Getting Old Sucks

48? Hell, I'm 59 and WISH that I was still 48! Enjoy it now, kiddo! It gets worse. A lot worse. I suggest you get into the best shape you can and make a mental effort to keep yourself moving and healthy. It's a lot easier now than later.

Reactions: JEL
haha, I'll be 5-0 this year, it's to the point of how well you can be at managing injuries. If something starts hurting, I lay off it at the gym or whatever caused the pain, if there's no choice then I just grit my teeth and try to power through....
this past year it was an aching achilles tendon, so I stopped running for 3 months, last fall it was a tendon in my elbow, so I layed off that for a LONG while, this June my angry appendix had to be taken out, 5 weeks later I still have a little pain after workouts and runs, so I have to let up a little bit, I figure that's just how it's gonna be.

I learned a while back from a rollover crash that yoga really really helps with aches and pains from being beat up over the years. I did a session just a few days ago and found myself thinking why didn’t I keep up with this? Check it out.

My wife bought a crossover symmetry kit this past winter. I grumbled a bit about the price but I have been using it a few times a week for several months and my shoulders feel better when it comes to archery, weight lifting and other activities. Not that they were bothering me before.

You could also do something similar to crossover symmetry with some cheaper exercise bands and looking at shoulder exercises online.

Used to be that when I saw an "old" guy walk past that was all bent over, I'd wonder, "What the hell is wrong with him?" I finally got it figured out.
Used to be the same sort of thing I’d think when passing some older folks driving super slow at night but now I totally get it.

Used to be the same sort of thing I’d think when passing some older folks driving super slow at night but now I totally get it.
As long as the highway marker lines are reasonably fresh, I'm still peddle to the metal. :)

I’m 43, and have torture tested my body. I played sports in high school and football through college. I’ve always been into risky sports too. I love mountain biking and snowboard in the winter. I’m getting faster on my mountain bike, but slower on my board due to a trashed knee. I hike like crazy in and out of hunting season. Why am I telling you this?

It hurts more than ever... However, adding in yoga and constant icing makes it manageable. Yoga has changed my life. It builds my core strength, flexibility and rests my anxious mind. Yoga with Adrien on YouTube is free and great. I refuse to sit down and let Father Time win. He will eventually, but I’ll go down fighting. Decide what you want and starting hiking towards it. It’ll suck at times, but you’ve got this.

In 2017 I was 71 when I did my Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan. Every year when I fill out my Montana Moose, bighorn sheep and Goat applications I wonder if I can still climb those mountains as they get steeper and higher each year.

I try to keep in shape with a weight workout 3 days a week and walk 18 holes of golf 3 days a week in the summer.

I learned a while back from a rollover crash that yoga really really helps with aches and pains from being beat up over the years. I did a session just a few days ago and found myself thinking why didn’t I keep up with this? Check it out.
My thysical therapist preaches the same. Yoga, yoga, yoga...
I always have some excuse to avoid... yet enough time to type here.

55 and i just ruptured my bicep tendon. meeting with the surgeon on the 10th. probably no bowhunting this year. first year since 82. enjoy your health while you got it.

l'm 70 and feel I've officially reached old age but I haven't quite given up yet. I have a younger friend last year who wanted to do a Archery Montana Elk hunt this year. I wasn't sure about it but I told myself months ago If I can just pull 55# with a compound I might give it a go. Starting out around January/Feb I got out a used cheap bow I had bought a couple years earlier to see if I could pull it. It was only set on 50#. I was able but just barely, as it was all I could pull. I had never liked that bow so I bought a newer 2018 or so used model and set it at 50. I struggled to pull it at first. But I kept shooting it over months and gradually upping the #'s. It had a max setting of around 65#. Just the end of last month I got up to 64.4 lb but that setting was hard to pull so I turned it down a turn and a half. I can pull it pretty good at 61 or so lbs (estimated) but may turn it down another half turn yet to establish my hunting weight. But most days I walk 5 or more miles in the morning and one or more in the evening. Mind you I don't do that year around but I really should, I just do it a few months leading up to Elk season. I shoot the bow almost every day and I've been loosing some weight also by cutting carbs. So all in all it's coming together pretty well. I hurt my shoulder years ago and still feel it a little but hasn't affected my shooting to a great extent which half surprised me but a good surprise. My knees for several years have felt like they were on the edge of going out as I tore ligaments in one knee and never had them repaired but they keep working though they start giving me problems when I try to jog so I just walk fast for now. I'm not trying to brag on myself, just saying you all can sometimes do more than you think. The hardest part is going forward and trying and if you try it gets easier after that.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back