Gettin old aint for wusses

gouch

In the last week and a half I have been to the optometrist three times for a torn retina (I'm writing one eyed because of a blood clot blocking the center of my vision in my right eye.) I have been to urgent care and the Orthopedist for a knee that decided to no longer do its job. In both cases, when I asked what caused this problem? The answer was the same. "You're getting old." I'm supposed to be be out hanging trail cams, exploring some burns from large fires from a few years ago and getting proficient with my new bow. Instead I am hobbling around the house with my dad's old cane trying not to trip over anything because of a lack of depth perception. Getting old sucks but as they say, it beats the alternative.

In the last week and a half I have been to the optometrist three times for a torn retina (I'm writing one eyed because of a blood clot blocking the center of my vision in my right eye.) I have been to urgent care and the Orthopedist for a knee that decided to no longer do its job. In both cases, when I asked what caused this problem? The answer was the same. "You're getting old." I'm supposed to be be out hanging trail cams, exploring some burns from large fires from a few years ago and getting proficient with my new bow. Instead I am hobbling around the house with my dad's old cane trying not to trip over anything because of a lack of depth perception. Getting old sucks but as they say, it beats the alternative.

About 15 years ago a doctor told me "When a body hits 40 years old it starts breaking down mechanically and when it hits 50 years old it starts breaking down chemically".

The other night I was standing naked with my butt to the mirror looking over my shoulder. My wife looked at me and asked" what are you doing?". I sad I was figured if I had a warranty it would be printed on my butt. I just wanted to see if had expired like a lot of my body parts.

I call these the "rebuild years". Hunting is not as far, not as fast but will be every year till I die. A few years ago I rode up behind an ancient hunter within feet before he heard me. We talked briefly and I found he was 97. That encounter established my long term goal for my future.

For you young ladies and gents, suck it up! The road gets rougher and it ain't easy. For you old goats- give it your best shot - one step at a time.

I've had both knees replaced, my neck vertebrates fused, arthritis is both shoulders, diabetes and gout. I'm still out there. Not very fast or agile, but I'm out there. Getting old certainly sucks.

I am 64 now, got numbness in my left foot, two broken toes in left foot. I got cataracts in my eyes that will need surgery eventually. I have arthritis in my hips, hands and surgery on both shoulders and had a big umbilical hernia surgery fixed. I don't walk fast no more and my hunting buddy and his brother will prolly go ahead without me and I will walk at my own pace and maintain radio contact with them. But I can still climb them hills and get up on them ridges and hike in a good 4-5 miles from the roads. Won't be able to keep up with elk if they are on the move but I can strategize and try to position myself where I think they may come through or let them orange hat road hunters push them to me. I don't intend to give up hunting until my health just will not support it no more.

Man this thread hits home...picked up a ladder the other day and kicked a piece of rope off one of the legs and pow!! My back is screaming at me going on day 4...

I say this while on ice and a tens unit...🤬

I pinched a nerve in my lower back/sciatic nerve back around spring break right when covid hit. I hobbled around, was in pain 24/7 and drank myself to sleep every night in hopes it would just go away. I finally went to urgent care a few weeks ago and got the steroid, muscle relaxer and pain pill cocktail.

I can finally walk almost normal again. Feels good. I had figured my life as I knew it was over. Not being able to walk is hard for someone who loves being outdoors.

Man this thread hits home...picked up a ladder the other day and kicked a piece of rope off one of the legs and pow!! My back is screaming at me going on day 4...

I say this while on ice and a tens unit...🤬
My dad still has bad memories of the time me or one of my siblings ( I can’t remember who did it ) walked up and dialed up his tens unit to max.

I’ll be 51 in 6 n a half weeks , I still feel good , I feel I’ve been blessed with some good genetics , and only being 5’7” ish and have always been some what in good weight , As I got older I never let it get out of control, Have a few minor little aches and pains from my job joints and stuff but nothing that lasts long term and because I live so close to the elk woods and I scout year-round and hike a bunch , I still stay pretty darn active and my job is somewhat active and I think that helps to. I seen the doctor a couple times in the last year and a half for some aches and pains , and took tests To make sure nothings going on with my body as opposed to like saying oh that’s nothing, and then you find out , if you’d done something a year and a half ago you’d been doing great but now you’re in real trouble so I always get over paranoid and go see a doctor immediately

1595034229718.gif

Last edited:
I have been retired for 12 years and I am not close to what I used to be. I can still pack a buck out but it now takes 2 trips. Knees, shoulders, elbows and on and on. My doctor and I are seeing way too much of each other. I still hunt a lot I just don't go as far.

When the VA pegged my % Last year I had a female co-worker in the old job make a snide comment. Irked me pretty well so I showed her the list of shiz wrong with me from eBenefits......her jaw dropped. I said "Yeah, so feel free to f#$% off!!" She was a hag anyway :) At this point I just realize that what is going to hurt, what is going to make it hurt and how long it will hurt. Price to be paid for having been unkind to my body and taking it for granted in my youth.

I call these the "rebuild years". Hunting is not as far, not as fast but will be every year till I die. A few years ago I rode up behind an ancient hunter within feet before he heard me. We talked briefly and I found he was 97. That encounter established my long term goal for my future.

For you young ladies and gents, suck it up! The road gets rougher and it ain't easy. For you old goats- give it your best shot - one step at a time.

Ninety-seven, well that’s sweet as sugar to my brain!
I am adding younger guys to my camp. My strategy to hunting has changed a bit as the mountains are getting taller and my legs shorter. Heck, they’ve got to eat and I figure at some point in the future I will become the camp bitch but not yet. The Doctor gives me crap about hiking with an aortic aneurysm but I’m following my passion just as I’ve always done (he doesn’t know about packing meat). I love my new titanium shoulders! After two years I am shooting my bow again and turning up the poundage.
Will be a few weeks shy of 73 this hunting season. I cross paths with guys older than me in the mountains all the time many of them way more broken up than me. These native Montanans are tough (it does kind of bother me to get passed on a hike by an 80 Y.O. but attitude of gratitude!

Last edited:
Where’s that “I’m 22 what’s your excuse?” kid? He should probably read some of this. 😂

At 30, I’ve outlived my older brother. Age is a gift denied to many.

Don’t have any aches and pains to compete with what some of you have dealt with. Good for you all for still getting after it!

Back