Caribou Gear

Get Your Comments into the Elk Citizens Advisory Group

Schaaf

In light of the UPOM Lawsuit I think it's more important than ever to get your comments into the Elk Citizens Advisory Group.

I really think this group might be our best bet to make some meaningful changes.

The group has consistently been open to the public's input and suggestions about how to deal with our current issues and I guarantee that groups and people from the other side are in their email inbox. Their next meeting is Wednesday, May 25 and public comment can be emailed to [email protected]. You can also provide public comment via Zoom but the deadline to register is noon on Tuesday, May 24.

My email will dive into two main issues where I think the group can make suggestions.

1. Season Structure: No other western state manages Elk the way Montana does with an 11 week General Season across most of the state and seasons on either end resulting in 6 months of pressure. This management style might have worked when Montana had 400k people but in 2022 this style is no longer working and is in fact making our problems worse by teaching elk to find the safety zones on private land. I will recommend that the group look to our neighbor to the South to see how they structure the elk seasons and separate the season from deer.

2. My second suggestion is that the group advises FWP to make a more concerted effort on habitat restoration projects on public lands working with the BLM, FS, and USFWS. We need to allocate more resources into our public lands and make it so elk don't have to leave public land for habitat purposes. In my opinion, FWP has done a good job over the last decade of conserving acres of land but I haven't seen the habitat side of that keep up.

There's some good people on the group that are interested in your thoughts but they need to hear from you.

Timely reminder. I would encourage everyone to watch the meetings. They are long, but informative.

Gonna watch the last one before I comment.

I registered yesterday. Supposedly we were going to receive a link to join the zoom call. Nothing has shown up in my inbox yet. 🤷‍♂️

In case anyone missed it like me and wants to listen:

Im still listening but it sounds like they prefer comments to be submitted to each members email?

I commented but 4 minutes isn’t much time to offer solutions. Especially when you tend to ramble like I do…🤦‍♂️

Definitely going to be emailing more content.

Back