Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Germany for a month

kiwi hunta

Have been picked, selected well actually just told I'm going to Germany for a month, mid April to mid May, nice little place called Braunschweig aka: Brunswick about an hour south east of Hanover.

Have to do the sign off on the new railroad operating system, ie: Falco and electronic train graphing, a system similar to the Westinghouse system in the USA called Phoenix, never done a large capital investment sign off in my life :eek:.

Anyway its first class all the way including accomodation :D, what I want to know is there any "dont miss" places in Europe I should see, I have 4 free weekends and may be able to extend another week on the end and it seems flights {and train trips at 150 mph} are pretty damn cheap, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks fullas
Jeff.

Dude.... You're jsut a Hop/skip/jump away from Switzerland.If you just on the train with a Euro Pass and Decide to head that way, let me know. I'll hook you up with some contacts !!!

When I was in Switzerland we went to Italy and France Via the train. there is more places to see then a lifetime will let you.

Hi Kiwi how ya been bud? Congrats on the job in Germany, you will do a great job and enjoy urself over there and by all means have fun.

Kiwi,

What do you like to do for entertainment? There is everything from the regular tourist trap things to hiking to more adult entertainment etc etc. I lived in Germany for 6 years and traveled all over the the country. As for must see items:

For my money a weekend in Berlin would be a must: Great City, Great Food, FUN people and more to do then you can get in on a weekend.

There are tons of Castles and Estates in that area. Some allow you to stay. Take in a German Beer Fest while you are there. There should be some going then also the Beirgartens will be open and they are always a happening place.

The city of Hannover has more museums, galleries, great restruants, beautiful women and much more to keep a guys interests.

Nemont

Kiwi,

You are about to have more fun than you can stand...
Round trip flights from Germany to places like Paris, Rome, London are about $150 or less on easyjet.com
Why ride a train at 150 mph when you can ride a rental rocket on the autobahn?
Everyone should try that for a couple hundred miles.
Look into Castle Braunfels, kinda cool for an afternoon tour.
Personally I thought Berlin was a slight let down. Most of the 'historic' stuff was bombed out during WW11. I did like checkpoint Charlie, the church in the middle of town, stuff like that. As in all european cities, utilize mass transit, DO NOT RENT A CAR!!! Subways, buses, trolleys etc are cheap and efficient!
Amsterdam is great-even for me. I don't drink or smoke or use hookers but still had a great time!
Rome is a must see for very live person but a week is not enough time much less a weekend.
Cheap sex trade in Czech and Romania I am told....
On the other hand...
Probably the most thought provoking day I spent in Germany was our afternoon at Bergen-Belsen(the concentration camp where Anne Frank died).
Enjoy your trip, for specifics, send me an e-mail- [email protected]

Nikster,

But Berlin is so much different then the rest of Germany. It doesn't shut down at 6pm like every where else. The best nightlife anywhere in Germany is in Berlin. IMHO.

Jeff

Well....................... April and most of 2008 have been and gone, the dry run testing at the Siemens factory found more bugs than than in a Louisiana swamp :D, but anyway tickets and confirmation arrived today, leave Australia 11 September for a month in Germany hump, cost to the company, over 20K USD :eek:, mind you what the company are paying for the project has jumped to over 20 million USD, I reckon my hand might be shaking signing off each document page :cool:.

So got lucky and its during the beerfest :D so obviously a trip to Munich first weekend is a requisite and I also want to visit the miniature world in Hamburg.

I can book out of the Hotel over the weekends and book in anywhere else in Europe and the company will transfer and accept the payment, so wadya reckon, try and find some hunting as should be hunting season, or just go touristy and chase the hotties around Milan and Copenhagen :p

Cheers
Jeff.

kiwi-
Hunting in Germany requires a German License, which requries a 10 week course. However, great hunting can be found in Czech Republic right next door and right now our dollar kicks a$$ there ( one of the few places it does ), not sure how the Aussie currency does, but should be good also. If you want to do any hunting while there....that is the place. Do a google search on it and you should come up with several options and prices

Hit Octoberfest in Munich and the Bavarian area of southern Germany was pretty cool also. A tour of Mad King Ludvig's castles was pretty neat too.

Taking the train to the Nice on the Mediterrainian was alright but not sure if Euro-rail could make that happen in just a weekend.

I'm sure you will have fun.

Agree with Bwana, Bavaria is pretty cool. Town of Garmish is nice, plus you can hit the alps in several countries all in weekend down there ( Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy ). Lots of neat little mountain towns. In Garmish, you can take the lift to the top of the Zugspite, one of the tallest peaks in the area.

Also, if you are looking to fly while in Europe, check out Ryan Air.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back