Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gear question

quackaddict

So my 2 elk hunts have been first season archery hunts here in southern NM. I'm trying to get my crap together to start heading to Colorado for the late rifle hunts on a regular basis. Pretty much all of my gear is for warm weather hunts...what gear do I need to make sure I have for those late hunts, and what kind of clothing reccomendations do y'all have? Thanks guys.

Merino wool long underwear, gaiters, ski goggles, milk crate full of chains and accessories. Take a large butchers saw, a whole frozen elk is hard to fit into anything.

Quack. What units did u hunt in nm? I headed to 10 next month and was curious what your gear was for your two early hunts.

I hunted 16a.

I kept rain gear in my pack and hunt in some Solomon hiking boots, either Microtex Lite or some Academy brand fishing/hiking pants, and either UA heat gear or lightweight merino shirts. And a 40* Walmart bag that I slept mostly out of.

I am a polypro guy (like merino too, but got a lot of polypro from Uncle Sam). Good insulated boots as well. What kind of camp are you going to have? What elevation are you going to be at?

How late season? Dress in layers, I always have emergency stuff with me and in the truck...fire, water, small tarp for shelter. Weather changes frequently be prepared. I carry a full set of TRUCK chains, come along, shovel and Hi boy jack. I hunt 4th rifle season, I have experienced sunshine and T-shirt weather to full blown winter storms. PM me if you have other questions.

I don't know what the Colorado late hunts are like, but my wardrobe for MT (which has a 5 week season spanning the end of October and all of November) looks like this:

2 types of boots:

Lightweight, uninsulated, low-top hikers (for warm days)
Insulated, high top boots (for cold/snow)

3 pairs of pants:

Sitka 90%
Cabelas Microtex
Wool

5 Jackets:

Sitka 90% Jacket
Sitka Jetstream Jacket
Sitka Kelvin Jacket
Rain jacket
Patagonia windproof shell

Plus a layer of UA long johns.

Throw in a variety of hats/gloves, plus a Buff (just trust me, they are great for pulling up around your face to cut the cold) and that's about it.

Obviously, I don't carry all of them at once, but pick my clothing each day for the expected weather.

What kind of camp are you going to have? What elevation are you going to be at?
I've got a 10x10 Kodiak Flexbow. I'm thinking real hard about putting a stove jack in it. I've seen a few threads across the WWW about putting jacks in Springbars and Kodiaks and it seems to work out just fine. As to the elevation, no clue. I guess that would depend on what unit I decide to hunt.

How late season? Dress in layers, I always have emergency stuff with me and in the truck...fire, water, small tarp for shelter. Weather changes frequently be prepared. I carry a full set of TRUCK chains, come along, shovel and Hi boy jack. I hunt 4th rifle season, I have experienced sunshine and T-shirt weather to full blown winter storms. PM me if you have other questions.

I would assume either the 2nd or 3rd rifle hunts in Colorado...mid October - early November? I'll probably shoot you a PM sometime soon. Like I said, I'm still new to elk hunting in general(and all Western hunting at that), so I'm just trying to get a game plan together to hopefully start an annual pilgrimage north beginning next year.

Thanks for all the input guys...this is exactly the kind of stuff I am trying to find out. Keep it coming.

If I were going to invest in cold weather gear, I would start with some good base layers. Remember "cotton kills", and if you do find yourself in a bad way, some good base layers could keep you alive. I like merino. You can spend a ton on good clothing. By looking for clearance stuff, campfire, etc I have cobbled together set of hunting clothes that probably spans all of good brands out there (Cabela's, Sitka, Russell, Firstlite). I am not going to win any fashion contests, but it works pretty well.

Check out Steapandcheap.com for camping gear, you can get some good quality stuff on there for cheap.

I've got good base layers...I've got a set of Core4 merino and an UA cold gear set. Need to get some decent cold weather pants/jackets. And I've been needing a pair of gaiters for awhile too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back