Gear List for 14 day sheep hunt

T Bone

Just getting ready for my 14 day Idaho Sheep Hunt. We plan on horse packing in to base camp (12 miles), then backpacking on 3-7 day stints out of base camp 1 to 10 miles. If any of you see anything I'm missing or could do without let me know.

Hardware

Tent (2 man Eureka nightscape)
Sleep Bag (3.5 lbs, 15 degrees)
Pack (external frame)
Knife
Water pot (aluminum)
Stove
Xtra Fuel
2 lighters
headlamp, xtra battery
Knife sharpener
Rifle (Ruger 270 s,s, Weaver 3x10 grand slam)
Ammo (5 in rifle, 10 xtra. handloads, 130 grn Hornady SST)
Spare pack pins, rings
Water filter
plastic spoon
2 32 oz canteens

Clothing

Pants (1 lightweight wool)
1 set long undies (lightweight poly)
Gloves (lighweigt poly)
vest, fleece
longsleeve t shirt cotton
Goretex shell
Hat (Boonie style)
stocking hat
socks (4 pair smartwool)

Food

28 Clif Bars (1 breakfast, 1 lunch per day)
14 2 serving dinners (mountain house)
7 desserts (mountain house)
dried fruit

Toiletries

Sunscreen
liquid soap (body and clothes)
Baby wipes
1st aid kit
Tooth brush and powder
Chap stick

Misc

2 meat sacks (light cotton)
map
compass
aluminum foil (grouse)
Trecking pole (hiking stick, bino mounted)
bino adapter (to put on trecking pole)
binos (16x60's pentax (me), 10x40 B&L (my dad)
paperback book
parachute cord 50 ft
Camera and film
notepad, pencil

Optional

.22 pistol (for my dad)
.22 ammo (20 powderless grouse loads, 10 hot loads)
satellite phone
2 way radios
GPS
laser rangefinder
Sun glasses

Any thoughts?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-05-2003 17:43: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

List doesnt look to bad, a few changes I would make are:

In-step crampons- not just for snow, they work great on wet steep grassy slopes and any other slippery situations. Light and cheap.

As for food, I'd bring extra besides Mtn House. Something to bring up the mtn with you for Lunch that doesnt require a stove to heat up. MRE's are great for this (can be kinda heavy though). Field strip the meals before you go and save some weight. Cliff bars are good but I know I can get real hungery after about the 3rd day.

I try to bring along a set of cards also. Kinda breaks up the time.

I'd ditch the 2 ways and range finder (thats just me of course). If its far enough where you gotta range it, IMO, get closer. The 270 is a pretty flat shooter. I'm not a fan of 2 ways. Usually my partner and I are pretty close together and havent needed them before. I always try and save weight on anything that isnt neccisary.

Oh and I would ditch the sat phone and either invest/rent a mini-B EPRB. Saves weight and no matter what when you pop the EPRB, the signal will get through if your in trouble. I dont go hunting to talk on the phone.

Good luck

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-05-2003 20:48: Message edited by: lilbiggun ]</font>

Thanks lilbigun

I likely will not take the 2 way radios, rangefinder, gps, or sat phone.

I am trying to persuade my dad into carrying the .22 pistol. A grouse or two would be a welmome break from freeze dried. He doesn't want to carry it around.

I keep getting this hair brained idea in my head to carry my bow and my rifle both.....

What is a mini B EPRB?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-05-2003 21:43: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

The Mini-B is a brand of personal locator beacon. Basically, you push the button and Search and rescue is notified within an hour that somebody is in bad shape at X coordinates(emergency use only). Its about the size of a small motorola radio and costs about $300. Shelf life is about 6 years (going off memory, I may be wrong) before you need to send it in for a new battery (coast guard recommended). If remote hunting is something you do alot I'd get one. If its a once in a while thing I'm sure there is a place to rent one. Its one of those things that is good to have and hope you never have to use. One of these days I'm gonna pick one up instead of taking my chances. Ive rented them and its good to know that if things go bad, all I gotta do is push a button and wait.

The 22 is a good idea. I usually bring mtn house on hunts with me and sometimes fresh meat is a good meal instead of freeze dried.

I'd pick either the bow or rifle. The name of the game for sheep hunting is weight. Bringing both would be wasted weight. For a first hunt I would bring the rifle in the mountains. learn and on the next trip try the bow.

T-bone,

You don't have batteries on your list, and depending on your final electronic selection, hopefully everything uses the same battery, so you can swap, if needed. If each device is unique, find new devices.

GPS? I have an Etrex that fits around my neck, and I would not even consider going without it. The weight is negligble, and the utility is incredible.

NOt sure exactly which drainages you will be in, but I might consider a small fishing rod, or at least some line and dry flies. The fish up there are incredibly easy to catch, and if you need an activity to keep dad interested for 14 days, it might be the ticket. And depending on the Regs, the lakes and streams if they are open will be far better food sources than your .22 and grouse. Just a thought.

Food: did you have Jerkey on your list? For 14 days, the concentrated protein will be needed.

Clothes: Skip the cotton long sleeve T, and get another Poly long sleeve. The cotton is worthless, and the poly can be added to the first poly layer. Or just use it at night to sleep in, and rinse your day shirt, and it will dry by morning.

And since you are using horses to get in, you might consider hauling everything in a dry bag (River type), so that you can pack your "stuff" away each day, and not worry about the weather changing while you are miles from Camp.

And a couple of Garbage Bags (2 max.). Just way too handy not to have.

T BONE,

How about trying some of those new 140-grain Nosler Accubonds in your 270? I've been reading all this rave about these new bullets but I haven't read anything about anybody using them on game yet.
footinmouth.gif
Just a quick idea.

I'm hoping to draw a goat permit myself this year. Been working out quite a bit, especially my legs.

Good luck on the hunt! Hope you get a big one.

T Bone,

Don't forget the sheep tag! I'ld do a little more variety of food like jerky, smoked cheese, couscous, ect. 14 days of freeze dried would do me in.

Paul

I am throwing my 2 cents in is the GPS and a couple others. I won't go any where with out a GPS. These things are just to handy to leave behind. If you are geting into camp in the dark, if you need to pack in the dark. If a accident happens and you need to call out for help, this is your pin point, How old is DAD?
The Etrex Legend after rebates is about 140.00 This one takes maps.
The Sun glasses can keep you from having head aches from the sun light.
Immodium AD for the squirts.
Ron

Lilbiggun - I'll look into the mini B. See if I can find a rental. I will carry the rifle only. The bow thing keeps springing up in my head.

ElkGunner - You're right. I have the etrex too. For its weight it provides a lot of utility. (trying to find your tent in the dark). I think I'd opt for my Dad to carry the .22 over the fish rod because its multi-use. Foodgetter, defense against reintroduced carnivores, hammer? Fishing rod is less effective on carnivorous mammals. Note taken on the cotton T.

Bear stalker- I too have heard great things about the Accubonds. Although a big ram will push 300 pounds, I'm a hornady fan and I use what I'm comfortable with. I'm sure the 130 grain sst will tip one over.

Paul C- Oh yeah, license and tag! Jerky is added to the list. What year did you draw 27-L? Before or after the fires?

Idaho Ron - GPS is in. Dad is 60, and in good health but the thought still comes across that he could have a cardiac back there.....Thats my main reason for looking into a sat phone or the mini B deal that Lilbiggun mentioned. I have some pepto pills in the first aid kit for the hershey squirts.

T Bone

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-06-2003 08:33: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Thanks 1 pointer. The kifaru information is good, but I have reservations banging away in sheep country with my rifle for grouse. Its the noise factor.

With the 22 I use powderless loads by Aguila for grouse. it pushes a 25 grain bullet @ 450 fps. It sounds like an air gun. And dumps grouse and cottontails well.

T

Take a slingshot.
biggrin.gif
Just thought you might be interested. Good luck and keep us posted as you work through the details of getting ready for the hunt. I hope to live the same dream someday.

Ron,

Not sure which model #, but its the little yellow one thats fairly basic but does everything I want it to do.

Lilbiggun.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

Tyson

T-bone the couple things I'd recommend, that I wished I had when I hunted dall sheep in Alaksa is a pair of cheap flip-flops, sandals whatever you want to call them. We crossed water a couple times and damn it those fast creeks all have sharp rocks in them. It would have been great to have had them for that and for when you have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak. You may not have to cross much water or have some tough feet...either way just a suggestion.

The other thing I'd make sure you do is trim your toenails real close before you head out. I didnt and I'd never had trouble before hunting goats, etc. but because of the steep country and packing a whole lot of weight, (damn Chugach rams are big), I lost both big toenails from the constant pounding going down hill.

Take care of your feet, it can make or break a hunt, or at least cause some unnecessary misery.

One last thing: good luck and I hope you tip over the ram of your dreams.

T-BONE, You should look into the Etrex legend. You can load maps in it. They are based after the USGS maps. The one called TOPO has 3 CD's that cover all the USA, Hawaii, and Alaska. The legend will hold 8 meg of maps which will MORE than cover your hunting area a LOT more.
The size is the same and weight is the same as yours. Yes you can get by with out a upgrade to a legend. I have the Camo one also. I got by ok with it. Now that I have the Legend with maps I won't go anywhere with out it. At one time the legend was on sale at Amazon.com for I think 190.00 Garmin had a 50 dollar rebate so the end price was something like 140.00 That is with a computer cable and a LOT more goodies built in.
Ron

I thought you were taking horses??? Your list looks like you are backpacking the whole way... I went on a 8 day sheep hunt a few years ago with a back pack and took as much as you guys are taking... I would take some good grub, you will no doubt get sick of the same old freeze dried stuff.

We pack our horses with about 120-150 lbs of junk on our elk hunts, two of them will easily pack enough food and supplies to last 4 guys a week to ten days, with good food, steaks/potatoes/canned goods and what not... I'd add some instant oatmeal, ramen noodels, at least one 8'x10' poly tarp(stash your stuff at base camp or keep it out of the rain anyway), hot chocho, a little (or big) bottle of snake bite of some sort, some more coord for a make shift shelter/trophy packing/ or what ever, a hatchet, ax or a saw (wyoming saws are awsome for cutting wood). A light weight sleeping pad is very nice to have, especialy after about two nights on the hard ground. How about a little ziplok with spices pre mixed for a grouse??? I mix what ever spices I want along with a 1/4 stick of butter in a bag, its just enough for one bird.

I think I would add a heavy coat you never know... I've slept with all the cloths that I brought with me before and that was the end of august in the mountains...

Sound like it will be a fun hunt.
Good luck, hope you get a nice one
Ivan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back