Caribou Gear

Getting into suppressors

I have a poi shift, consistent 1 mrat right and high. All good suppressors and rifles should have a consistent shift. I have a heavy barreled rifle and direct thread. I have heard that some of the qd supressors are not as consistent though.
Same here, the POI shift on my Bergara 20 inch 308 is a very consistent 2 in low and 3 in right, on the 556 AR platform it is high and left, not near as consistent with the light barrel. Can gets branding hot after 5 rounds so best get an insulating wrapper.

A couple thoughts. I run one on a Browning XBolt Hells Canyon in .308. First, the reason that I use one for hunting is that I hunt on a horse farm where people board horses. A person could be climbing onto a horse at anytime. The reduced noise is a safety consideration because I don't want some poor kid getting bucked off when I shoot a deer.

Second, if you intend to use one on a standard barrel hunting rifle like I do, the weight of the suppressor matters in terms of Point of Impact (POI) shift. I originally bought a DD Wave suppressor and it is heavy. It significantly changed the POI when I screwed it on to the barrel. The suppressor changes the harmonics of the barrel. Therefore, once I screwed it on and I zeroed the rifle, it stayed on. There was no taking it off and on and expecting accuracy. If your rifle has a heavy barrel, it will make less of an impact on POI if the suppressor is heavier. I recently bought a Gemtech Tracker suppressor in 7.62 and it works much better with a standard barrel hunting rifle. It is very light, only about 10 oz. The POI shift is only about 2" down and 1" left, and that is consistent. However, the Tracker is not good on a semiauto rifle, like an AR, where you want to shoot 30 rounds off. Not meant for that.

I now use the DD Wave suppressor on an AR in 300BLK, works great. Use the Gemtech Tracker on my bolt guns that have threaded barrels.

I just picked up my tbac 338 ultra last week. Took just under 7 months. I was mentally preparing myself to be slightly unimpressed with the sound reduction. Not so. I threw it on my 338 RUM and I am very impressed with the amount of sound suppression with that thing! Very easily hearing safe. Quieter than a 22 lr for sure. I'm tickled to death.

I am interested to see how an elk will react to it at a few hundred yards.

Very good info. I figured the 2nd shot opportunity would be limited. But figured for predator hunting, will be more likely to call another one in. Or at least be able to call the area more often. Since the shot wouldn't be as recognizable. Mostly don't want to ruin my bobcat and fox stands. Would be nice for deer hunting also I would imagine. This wide open country where I live I think would be nice to not scare everything for miles.

Very good info. I figured the 2nd shot opportunity would be limited. But figured for predator hunting, will be more likely to call another one in. Or at least be able to call the area more often. Since the shot wouldn't be as recognizable. Mostly don't want to ruin my bobcat and fox stands. Would be nice for deer hunting also I would imagine. This wide open country where I live I think would be nice to not scare everything for miles.
I forgot to address my experience on predator hunting with a suppressor. Normally, I’m just an opportunistic coyote hunter. I have shot and killed 2 yotes with a suppressed 300wm while hunting elk. They were alone so no ideas about if I’d been able to take a shot at others at the same tine. However, in the cow elk hunt I described above, I shot her at about 9am. At around 8am, before I even had a clue that heard of elk was nearby, I took a long shot offhand at a coyote, and I believe I killed it, but didn’t confirm due to distance and it being the last day of elk season. The shot I took at the coyote was maybe 3/4 mile west and directly in the direction of where the elk ended up being, and they were up above a little so they really should have heard.

That's really cool. Everyone seems to have positive reviews with hunting. I think the ranchers will like me more when I go out, when I finally get one. I really am leaning towards the yhm resonator. Maybe get a rimfire further down the line. Don't own any handguns besides a 22lr.

My only complaint is the extra barrel length with them. That’s why I cut a howa mini 223 down to 16” and ackleyed and threaded it. Very handy

I wanted to mention one other thing. A suppressor also really allows you to hear the impact down range. It can be really helpful to get auditory feedback on the impact, and you won’t believe how well you’ll hear it.

My only complaint is the extra barrel length with them. That’s why I cut a howa mini 223 down to 16” and ackleyed and threaded it. Very handy
This is way if I break loose of the funds, one of a reflex design will get a hard look, with the GAP Jager near the top of the list.

I have one gun that has a super long barrel. I think that would be the issue gun. Only with how long it is. However thankfully it's really open country here. I think the report from a hit would be helpful. I am really looking forward to getting into suppressors. I heard both good and bad from others. Most people really seem to enjoy them, with little issues here and there.

I have one gun that has a super long barrel. I think that would be the issue gun. Only with how long it is. However thankfully it's really open country here. I think the report from a hit would be helpful. I am really looking forward to getting into suppressors. I heard both good and bad from others. Most people really seem to enjoy them, with little issues here and there.
I think length is overstated as an issue. My primary hunting rifle is a 26" Christensen Ridgeline, with about 8" of suppressor. I've hunted all over with it and had no problems. That being said, the rifle I'm having built does have a 22" barrel, but I'm trying to build the lightest, most compact, most powerful rifle I can for almost any hunting I may do. I have no problem carrying a longer gun with a can, its really no big deal.

I think length is overstated as an issue. My primary hunting rifle is a 26" Christensen Ridgeline, with about 8" of suppressor. I've hunted all over with it and had no problems. That being said, the rifle I'm having built does have a 22" barrel, but I'm trying to build the lightest, most compact, most powerful rifle I can for almost any hunting I may do. I have no problem carrying a longer gun with a can, its really no big deal.
I use a kifaru gunbearer and a long barrel is annoying as hell swinging in your face. Also sucks having the longer barrel when going through brush or trees. Open country and hunting close to pickup when I’m using a sling no problems with longer barrel

I use a kifaru gunbearer and a long barrel is annoying as hell swinging in your face. Also sucks having the longer barrel when going through brush or trees. Open country and hunting close to pickup when I’m using a sling no problems with longer barrel
91B9F664-0BED-4342-B242-3C9F6FC12D78.jpeg
I agree with you, the long barrel with a can at times can be frustrating for sure. That being said I still prefer to hunt with the can.

I use a gunbearer too, and I got used to the long barrel pretty quick. Its a little annoying in brush for sure, but its 100% doable.

I think it would be a bigger issue if it was more dense here. Tends to be more open here. When I hunt fox I use a rifle with a 18" barrel so not too horrible. I'm sure it's a matter of getting use to the new length when it's on.

For those who already have suppressors, did the muzzle velocity change after installing the suppressor? I have a CDS on my scope and am trying to figure out if I will need a new dial if I get a suppressor.

For those who already have suppressors, did the muzzle velocity change after installing the suppressor? I have a CDS on my scope and am trying to figure out if I will need a new dial if I get a suppressor.
All the data I've seen says no change to maybe a few FPS faster, maybe. But, your POI will most likely shift, sometimes significantly.

Back