Getting into hunt area

wyomingtim

Scenario: You know the area you want to hunt but it is some distance off the road - let's say 1 mile.

Question: Do you wiat until first light and hunt your way back to the area, or leave before first light and get there 30 minutes to an hour before shooting hours and start hunting the area you have selected?

No question,......you travel in the dark to get to your "spot". Let's say your area was 3 miles in.........if you hunt your way there at first light, the morning is almost past by the time you arrive. Even 1 mile in,...burn hunting light in an area close to the road that would be better spent "back in"? If the area close to the road is great, hunt it,.....otherwise, pass it by in the dark and get to where the action is,........
JMOP
DS

I always go in so I can be right where I want to be at first light. Kind of a pain though when it's a 3 hour hike.;) This year I might try a spike camp that's only 1/2 hour from where I like to be. At least that's what I am thinking.:rolleyes:

I like to be whereIi'm hunting as soon as I can see through my binos. That could mean leaving an 1-3 hours before daylight.

I usually thank the guys I see walking in about 2 hours after daylight because they usually push animals right to me. :)

Scenario: You know the area you want to hunt but it is some distance off the road - let's say 1 mile.

Question: Do you Wait until first light and hunt your way back to the area, or leave before first light and get there 30 minutes to an hour before shooting hours and start hunting the area you have selected?

I am sorry, but what kind of question is that????

Why would you wait tell first light???? Is there a boogieman out there:)

The reason I ask is this.....
I am hunting a new area - a new state. I am getting general guidance on where the herds may be (spike tag). I have done both, hunted my way in and walked to a spot and waited for sunrise. The times I have walked in prior to sunrise I always try to get there plenty ahead of time to allow things to settle as well as wait for others to push animals toward me. I need to find some of thsoe escape funnels here.

Thing is, It depends on the area. There is an Area we hunt towards the latter part of the season that we ALWAYS go in 2 hours befopre light and we're sitting whe when the sun peaks up. Truth is, It's always at least 1 hour of sitting before the Elk come by, but we want to be in place.

There are other spots that harbor elk right off the road. We've pushed them out many a times trying to get further back in before light. If the area has elk potencial 100 yards off the road, wait till light. I mean really, why hike 1-3 miles back in for a spike when you can kill one a couple hundred yards off the road ?

My partner and has gotten an elk with his boy every year by waiting. 2 of the last 3 years it's been bigger bulls than we take. We're 3 miles in before light and they still haven't gotten out of bed. The area and canyon set up is the key.

I like to be on the divide when neighboring states open their elk season. I see ALOT of game. I have to get up early and drive 80 miles, then walk straight up about 1/2 mile. It is way worth it. On opening day in the state I'm hunting I like to do the same thing only turn around and look the other direction. The rest of the season I think darkness was meant for sleep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back