PEAX Equipment

Germany or Austria hunting, anyone been?

wa_archer

My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany next year to the Regensburg area to where our friends are currently deployed to. Anyone ever been to the area for hunting? I have been looking both Germany and Austria since its in the southern region of Germany. Curious on hunting outfitters, legalities (im assuming have to hunt with guide), and what guys would go for. I love mountain hunting but cant afford an alpine ibex hunt. Eyeing chamois, roe deer or mouflon. Anyone hunted and or ate any of those and have a preference. We dont have any dates set for sure yet so open to seasons a bit.

Try a search on Germany big game hunt using Google. Seems a guide is required and they tend to prefer using a stand or game drives. A similar search on Austria will find similar results.

I’ve done the google searching just figured would try and get some first hand experience/ knowledge.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany next year to the Regensburg area to where our friends are currently deployed to. Anyone ever been to the area for hunting? I have been looking both Germany and Austria since its in the southern region of Germany. Curious on hunting outfitters, legalities (im assuming have to hunt with guide), and what guys would go for. I love mountain hunting but cant afford an alpine ibex hunt. Eyeing chamois, roe deer or mouflon. Anyone hunted and or ate any of those and have a preference. We dont have any dates set for sure yet so open to seasons a bit.
Sir, Austria is one of my favorite countries to visit, that does not have a beach. ;)

I loved skiing Austria
I loved driving thru Austria, towns and countryside
I loved hunting in Austria
I loved watching the Lippizzaner's perform and wanted one, but that never happen :(

So, whether you hunt or not, I recommend you take a few days or a month and visit Austria. And if you do, dont stay in any of the new hotels, stay in the castles that have been converted to hotels, both in the cities and mountains. Especially the ones in the mountains.

I have not hunted in Germany and have not hunted in Austria in recent years. But when I did we always stayed in hunting lodges (converted castles ) and hunting estates, for the most part. However one of my favorite hunting estates and castle ( Rothschild ) has been sold and I do not know its current status.

But when we went, the accommodations were wonderful, hunting fairly easy ( in comparison ) but good, excellent and abundant game animals, magnificent scenery !

I was asked to respond to your post sir, but all my information is dated. but Austria is beautiful and hunting Austria "was" good and easy.

As to Germany, since your friend is currently there, I would ask him to do some leg work for you. He should be able to find out everything you need to know fairly easy.

Excited for you, have a wonderful trip

I have not hunted in Germany (when I was working there I did not have time to obtain my Ausländerjagdschein) but have traveled fairly extensively in Germany and a good part of Austria. Do you want a more alpine hunt or a stand hunt? I also did not see you mention Red Deer (Rotwild) and I would suggest that as an option as well. Bavaria (and the Tirol) are one of my favorite regions in the world. Great food, beer, warm people, and endless outdoor opportunities. If you have travel or location questions feel free to ask!!

Side note- in Regensburg you are also very close to the Czech Republic and you might investigate that as well.

I have not hunted in Germany (when I was working there I did not have time to obtain my Ausländerjagdschein) but have traveled fairly extensively in Germany and a good part of Austria. Do you want a more alpine hunt or a stand hunt? I also did not see you mention Red Deer (Rotwild) and I would suggest that as an option as well. Bavaria (and the Tirol) are one of my favorite regions in the world. Great food, beer, warm people, and endless outdoor opportunities. If you have travel or location questions feel free to ask!!

Side note- in Regensburg you are also very close to the Czech Republic and you might investigate that as well.
Yes I did leave red deer out, as from what I could find those hunts were in the fall and we will be going early summer time frame. I would love to do more of an alpine hunt vs stand. I had not checked out Czech. Do you know if you need to have your Ausländerjagdschein to hunt in Germany at all? I kept seeing this pop up when looking at hunting related in Germany and couldn’t find if it was only needed for hunting on your own.

Sir, Austria is one of my favorite countries to visit, that does not have a beach. ;)

I loved skiing Austria
I loved driving thru Austria, towns and countryside
I loved hunting in Austria
I loved watching the Lippizzaner's perform and wanted one, but that never happen :(

So, whether you hunt or not, I recommend you take a few days or a month and visit Austria. And if you do, dont stay in any of the new hotels, stay in the castles that have been converted to hotels, both in the cities and mountains. Especially the ones in the mountains.

I have not hunted in Germany and have not hunted in Austria in recent years. But when I did we always stayed in hunting lodges (converted castles ) and hunting estates, for the most part. However one of my favorite hunting estates and castle ( Rothschild ) has been sold and I do not know its current status.

But when we went, the accommodations were wonderful, hunting fairly easy ( in comparison ) but good, excellent and abundant game animals, magnificent scenery !

I was asked to respond to your post sir, but all my information is dated. but Austria is beautiful and hunting Austria "was" good and easy.

As to Germany, since your friend is currently there, I would ask him to do some leg work for you. He should be able to find out everything you need to know fairly easy.

Excited for you, have a wonderful trip
Yeah our friends who are there unfortunately do not hunt or know the first thing about it. Thanks for the tips on the older castles that sounds amazing.

Yes I did leave red deer out, as from what I could find those hunts were in the fall and we will be going early summer time frame. I would love to do more of an alpine hunt vs stand. I had not checked out Czech. Do you know if you need to have your Ausländerjagdschein to hunt in Germany at all? I kept seeing this pop up when looking at hunting related in Germany and couldn’t find if it was only needed for hunting on your own.
I believe you will need a Ausländerjagdschein as well some type of insurance coverage (although that may be with an outfitter). There MAY be an exemption based on hunter's ed but I would not count on it. You should distil down the area you are interested in and find outfitters who will have precise knowledge. If you want alpine hunting you are probably looking at least 3 hours south of Regensburg.

I have been to Germany and Austria a number of times. Though I have never hunted there, I have looked into it a bit. You may want to look at the website for FACE (European Federation for Hunting and Conservation) https://www.face.eu/. Other forums, such as Accurate Reloading (accuratereloading.com), have more hunters experienced in Europe. Both Germany and Austria have deep-seated hunting cultures and, even if you don't go hunting, you will find interesting hunting museums, hunting stores, etc. You can look for Franconia Jagd stores (if they are still in business; franconia.de). You may also find some of the custom gun shops very interesting such as zapf jagdwaffen near Coburg. Also in the Coburg area (which is not too far from Regensburg): the Veste Coburg (aside from being a very well restored, impressive fortress it has a large collection of hunting crossbows and guns going back hundreds of years and a room entirely of wood inlay depictions of hunting scenes), the Tambach hunting museum and wild game park, the city of Suhl is near Coburg (where the Merkel HQ and factory are and which was historically the focus of German gunmaking), nearly every field around Coburg has a high seat on the edge - and the city's town square is known for the best bratwurst in Germany. In Austria, the town of Ferlach is noted for its custom gunmaking shops that produce highly ornate guns. I'm sure there are other interesting hunting related areas. My impression is that it is easier for a nonresident to hunt in Austria than in Germany.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back