.
Yankton would be a nice place to live as well, however you are a few hours further from west river opportunities if that matters to you.

Huron is a dump and Mitchell is the armpit of the state.

I have spent a few nights in Chamberlain passing through SD. I have visited with a number of folks who were staying there and lived there, hunting birds, deer, and fishing walleyes. Appears to be lots of opportunities !!

Thanks for all the input. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY so know the snow and did 2 years at Offutt AFB in NE so know the cold. For Nov - Feb I'll be down in FL but will come back for a week or two of hunting.

My family and I lived in Chapel Valley just outside the city limits of Rapid City. For 11 years this was our home and we loved it but a job offer doubling my pay came in from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania so we headed on out. My wife and I continue to head west from our home in Florida to the parks within the Black Hills for RV camping. Many happy memories of living in Chapel Valley. If I were to move to South Dakota in 2022, I'd likely head to Spearfish for less traffic and close proximity to the Bear Lodge Mts of Wyoming. Great elk hunting in these hills.

TR

Folks lived in Hot Springs for a handful of years. They really didn't care for it a lot but they were in the Black Hills.

Personally I'd stay to the eastern half for the bird hunting and the fishing since odds of drawing an elk tag are so low and you can drive across the state relatively quickly.

I don't think I'd live in an RV though

I now live in the western part of the state. I grew up in SD on the southeastern side. With you staying in an RV and not purchasing a place, you have tremendous options. @Wild Bill's comment "If you're looking to purchase a home or land to build on you will pay out the nose anywhere within or near the hills" is pretty true.

To @Kaitum comment about not like the good ol' days, unfortunately that may be true. But that may be true everywhere.
If I could choose now, I would be in the Pierre area and north. Fishing and hunting are great and close enough for supplies as needed. It puts you in the immediate area for what you listed. As far as bull elk go, I fear anyone starting to apply now will have to wait more than 25-30 years. Who knows? Cow is much easier.

Good luck on your decision.

By the time I'm ready to make the move, we'll be buying a home and leaving the RV down in FL for the winter. I'm looking at a couple of States, but I keep coming back to SD in my searches.

Look at the Pierre/Chamberlain area if ya can. Lots of all around hunting/fishing opportunities and only about 3 from the hills.

I have lived most of my life in SD and a few years in ND. There is more public land in some areas of SD than others. The Pierre area is nice and puts you in the center of the state for quicker access to everywhere else. It does get real cold here in the winter and with windchills it’s will feel even worse so you need to be prepared for that as well. I have lived in three different areas of the state and they all had something a little different to offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back