Getting into suppressors

Vanishe187

So I have been looking a lot at suppressors recently. Have my mind made up on a yhm resonator r2. I really want to see if I get more shot opportunities because of it. I hunt predators like a mad man during fur season. I also would like to keep my bigger guns tolerable for they kids. Just curios as to what people think of the suppressors who run them. I don't have any full auto or shot barrel guns. Mostly gonna be on bolt or break barrel rifles. Also have an ar I will use it on, mine has a 16 inche barrel. I know ar style guns don't suppress as well, but not a gun I shoot a ton. It will be awhile before I pull the trigger, spent my suppressor funds on a new gun recently. However i plan on ordering within the next couple months.

One observation from my experience, while a good suppressor probably removes the need for hearing protection for that single shot in a hunting situation, I (and almost all the guys I see at the three ranges I frequent) still wear ear protection. Partly due to the much higher number of rounds fired at a range and partly because not everybody on the range is shooting suppressors. Hearing loss occurs over time and at levels lower than you might guess. As a 50-something who has lost some range of hearing over a lifetime of loud activities I view suppressors as a great companion to other ear protection in most multiple shot situations, but not a sole solution.

Last edited:
I've got a couple- .30 cal and .22

From my experience unless you're shooting subsonics at some niave critters your not going to have any more shot opportunities using a suppressor.

As VG mentioned above, they're not magical but do help. Ear pro is still needed if I'm shooting under any kind of roof or building as well as inside a box blind.

They make even the shortest of barrels seem long, heavy, and unweildy.

Lastly, holy s*** do they get hot! Even under normal slow shooting bolt action rifle conditions my stainless steel 30 cal suppressor will be too hot to handle after about 3 rounds. Shoot 10 rounds? Plan on leaving that thing to sit and cool down for 30 minutes and you may still need an oven mitt

All that being said, for stationary hunting in a non-confined space they are wonderful and my ears thank me every time I pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I’ve got my first on order but have called lots of coyotes with guys that have suppressors. When you call a double the second coyote does spook most of the time but usually doesn’t know where the sound came from and can sometimes be stopped. When calling in a single we have had way more luck calling in a second coyote after killing the first while using suppressors. Not sure if the muffled sound seems farther away so they still come in or what. Hoping to have mine by this fall and put it to good use

I've been a part of harvesting 3 pronghorn, 3 mule deer, and one cow elk with at least one suppressed rifle involved.

On the pronghorn, I shot my first shorter than ears with a .260 Rem and my AAC 762-SDN-6 can. My dad, being the terrible hunter that he his, left his rifle in the truck, so I handed him mine, and he dropped the other shorter than speed goat as it just stood around wondering what happened. They fell about 20 yards apart.

On the deer, I shot a large forkie, again with a .260 but with a Griffin Sportsman this time. The other deer, including a nice 3x3 stood there giving my brother in law a chance to drop him with an unsuppressed 30-06. My brother in law was only about 80 yards away from me, and after it was all over he said he wasn't even sure I'd shot, he just knew the deer were still there. The next year, I shot another forkie with my 300wm and a Griffin Sportsman Ultralight. Another forkie hung around, and if my dad hadn't messed up the shot he would have harvested that deer.

The cow elk was a solo hunt, with the 300wm and Griffin UL again. After I dripped the cow, the rest of the heard did just mill around for a bit before taking off.

I can't imagine hunting without a can, I love being able to hear the environment around me and not have ringing in my ears for a couple days afterward. I always still wear ear pro at the range. Now, when I'm shooting my purpose built 300blk with subs, or sub-sonic 22, I usually don't wear ear pro.

The YHM is an excellent can I have a YHM .22 Mite that they converted to Stinger spec for me. A great .22 can is really the best bang for the buck IMHO, Dead Air Mask, Thunder Beast Takedown 22, etc. For any hunting can my philosophy is that ultimate lightness is the best choice. Pay attention to mounting options, some of them really add unnecessary weight and length.

Thanks for the input. I know it's not gonna be tv quiet. That's not my main reason for a suppressor. I just want something that Is gonna help my hearing stay safer. Sometimes in the heat of the moment I forget to throw my plugs in. Usually when hunting, at the range I wear my earmuffs. I also would like to make it more kid friendly. I heard from others it reduces recoil, and with it being quieter not as intimidating for new shooters. I mostly shoot from a tripod so the weight isn't a huge issue. My 308 isn't a light gun anyway. One question is how did you set up the paperwork. Is it better to do a trust or just individual.

Is it better to do a trust or just individual.
I wanted to make it easier to allow my son and son-in-law to use the ones I bought so I bought them all into a trust. I used SilencerShop for my purchase and trust docs. If they have a partner gun store in your area it couldn't be easier to set up the trust and buy into the trust via them. There may be others that do the same thing, but hard to imagine anybody being easier to work with.

I remember as a young guy I got a Mossberg 500 12ga with an adjustable choke, the potato on the gun barrel! I used that gun quite a bit but don't ever remember adjusting the choke! I've seen a few photo's of a suppressor's on rifle barrels and they remind me of that old choke on the Mossberg. Got older and really didn't care for that potato out there!

So I have been looking a lot at suppressors recently. Have my mind made up on a yhm resonator r2. I really want to see if I get more shot opportunities because of it. I hunt predators like a mad man during fur season. I also would like to keep my bigger guns tolerable for they kids. Just curios as to what people think of the suppressors who run them. I don't have any full auto or shot barrel guns. Mostly gonna be on bolt or break barrel rifles. Also have an ar I will use it on, mine has a 16 inche barrel. I know ar style guns don't suppress as well, but not a gun I shoot a ton. It will be awhile before I pull the trigger, spent my suppressor funds on a new gun recently. However i plan on ordering within the next couple months.
Yankee Hill make great products, I have a titanium one that works with 20 to 30 caliber just screw it on the brake that is their connection point. I also have a 223 specific Black Rain that is excellent but not as versatile as it stays on one AR since it is threaded directly to the barrel. I have had the 30 cal can on a 556 and shot it next to the 22 specific can and could tell no difference between them. If you are spending that much on a can I think the versatility of being able to use on several different rifles with the quick change feature is important. The lack of directional reference for the muzzle related sound may leave game without sound to run from, but the bullet breaking the sound barrier is still pretty loud. There is a significant POI change when you hang a can on the barrel dynamics are different, not enough to put you off paper but can move the group 4-5 inches.

All mine are on a trust as well, and there is no better way to buy a can than through Silencer Shop. To mitigate POI shift, I still recommend as light as possible. For reference, my Sportsman Ultra Light with muzzle device is around 12 ounces, the AAC 762SDN6 is closer to 24 ounces. It was tough to get good groups with that much can on a sporter weight rifle.

My suppressors were individual purchases not on a trust. If I planned on collecting more the trust would be worthwhile but with only one or two it doesn't make much of a difference to me. A minor inconvenience is that my wife can't legally possess them without me.

My suppressors were individual purchases not on a trust. If I planned on collecting more the trust would be worthwhile but with only one or two it doesn't make much of a difference to me. A minor inconvenience is that my wife can't legally possess them without me.
I just bought my first suppressor and I created a trust. I’m adding my wife and 18 year old kids to the trust for two reasons. One, they can use the suppressor through the trust without me being present. Two, my wife won’t be a potential felon holding a suppressor illegal for her to process.

My use follows what others have said. 45ish percent reduction in recoil and reduced sound. It’s still loud but not terrible. I still fill a kick but it’s reduced.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info. I definitely am looking at a 30 cal for the versatility aspect. Figure if I enjoy it enough I'll buy a rim fire one next. I don't load or shoot any subsonic rounds, so I knew the crack would still be there. I was reading about a 8 month wait time. Is that still about what it's at or did the whole pandemic slow that down?

Cool thanks for the info. I definitely am looking at a 30 cal for the versatility aspect. Figure if I enjoy it enough I'll buy a rim fire one next. I don't load or shoot any subsonic rounds, so I knew the crack would still be there. I was reading about a 8 month wait time. Is that still about what it's at or did the whole pandemic slow that down?
The tim varies a bit by which ATF office is working on the application, the fastest for me was 6 months and slowest was 12. The 22 "tactical" matches are very popular and most of the guys use suppressed rifles in that game. I have never shot in one, but the guys I know who do tell me the can has less POI issues that the larger calibers.

I have a gemtech dagger, wanted a direct thread. I love it. Definitely added weight and length to the barrel which isn’t ideal in all hunting scenarios but I make it work anyways. The noise dampening is why I bought it, the reduced recoil and ability to keep eyes on the target or animal after the shot is a huge advantage. I have seen every bullet impact the animals since I started using it.

When it comes to getting a second shot on a second animal or follow up shot. The animals definitely know a shot was fired but often confused where it came from. You may get an extra couple seconds over conventional. If your hunting partner is over a hillside and waiting for a shot though, to come help you pack out.... you better hope you have phone service because they won’t register the shot as yours.

the guys I know who do tell me the can has less POI issues that the larger calibers.
Could be a barrel thickness and length thing too - the competition.22LRs I have seen tend to have full bull-barrels and are fairly short. The same holds true for centerfire cartridges - the thicker the barrel and the shorter the barrel generally the less the POI shift since there are fewer barrel "harmonics" in play with the thicker/shorter barrel.

The tim varies a bit by which ATF office is working on the application, the fastest for me was 6 months and slowest was 12. The 22 "tactical" matches are very popular and most of the guys use suppressed rifles in that game. I have never shot in one, but the guys I know who do tell me the can has less POI issues that the larger calibers.
I have a poi shift, consistent 1 mrat right and high. All good suppressors and rifles should have a consistent shift. I have a heavy barreled rifle and direct thread. I have heard that some of the qd supressors are not as consistent though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back