PEAX Equipment

Getting Rid of Peep Sight - Pros/Cons?

Stagg412

As my eyes get older things are getting a little softer around the edges visually. Because of this and past issues with it not turning correctly, getting out of position, etc., I'm thinking of getting rid of the peep sight all together. Anyone else who has made this transition, do you regret it? Did it take a while to get used to? Did you go back?

Regardless of if it stays or goes, I'm planning to add a touchpoint where the tip of my nose touches the string, so I'm not worried about inconsistent anchoring. I already have a pretty large peep sight, and any bigger I will probably surpass the circular housing of my sights. Haven't looked at other sizes, TBH.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

If you remove the peep sight you won't be able to properly use the sight points in the circular housing.
I have a friend who took the sights off his compound bow and shoots very well. It may have been because he was shooting a longbow before he got a compound.

If you remove the peep sight you won't be able to properly use the sight points in the circular housing.
I have a friend who took the sights off his compound bow and shoots very well. It may have been because he was shooting a longbow before he got a compound.
Thanks for the input. I don't quite understand how I wouldn't be able to properly use my sights without it. Do you mean that I won't be able to see them well enough because of the string blocking my view (since it won't be split by the peep), or something else? It seems to me that I'll be able to better use the housing itself around the bullseye or whatever I'm aiming at if its the only circle I'm seeing. TIA for expanding on your comment.

Bare bow, esp compound, is bad ass, but I'm not going that route with mine.

Looking through the peep sight and focusing on one of you pins if you have multiple pins like I do gives you a sight plane.
It's hard to explain. Think of it as trying to use iron sights on a rifle but you only have the front sight and no rear sight.

If you remove the peep all you need to do is just line up the string with your pins and it wont be an issue I shot that way a long time ago you can cross the string with the pin or make it rest on the edge of the string
Im 57 and have a issue with seeing well any more need readers for every thing, so I went to a single pin site and really like it a friend uses a clarifier ( I think its the name) its a lens the goes in the peep and he likes that maybe that would work for you too
good luck

Thanks for the input. Once I'm able to get to a shop I'll probably look at some other peep sights and options and see what works.

You very much can use a sight with a circular housing without a peep as dgc explained. Peepless is one less thing to go wrong. I was taught to cover the pin with the string and compared to that I prefer the peep for the consistency. But, using the resting it on the edge method like dgc mentioned would probably work very well. Never have thought of doing it that way.

I just started using a peep 3 years ago after shooting without one for 20. I still don't like it, and will probably pull it off. Shot in plenty of 3d comps and killed many an animal without a peep sight

I tried a Mathews Halon at a shop a few years ago with pins but no peep and I was stacking arrows at 50 yards. I was amazed because I've shot a peep for almost the last 30 years. I also have considered going peepless since because of eye issues as I age but haven't done it... I also haven't shot without a peep since that day because I'm afraid to try it again.

I’ve never used one. I figure I shoot just fine without one, why add something else. Basically your anchor point is your rear “sight” and your pin the front sight.

If your peep isn't oriented correctly at full draw, then it isn't setup correctly. I don't pay any attention to my sight housing when shooting. I've never understood this practice.

If you need a bigger peep sight, then get a bigger peep sight. Nothing wrong with that.

Went to this style of peep when my eyes started get worse.

Attachments

• 20200522_203947.jpg
    20200522_203947.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
You can get peep sights with clarifiers that act as a lens and magnifier. They aren't cheap but they do work.

Back