PEAX Equipment

Getting into suppressors

Barrel harmonics
So if the Barrel harmonics change the point of impact but the muzzle velocity stays the same, then as long as I re-zero my CDS scope after installing the suppressor the dial should work almost the exact same as it did before the suppressor. Is this train of logic valid?

So if the Barrel harmonics change the point of impact but the muzzle velocity stays the same, then as long as I re-zero my CDS scope after installing the suppressor the dial should work almost the exact same as it did before the suppressor. Is this train of logic valid?
I would say that this has been correct in my experience. I usually shoot FFP scopes, but if I rezero to the POI with the can, the dope for that rifle remains correct.

I don’t have cds so I can’t confirm completely but when I have my can on I am one mrat right and one high at 200 yards. My ballistics chart does not change.
I would say that this has been correct in my experience. I usually shoot FFP scopes, but if I rezero to the POI with the can, the dope for that rifle remains correct.
I agree

accuracy impacts?

Has anybody experience with the Raptor from AB suppressors?

What about the Rex Silentium cans? The MG7

accuracy impacts?
I have 6 different suppressors from 6 different vendors for 4 different use cases. None have materially affected precision, each has shifted POI. The degree of shift seems to be driven by barrel length/thickness more so than an individual suppressor design. YMMV.

Last edited:
I bought a .30 silencerco omega as the F-150 of suppressors, primarily for kids recoil reduction. I would now not hunt without one, to the point I’m selling my 338 and I am extremely unlikely to shoot my 45-70 or .375 in the foreseeable future. Literally unreal recoil and sound reduction on a .260 and 7mm-08. Good on my 22 hornet and almost no effect on my .22. Definitely want to get a 22 suppressor now.

I bought a .30 silencerco omega as the F-150 of suppressors, primarily for kids recoil reduction. I would now not hunt without one, to the point I’m selling my 338 and I am extremely unlikely to shoot my 45-70 or .375 in the foreseeable future. Literally unreal recoil and sound reduction on a .260 and 7mm-08. Good on my 22 hornet and almost no effect on my .22. Definitely want to get a 22 suppressor now.
I am no expert, but I would not shoot .22LR through a non-dedicated suppressor. They are extremely dirt loads that can really junk up a suppressor. Dedicated .22LR suppressors are designed to better handle the low-temp, high-junk coming out of a .22LR.

I have 6 different suppressors from 6 different vendors for 4 different use cases. None have materially affected precision, each has shifted POI. The degree of shift seems to be driven by barrel length/thickness more so than an individual suppressor design. YMMV.
Same experience, the Yankee Hill can that is my all around works equally well on 30 cal down to 20, it is titanium and is the lightest one I own. The Black Rain can that is exclusive to .556 is heavier and seems to have same level of sound suppression. The smallest POI shift is on a stiff barrel Bergara .308 the largest is on a long barrell .556 Ackley, still on paper but about 6 inches low right for example.

accuracy impacts?

Has anybody experience with the Raptor from AB suppressors?

What about the Rex Silentium cans? The MG7
I went to the Bozeman Gun Show on Friday and briefly talked to the Empire Arms guys out of Manhattan. I believed they had the Rex suppressors there and really talked them up. I didn't have enough time to chat much but plan to go in there and learn more about them.

He also said they were waiting on the new efile process to be put in place and said it should significantly speed up the approval process.

Serious question. Why? I can't imagine having a suppressor hanging off of the end of my hunting rifle. mtmuley

Mostly coyote calling with mine but I am building a hunting rifle for it too. I have a constant ringing in my left year that I’d rather not make any worse and it’s tough to keep plugs in your ears with a cap on when it’s 0 degrees out. Being only 7oz it doesn’t add a lot. Put it on the wife’s Christensen arms 7mm-08 and it only moved the balance point an inch forward. Other than the length it doesn’t feel anymore muzzle heavy. Rifle I’m building only has a 20” barrel so will be even better with suppressor

Serious question. Why? I can't imagine having a suppressor hanging off of the end of my hunting rifle. mtmuley
Reduced recoil, quicker re-acquisition, doesn’t blow out your eardrums. Length of the rifle sucks though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back