Girl, Gun and Moose

jryoung

My wife drew a moose tag this year and she is going to show me how to fill the tag (I ate mine last year). She shoots a 7x57, which I am going to rework some loads from 120s to 150s for her...and I know thousands of moose have fallen victim to the 6.5x55. But I got to thinking as I have a Remington TI that I am going to rebarrel from 300 RSAUM, why not just put a brake on it for this one hunt? I can get it done for $175 so cost isn't too bad, and then I'll sell the barrel when I rechamber.

I realize that she should shoot what she is most comfortable with, just kicking thoughts if I should give her two options to shoot and the braked Ti would have even less recoil than the 7x57 while shooting 180s, faster...except I'm not a fan of braked rifles (which this one would be temporary).

What are you going to rebarrel the TI to?

I have a 6.5 blank in my garage right now, was thinking 260 Rem, but I'd need to get a new bolt. Was also thinking 6.5 SAUM, but I think I am done with wildcats (although you can buy resized cases). Maybe I just sell the blank and get a .35 for a 350 Rem so I can get points with Ben. Or finally get a .308 and go 300 WSM and stop wondering if I should have kept the M70 300 WSM I shipped to MN. :)

I have a 6.5 blank in my garage right now, was thinking 260 Rem, but I'd need to get a new bolt. Was also thinking 6.5 SAUM, but I think I am done with wildcats (although you can buy resized cases). Maybe I just sell the blank and get a .35 for a 350 Rem so I can get points with Ben. Or finally get a .308 and go 300 WSM and stop wondering if I should have kept the M70 300 WSM I shipped to MN. :)

I am obviously a big fan of the 260. I bet you PTG could fix that bolt issue.....

That Wizzum has been deadly. 2 shots = 1 big black bear and an elk. would probably have more notches in the stock had my custom not shown up.

Mono-bullets only?

If not I'd say see how that 7x57 shoots 160 Accubonds or Partitions.

700 TI in .260 is on my short wish list. I've always been amazed how much the original 700 TIs sell for on Gunbroker compared to their MSRP when they came out.

A 175 grain round nose in a 7x57 at a moderate velocity will make a lot of moose meat while being good out too 250 yards. The 6.5x55 kills Moose the same way. It's about a large for caliber bullet that penetrates at moderate velocity.

Mono-bullets only?

If not I'd say see how that 7x57 shoots 160 Accubonds or Partitions.

Was thinking that, given the lower velocity I won't have to worry about them fragmenting too much. if I put a brake on the Ti I'd shoot 180 partitions as Nosler has load for them (assuming it shoots), but have greater risk of fragmentation.

"Karamojo" Bell, the ivory hunter, killed 1000 elephants with the 7x57. I would say if your wife has a good bullet and has the patience to wait for a good shot, stick with the 7x57. I would not throw something new into a recipe that works well.

Was thinking that, given the lower velocity I won't have to worry about them fragmenting too much. if I put a brake on the Ti I'd shoot 180 partitions as Nosler has load for them (assuming it shoots), but have greater risk of fragmentation.

180 Partitions are not going to fragment in any situation IMHO.

You don't have to worry about any bullet fragmenting if you use the 7x57 & a big bullet.

Seriously. Listen to the Bens.

Since you have all the pieces I'd still do the 6.5 SAUM. Hornady makes brass now for it! That said, a brake on that rifle for the one hunt wouldn't be a bad way to go. But, if she's comfortable with the 7X57 just load an appropriate bullet and go hunt it. I'd put the brake money towards more components and shooting practice. Since you like Barnes, anything from 120gr on up would probably be more than sufficient. As you well know, finding them is the hard part anyway...

who cares about the bullet.Tell me please how you draw so many moose tags.Good luck to her on the hunt.Was it the same unit you drew

who cares about the bullet.Tell me please how you draw so many moose tags.Good luck to her on the hunt.Was it the same unit you drew

I think the odds are next to impossible....that said, while I have a chip on my shoulder about the unit I hunted last year, I'm not willing to put up another $2k to have go at it. I'm headed south out of the cedars and into the aspens.

Congrats to the wife! That's awesome.

Not that I've ever stopped a guy from getting a new gun or upgrading... if she's familiar with a particular rifle I think I would just use it. Having to "learn" a new rifle on a high pressure hunt could cause some angst.

Has she shot the Shamu? I'll bet with a little trigger time she could gain all the confidence she needs without a muzzle blaster.

My experience with about a dozen moose, is they are not particularly hard to kill, but some can soak up lead and can go quite a ways before they die.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back