Caribou Gear Tarp

getting started with reloading

Deerhunter80

Hey guys - any info on where to get started with reloading - I am sure this has been discussed, but I am curious if you are familiar with a video or something that would be of use. I'm going to be reloading 7mm wsm and only long gun cartridges so handgun rounds aren't my concern. Building the most accurate round is my most important goal.

A long time ago I purchased a partner press combo kit from RCBS. I still use the same press and scale, it came with a reloading manual. I have only added some pieces to make my life easier, IE a powder trickler, and a measure. Spend some time with books, go slow, lose the distractions like radio, tv, other people. It's a slippery slope, and you can get as carried away as you like, but you can get started with not much, and it's not alchemy. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Spend a lot of time searching the internet. I am sure that youtube is full of videos. A good reloading manual is also good for explaining the basics. One thing that you will find out, is that you never quit learning. I have reloaded for over 40 years and I have learned more in the last several years than all before that. The amount of info and technology available now is incredible.

I started off with a Herter's hand loading set when I was 16. I was lucky that I never blew myself up, because I had no one to show me and there was very little data. I would go into a local hardware store and he would sell me a pound of powder in a paper bag. I still have my original Hornady manual. The loads were a bit hotter then.:eek:

I started out with a Lee reloading set, and still use the press.Try and upgrade your powder scale and measure as soon as you can, it will save you some headache if you go that route. Youtube is a good resource, as are having several reloading manuals for reference. The one bit of advice I can give you is keep a notebook on your bench, and write down everything when you try out a new load, and just cross out the ones that don't shoot well. That way you can double check if you have tried a load already, and it will save you time as a quick check guide.

Second the diligent note keeping. I have note pads from the 80's when I started reloading. Get a manual or two and read them. Read the manual that comes with the die set, each manufacturer sets up their dies differently. No distractions and have fun. The one major advantage with reloading is that you can load premium bullets at the cost of a box factory low-end rounds.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back