Gear advice from experienced elk hunters

An item I never hunt without anymore is an inReach unit. It's good for the family and friends back home to be able to hear from you real time, and not a prefabbed message like a SPOT has. The 2 way texting is awesome and runs off of satellite, so you don't need cell service to use it. The SOS function is good too because you talk back and forth to the search and rescue team. You can also get the weather updates for your exact location, not just the closest town with cell coverage.

Boots - only thing besides optics that you should buy the best you can afford. Break them in while you're getting in shape.

Bad feet and bad fitness are the fastest ways to derail your hunt.

I prefer a GPS with push buttons rather than touch screen. I usually don't want to take my gloves off when I'm hunting elk. Plus, the touch screens use more battery than the push button types. I own a Garmin 64S and feed it onXmap chips. The best socks I have found are Redhead Extreme Cold wool midcalf socks from Bass Pro. Not that I hunt in extreme cold, but the extra pile makes my boots very comfortable and I can't wear them out. I have many pairs over 10 years old and have never had a single blister. No need for liners. I use a Rocky Mountain Select A Bull call. I can't find a diaphragm that will fit my palate so I need a red type call. It comes with a bite type reed, but I have removed the bite part and it works really well. I have called in many bulls while hunting during the rut. The call I use most often is a Hunters Specialties Lonesome Cow call. Great for calling in close or on quiet days and can reach out when needed.

Boots - only thing besides optics that you should buy the best you can afford. Break them in while you're getting in shape.

Bad feet and bad fitness are the fastest ways to derail your hunt.

I agree with this. Something else that nobody has mentioned, is to condition yourself mentally to keep going, no matter what happens. They may be just over the next ridge, or the next, or the next.... It is amazing how much a positive attitude will overcome, when it comes to hunting.

Also, since you are not doing a back-country excursion, the fancy clothing is not that necessary. I have killed a lot of elk over the years wearing blue jeans, long underwear and layers of top clothing. Good socks are a good idea, also.

Quality optics-bino and scope-are important also, as you do not want either to quit you during a tough hunt.

There have been some great tips here and I am sure that you will get a lot more. A lot of stuff is just not that important, though, if you are not doing an extended stay in the back country.

Do you have a good pack? One sufficient for packing an elk out should you get one? I'd spend money on that before the other things. I'd suggest looking at packs from Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, and Seeksoutside.

If possible, hunt your first time with someone who has hunted elk a few seasons. it will flatten out the learning curve from gear to hunting style. You should have seen the size of the packs me and a buddy packed in our first time.... from then on unless it was safety related, if you didn't use it the year before, really consider if you need it the next. I don't use a GPS anymore, phones have come so far that they do 90% of what a GPS can, and 150% more than a GPS (phone calls, camera, text, alarm clock, weight savings) and some are now good in the rain, besides, you are going to carry it anyway. Good clothing is important, but not as much as your sleep system. You can hunt Elk without camo. One of Randy's cameraman looks like a smurf half the time, it doesn't effect his hunt.

Anymore I have reduced my pack weight by not carrying unnecessary items from when I first started out. A good knife, whetstone, a small gerber axe, and headlamp with extra batteries always go with me. I always pack water, food, fire kit, topo map/compass, and extra clothes, unless its a quick short hunt.

Im no expert by any means. I try to get out hunting and backpacking as much as i can. The #1 and #2 on my list is

1. Be in shape...

2. Quality boot and they MUST be broken in before you come out to hit the mountains.

The best gear in the world wont do you any good if your feet are hamburger after the first day or your so exhausted you cant go.. or worse your body breaks down in the backcountry.

I use topo maps on my iphone works great and you can still use the maps when on airplane mode to save batteries. Also bring a way to charge your phone.. and i still bring compass as back up..

Last edited:
Watch some elk videos, not hunting, just elk vocalizations. Get a cow call and learn to mimic their sounds. I use a power bugle for when and if I need to bugle. Realistic calls are the key. Elk know a person bugling if you don't sound just right. Layers are the key to staying warm. Start with merino wool next to skin. Like stated above good glass is a must. And make sure your boots are broken in before the hunt.

Lots of great gear advice.
I think one of the most valuable hunting tools, is fortunately one of the cheapest. That is, a wind checker with unscented talcum powder. Those mountain air currents are pretty fickle.
As for calling, I do try and call, but often don't let out a full fledged bugle. I just give a little squeaker and chuckle. Most of the Bulls I hear, aren't bellowing very loud. They seem to be more subtle, so I try and do the same.

If I'm rifle hunting I rarely ever take a call. Are you bowhunting? If so, I never take a spotting scope when I'm bowhunting elk.

Good quality wool socks, I wear Darn Tough after using Smarwool for years.

Good quality boots, as said earlier make sure they fit and they are broken in.

Get in shape.

Get a good pack and some trekking poles.

Steve Rinella has a good article on hunting on a budget.

An item I never hunt without anymore is an inReach unit. It's good for the family and friends back home to be able to hear from you real time, and not a prefabbed message like a SPOT has. The 2 way texting is awesome and runs off of satellite, so you don't need cell service to use it. The SOS function is good too because you talk back and forth to the search and rescue team. You can also get the weather updates for your exact location, not just the closest town with cell coverage.

Echo that. This unit helped me this season when I was successful on the last evening of the last day of my hunt. I was able to text my friends, who then came in that night and helped me hike out the meat. It also has an app that links to your iphone, which I find really helpful. I toggle between onxmaps and the imagery from the inReach to get more images/layers.

I have not yet purchased the pack. I've been constantly checking different forums and eBay to try and find a deal on something used. I've found a couple of good deals that way on other items. I picked up some kenetrec boots and some Sitka gear at a great price. Trying to get it all pieced together.

Like others have already said, good boots, a good pack, good sleep system (tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad) all make a difference.
For boots, one of the first things I do is get rid of the insole and replace it with a Superfeet insole. They make a very small difference in support, but over the course of several days hiking with a pack, it adds up to a huge difference.
Get rid of the traditional knife, sharpener and go with a Havalon. Much lighter, less work and incredibly sharp blades. Yes, they break, but not really that often; and you carry several replacements anyway. You still have your multitool for more robust work.
Just started using trekking poles a few years ago, and I won't go without now.
Lastly, I cannot stress enough how much of a role physical conditioning will play a part in either your success or lack of. Absolutely nothing you can buy will make as much of a difference.

This is all great advice guys. I will be adding s lot of these things to the purchase list. Just good to hear it from hunters that spend time in the mountains.
Thanks again..... much appreciated

Not gear, but if you could swing even a long weekend trip to scout, the area more than specifically looking for critters, it will go a long ways to answer some of your logistics questions. Any time of year will be fine, something to get a feel for how you do at altitude, how long it takes you to get certain distances, backup areas if plans A and B don't work, practice at glassing, a good long road trip to practice calling. That, plus good boots and many miles back home hauling a 45 lb plate around on your meat pack.

Back