MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gear List for 14 day sheep hunt

Moosie:
T-Bone is using horses and he's packing like it's a backpack trip.

T-Bone:
No offense intended, we've never met. But I hope you're overweight now because you'll need to feed off your camels hump if you stick to that menu. Specially since you will be experiencing major caloric output for all the high country hiking.

I hope the grouse you are talking about are actually ptarmigan. I like them better than fish. If the ptarmigan are abundant they are easier to catch than fish.

KC

KC,

No offense taken. Is that what they call them in CS? Over here we call them man-boobs or teets. I did lose 14 pounds on my second hunt, I was very weight concious that trip as I was solo. I was in (what I consider) good shape prior to going.

Horses? I know of no horse or mule that could get in those breaks where they sheep are. Granted, they could get you to mile marker 14 but thats about it.

The grouse are the big blues and spruce. Most are not too smart.

KC It takes alot to Offend T-bone and More to offend me
But Tyson Ain't Using no Horses..... He used Lamas the First Outing but Solo the 2nd one. This Unit is THE hardest, Nastiest Deadliest Country in Idaho, Ask Anyone. You're not getting horses in and If you do you can Shoot it cuz It's not coming out. I haven't hiked this Country yet so I'm going off of what I've seen on pictures and have heard people talking. The Arfea We're going is DUMB MANS land

I plan to not loose TOO much weight Prior to this Hunt and Live off my MAN BOOBS :D :D

Moosie & T-Bone:

I have a pretty thick skin too. It's covering a pot belly, worth several days in a survival situation.

T-Bone:

So take along some better food and leave it at base camp with the horses. Yeah pack light on your backpack sortees. But each time you return to base camp, refuel on some better food. I too have spent a couple of weeks eating nothing but freeze-dried and dehydrated food. At the end, just the thought of instant oatmeal, freeze-dried or Cup-O-Noodles could make me wretch. You might be surprised how wonderful a simple tortilla tastes after a few days of freeze-dried.

Blue grouse and spruce grouse huh. I have had ptarmigan, which are the best tasting birds that I have eaten. They are stupid as rocks. In fact I once killed one with a rock. Another one I ran over with my truck, in the middle of the highway. I was hoping that it would move out of the way but it just stood there. They both tasted great. I have also had sage grouse, which are very gamey tasting. I have seen blue grouse. They are very noisey and often surprise the chit out of me. How do blues and spruce grouse taste?

KC
:D

95% of my gear is in my pack ready to go. I just need to remember to bring pants. I just picked up a pair of Cabelas Microtex pants. I think I'll like them. Polyester is groovy.

Are you taking your stove and water pot? I just assumed we'd use yours for both of us. Is your water pot big enough to hold water for both of us to have freeze dried?

T bone A few things that I always pack are - a 9x12 nylon tarp made by Outdoor Products. In good weather you can pack light and still be protected if the weather turns poor. In wet weather it is nice to get under when you get out of the tent, cook, store gear etc. A small lantern and stove that use the same fuel canisters works well. The lantern does not way much but is 100 times better than a flash light when hung under your tarp, makes camp life alot more enjoyable. The advice about extra shoes is right on - light weight running or hikers can save the trip if your heavy duty boots are hurting your feet and they can double as camp shoes. Take advantage of the horses and pack some good food, gator aid , mabe a roll up sled to help get the load out if you score after the horses leave. Good luck TK

fry pan- check
fishing pole and tackle box- check
10" fry pan- check
cooking oil- check
coleman lantern- check
jar of peanut butter- got it
man teats- check,check

almost ready for a lightweight backpacking adventure!

T-bone...I can't believe you want to use Moosie's pot. Don't you know where that thing has been?

Oak

In truth, that was my water pot he was parading around the elk woods with. It's still in the garage. I need to donate it to the website.

T-bone.. we could have a HutnTalk.com Auction ;)

I'm still working on my list..... I forgot if you wanted 1 or 2 Dutch oven pans for this 18 Mile hike in ? I do have the 2 gallons of cooking oil though. I was thinking about deep frying a sage hen of something ?!?!

Jsut for an FYI to everyone... NO Horses, Lamas or Goats will be used on this trip.. It's a Truely 2 man Solo Hunting Machine team !!!!

My list is coming together... here is what I have thus far. I'll have it finished Friday and all the weights figured out. I jsut bought the food last night and haven't weighed it but cans of Pork and Beans for 8 days should be light ;) .

I am not packing in Salt. But I'm sure I'm taking more then I need or forgetting something. Let me know. (Like you basterds ever hold back ;) :

Rem Model 700 7 Lbs 8 oz.
Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 0 Lbs 14 oz.
Bullets ?? Gr. Lbs oz.
Swarovski Binos w/ case 1 Lbs 11 oz.
Scope Covers (Bikini) 0 Lbs 1 oz.
Baush&Laum 15x40 Lbs oz.
Bushnell Compact 600 Lbs oz.
Tags
Backpack 5 Lbs 3 oz.
Zoid 2 4 Lbs 10 oz.
Tarp Lbs oz.
REI 700 Down -5 deg./Sinch Sack 3 Lbs 8 oz.
Bivy Sack 1 Lbs 4 oz.
Therm-a-rest Ultra-light 1 Lbs 13 oz.
Polypro cord 0 Lbs 14 oz.
Coghlan's Tool 0 Lbs 5 oz.
Petzl Tikka LED 0 Lbs 5 oz.
3 Liter H20 (100 oz.) 0 Lbs 4 oz.
Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash 0 Lbs 6 oz.
Head/Shoulder 0 Lbs 3 oz.
Wet Wipes 0 Lbs 6 oz.
Terry Cloth 0 Lbs 7 oz.
Vicks Sinex, P-Jelly, Anbesol, Visine, & Q-tips, Advil (10), Cough drops(25)
Deoderant (Right Guard) 0 Lbs 9 oz.
MSR Pocket Rocket 0 Lbs 4 oz.
MSR Pocket Rocket Isopo Fuel 0 Lbs 7 oz.
Nalgene 48 oz. 0 Lbs 6 oz.
Nalgene 32 oz. 0 Lbs 4 oz.
Titanium 1 liter (holds 4 cups) 0 Lbs 5 oz.
Outdoor MUGS (x2) 0 Lbs 7 oz.
Lexan Tekk 0 Lbs 2 oz.
Water Pills 0 Lbs 1 oz.
Cutco 0 Lbs 6 oz.
Boker Ceramic 0 Lbs 2 oz.
Danielson 0 Lbs 7 oz.
Disposable Razor Blades (10) 0 Lbs 3 oz.
Tape Measure 0 Lbs 1 oz.
Game bags Lbs oz.
100% PolyPro (x2) 0 Lbs 13 oz.
Chamois Advantage 1 Lbs 4 oz.
Columbia Wool 1 Lbs 6 oz.
Hodgeman 2 Lbs 15 oz.
Woolrich 0 Lbs 15 oz.
PolarMax thermalwear (x2) 1 Lbs 6 oz.
Codet Canada 1 Lbs 9 oz.
White Water Outdoor (Advantage) 1 Lbs 4 oz.
Belt Lbs oz.
Montrail 3 Lbs 4 oz.
Outer Socks (x3) 0 Lbs 14 oz.
Inner Socks (x3) 0 Lbs 10 oz.
Neck Gaiter / reversable 0 Lbs 3 oz.
Hunttalk.com Cap 0 Lbs 3 oz.
Hunttalk.com Cap 0 Lbs 2 oz.
Rim Hat 0 Lbs 4 oz.
Gloves 0 Lbs 7 oz.
GPS (Tyson has.. N/A) 0 Lbs 0 oz.
Compass 0 Lbs 2 oz.
1st Aid Kit (Tyson) just 21 bandaids Lbs oz.
Flagging Tape 0 Lbs 1 oz.
Matches/Lighters (x2) 0 Lbs 8 oz.
Carmex 0 Lbs 1 oz.
Camp Soap 0 Lbs 5 oz.
Map Lbs oz.
Trash Bags 0 Lbs 7 oz.
Field Notebook / Pencil 0 Lbs 5 oz.
2 way Radio's Lbs oz.
Sea Line SEE10 620 Cu in. 0 Lbs 10 oz.
Iridium 1 Lbs 5 oz.
camcorder Lbs oz.
camcorder batteries Lbs oz.
Batteries ( Heaplamp __AAA,
Rangefinders __AA GPS, __AA Lbs oz.
10 Breakfast bars Lbs oz.
9 days of lunch (Lunches include beef
jerkey, fruit rollup, 2 hard candies, trail
mix, snickers and ? Lbs oz.
8 nights dehydrated dinners Lbs oz.
4 deserts Lbs oz.
Gum Lbs oz.
33 Lbs 349 oz.

OR 54.8 Lbs

Boots 3 Lbs 4 oz.
Backpack 5 3
cloths wearing in 2 Lbs 0 oz.

OR 10.4 Lbs

T-Bone and Moosie, Has anyone mentioned Eye-drops and some sinus medicine? What about extra shoe laces, they can be used in a lot of extra ways. John

Draftstud, You are a Man after my own heart ;)

I will actually be bringing Eye drops for the eyes, Vicks Sinex for breathing, Anbesol for cold soars or tooth aches, & Q-tips, Advil (10), Cough drops(25). Nothing like having an Ache and Being 16 miles from no-where ;)

I have Visine on the list above about 1/2 way down :

Vicks Sinex, P-Jelly, Anbesol, Visine, & Q-tips, Advil (10), Cough drops(25)
Deoderant (Right Guard) 0 Lbs 9 oz.
I didn't think of shoe laces but I'll have Polly cord to tie things and Hopefully with Brand new Laces in my shoes they won't break.

Moosie,
This is going to sound stupid but I learned this packing around in the military and on various hunts. Bring a tin of Tucks medicated pads. They come in a small round metal container. They are just right for keeping yourself clean and itch free. Better then wet wipes.

I know it sounds stupid but once you have used them you'll understand. The only other thing missing is a flask of snake bite medicine for a celebrating a trophy sheep.

Nemont

Nemont, I was going to mention that also.....but I thought Moosie would think I was coming on to him ;) The reason I thought of the sinus medicine is my allergies are kicking my butt today. I once had an allergy test, I was allergic to everything in this state! Butt, that was a very good suggestion of yours!

Nemont.. I dont know of the Item you're taling about.. Plus, I'm guessing in 8 days hunting I'll crap only 2 times.

Also, Tbone doesn't drink and I'm not a Big enuf fan of the Goo GOO juice to pack it in the hills. I will celebrate when we get out with a Nice big fat Chocolate Shake... Mmmmmm Choc. Shakes
drool.gif
MAtter of fact.. I need to get one now

I also HAve allergies and my eyes are swollen every morning. I also like to breat so the Vicks is worth it's weight in gold if I need it. Eye drops are awsome thats why it's on my list, and I've had canker soars in the Past and Oregell is awsome . Other then that Little things like Broken bones or head traumas are the only thing that will cause me any grief

Remeber its much easier to wear your dirty clothes out than pack them out, so you could cut back on the socks, and extra long underwear. how about bug dope? The mosquitoes can be hell in the crags in the summertime.

I'm bringing 1 extra underwear set. I'm also guessing they won't be coming out with me ;)

Bug dope ? HUmmmmm....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back