Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gear recommendations from the field

Big Tex

With lots of folks hitting the woods and putting to new gear to the test, thought I'd see what's working. Couple things that were new to me this year, although not new overall, that I thought were worth every penny were:

- OnX maps on my iPhone. Wow, it made my Garmin Oregon feel like a rotary phone and completely obsolete.
- Havalon replaceable blade knife - Boy I thought my personal knife was sharp as we started to quarter my bull, but I quickly borrowed my buddies Havalon and never looked back.

What recommendations do others have?

Real coffee. I was using Via but brought my Ti french press last go around. Very much worth the weight penalty.
Leukotape. Only thing I've found that will keep my heels from getting blisters in the early season until they are toughened up.
A pillow case. Just stuff in the clothes I'm not wearing. Something about my head sleeping on cotton is way better than any stuff sack/inflatable pillow, etc.

I'm reaching the point where my Lowa Rangers have officially reached the "getting the shit pounded out of them" stage, and they are holding up quite well.

Good stuff here!

I never am elk hunting without my Havalon, good binos harness, and Stony Point Shooting Sticks (rifle season). I've also become a big fan of taking my MSR Pocket Rocket and a 3-serving Mtn House. Just having that hot packet in my hands or coat while it "cooks" is reason enough! Getting a hot meal doesn't hurt and I seem to stay on the mountain longer with a little more weight in my pack.

A small bullet thermos of coffee in my pack. Neoprene cover for it stays hot all day and really warms you up when it's bitter cold out. No need to make it on the run, little weight added to pack.

Got some new, lighter hiking poles. With one of those rubberized twist ties, they make shooting sticks as sturdy as any dedicated shooting sticks. Used them (and my rifle) to shoot my Maroon Bells buck last week.

I bought a long handled titanium spoon and that is the ticket for any meal prep or for eating out of pouches such as Mountain house type meals, tuna pouches or eating from the pot. Mind-blowingly simple purchase that makes life easy and light.

I got new Asolo boots that were total rockstars. We averaged 10-12 miles a day and my feet did well, never got blisters and never got wet. We had a brutally wet 3-4 days and we stayed in camp for hours each day so my buddy could dry his boots. Mine were always dry inside.

Alaskan Guide Creations Bino Harness was great this year.

Also my Inreach IMO is probably the best thing I have bought in many years

I'll second the Alaskan Guide Creations bino harness.

Also, finally upgraded some clothing to Sitka and don't think I'll ever look back - or maybe I'm just scared to because the credit card companies will catch up to me! Either way, well worth it.

Have to give a thumbs up to sawyer mini and platypus gravity works, as well.

Last edited:
Good stuff here!

I never am elk hunting without my Havalon, good binos harness, and Stony Point Shooting Sticks (rifle season). I've also become a big fan of taking my MSR Pocket Rocket and a 3-serving Mtn House. Just having that hot packet in my hands or coat while it "cooks" is reason enough! Getting a hot meal doesn't hurt and I seem to stay on the mountain longer with a little more weight in my pack.

I've been doing the same thing with my stove for a couple seasons now, I don't mind hauling it with me all day so I can make a cup of coffee and some oatmeal up on the mountain while I'm glassing. It sure improves my attitude in the morning...

OnX Maps for an iPhone and leukotape were my two best purchaces this year. Being a gear hog, I've got most everything else - and a lot more...

I prefer the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife to the Havolon. You have more of a blade and much easier to swap blades in the field.

Also, took Primos trigger Sticks tripods for the first time this year instead of bi-pods and liked them much better (used as a walking stick as well although your not supposed too).

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back