MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Getting kicked off public land

Oneye

Watched this video today, amazing the crap some people try to pull. OnX maps is a great tool to have for sure, I've got the phone version and the GPS, it's worth it for sure. Just another example of a future of what hunting will be like if states get their way and start selling section by section of our amazing federal lands off. How many have had an issue like this?

https://youtu.be/o_jl3AbBNPg

Protect our public lands: http://www.backcountryhunters.org

And also know where you're at on them and use them: https://www.onxmaps.com

I got verbally attacked in Malta, Idaho by a guy that claimed I was trespassing. I thought it was going to come to blows.

He threatened to call the sheriff and I took out my phone and said, "That's a good idea, what's his number? Because if I'm right I'm pressing charges for interfering with a lawful hunt and posting public property."

He jumped in his truck and said, "I know where you parked. F'ing Utahns, always hunting in our spots," and then he took off.

Even though I knew I was right, I was so afraid he was slicing my tires I had to run all the way back to my truck.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth, I've never been back. I guess he won.

I subscribe to the Hushin channel and watched that entire hunt. With things line GPS and OnX Maps, I think (hope???) the good old days of good 'ol boys having their way is coming to an end, one crusty dickhead at a time.

Emrah

That was great man. Oneye- extremely impressed with your poise and demeanor.

Sorry, just to make it clear that wasn't me, this was just a YouTube video by Hushin I watched. Just thought it was worth sharing. However I agree his demenour was impressive, I have to admit I don't know if I could have been quite as polite.

Our Government would love to sell all federal land they have been trying and of course only the rich rich would buy it and good buy to our public land.

I've run into this a couple of times out west. Just the same I've found that, when in doubt, if I go knock on the rancher's door they are usually more than accommodating when it comes to helping me find property lines. I even had one tell me he wasn't sure exactly where the property line was and "as long as it was close go ahead and shoot one".

Common here in NM.
I carry my GPS w/onXmaps,BLM or FS map & usually the topo, a camera, cell phone with local law & G&F numbers in it. Oh, & a firearm...
Only had to go the whole routine a couple times. Most folks here do not know how to read a map,use a GPS and such,but they do savy when you call their bluff.
Some fence lines are off here too.....way off.

Brings to mind 3 half drunk hillbillys trying to tell me I couldn't be on BLM ground because their family leased the grazing rights.....................

Things got heated, I swear when I really freaked out and started yelling and threw my pack on the ground, one hillbilly was reaching for a pistol in the truck door.

Watch out for those types of losers.

I have already seen this as well and believe the guy in the truck also realized he was on camera and I'm sure that has something to do with him backing down. Don't forget, this was also edited so who really knows what happened.

A friend of mine was walking out hunting antelope somewhere by Jordan on blm this weekend. He said a truck hauling a gooseneck trailer came flying through the blm towards them. I guess he tried telling him he couldn't be there on blm. I didn't need to be there to know this rancher didn't know who he was yelling at and got put in his place. I've witnessed how that goes before and either the other guy backs down or there's a fight. Needless to say, they continued hunting that blm.

I have had the state Leasee ask to see my "Use Permit" back when it was separate.
I later found out I have the right to insist they SHOW ME there lease papers TOO.
"AS per WENDY"
Anyone that hunts where I hunt knows what I'm saying...
Anyway you don't have to show them in the field you can wait, as we did ,till the sheriff showed then we Figured things out. We hunt there often still...

I had some friends using remote public ground in AR for duck hunting. They found a honey hole nobody knew about that was next to private land with a leased pit. They were accosted by the lessees for trespassing. After an impasse, my friends hounded the game and fish to put up signs. When they did, it turned out the leased pit was actually on public ground! Haha.

Last edited:
I've had similar issues with landowners trying to kick me off public land , but not in the last 5 years or so. Same bullshit about - "I lease this land and so I own it". I always knew that was BS and always knew exactly where I was so never left the area as they demanded and more often than not got in a shouting match with them. Probably not a good idea for a lot of reasons like maybe getting shot but know way in hell I was going to let them get away with it. I'm sure a lot of people would leave rather than having the situation escalate out of control but I'm just not wired that way. They can stay the hell out of my way and I'll stay the hell out of theirs. Until they catch me trespassing which they won't because I don't, leave me the hell alone.

Just watched the video. I applaud the guy for keeping calm during what was surely a stressful situation. I actually feel sorry for the dumb redneck. He probably lived in that area for so long that he thought he had it all to himself. Increasingly over the years, hunters show up and disturb him. He thinks his best course is to just lie and hope they go away. Ironically, he reminds me of the dumb rednecks I interact with that don't understand that you can't trespass on private land even if it isn't posted. They don't want to understand the law and only see things the way they want to see them.

Most states have hunter harassment laws. These should probably be used only as a last resort when the harassment has already made it pointless to try and hunt there again. Last thing you want is to think you have won and end up with a bullet in your ass from someone who doesn't have the capacity to consider consequences.

Ironically, he reminds me of the dumb rednecks I interact with that don't understand that you can't trespass on private land even if it isn't posted. They don't want to understand the law and only see things the way they want to see them.
Private land not cultivated and not posted is accessible in Utah. Many folks forget that. But you are required to leave if asked and cannot enter if asked to not do so.

Trespassing
Utah Code §§ 23-20-14 and 23-20-3.5
While taking wildlife or engaging in
wildlife-related activities, you may not—
without written permission—enter or remain
on privately owned land that is:

Cultivated

Properly posted

Fenced or enclosed in a manner designed
to exclude intruders
In addition, you may not:

Enter or remain on private land when