Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gear advice from experienced elk hunters

nwihunter

I've been lurking on this site for a while trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can about elk hunting. My short story is I'm a life long Midwest deer hunter trying to get moving on my first western elk hunt. I know familiar story right. What I'm looking for now is advice on some of the gear that I need to purchase for this hunt. I've already been making some purchases of used and new gear as I find good deals. I'm have been looking at the garmin Etrex 30x. I know I can spend less and a heck of a lot more on different unit. Just wondering if this would have enough features necessary without buying a bunch of features that I might not need. Second I was wondering what brand of calls any of you might recommend. I would like to start practicing. And last is there specific kind or brand of socks that have worked well for any of you... Any other gear advice that anyone might want to throw my way is much appreciated

1. I prefer the Garmin 600 or bigger. I recommend a touchscreen. Also pick up OnXMaps chip for your state.
2. Get a call you have to blow: diaphragm or reed.
3. Get the best binos you can afford. 10x42 or bigger.
4. Spotting Scope, with angled viewer.
5. Go with merino wool socks. no brand preference.

Map and compass, and know how to use them
merino base layers all around
Light packable rain gear for those afternoon thunderstorms (doesn't need to be camo)
Best binos you can afford (10x-12x)
tripod and adapter for binos (I prefer over a spotter)
Trekking poles
Liner socks with merino outers

Thanks guys. I did get nice pair of vortex 10x42 binoculars but didn't even think of a tripod for them. Not much use for one where I'm from. Was there a specific brand of call that any of you prefer?

I think calling is overrated and can be used as a crutch for a lot of people. Eat the call and try spot and stalk.

What type of hunt are you interested in doing?

If a pack-in hunt, I like my jetboil and mountainhouse meals.

I also like to have a water purifier along so I can keep getting water while I'm out (assuming I'm in an area where there are lots of water sources). I have the Katadyn Vario and like it, but I could see where somebody might have something smaller that would be better.

Definitely map and compass in addition to the GPS. I don't like relying on electronics, and an actual map I feel is better for getting a bigger picture. Would recommend the chip for the GPS if you are in an area where private land can be an issue.

I would recommend not going cheap on things. Try to get things that are light-weight as much as possible. Better now than buying a bunch of stuff and having to upgrade later so you can actually carry it. For me, I found the biggest thing I was able to cut weight with was clothes (for doing a pack-in hunt). Part of that is just bringing only the clothes you need and not bringing too many extras.

I'm not a good elk hunter, but I have a Primos Cow Girl call that I like. Seems to be easy to make good sounds with. My bugle is a Primos Terminator and I like it.
A good pack? I have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab which I really like. It is great for a day pack, but it doesn't carry loads real great for extended trips (the awkward load) though it works. I haven't packed an animal out with it, but I imagine it would excel at that. Seems great with heavy loads close to your body. I also have a Mystery Ranch Kodiak. It is good for extended trips, but pretty bulky for a day pack. Looking to possibly get my dad a new pack, and will probably go with the Kifaru EMR II since it gets great reviews and supposedly good as both a day pack and extended trip pack. Perhaps somebody with experience with this pack can chime in whether or not they like it?

If tenting it, I would get a good light tent. I have a two person MSR hubba hubba. It pretty tight for two people but works. It would be great for one person and gear.
As for sleeping pad, I like my Exped Synmat UL 7. I've had Therm-a-rests and they were junk. I swear one was going flat the first time I used it.

There are people that are more qualified to give answers to you here, but that's my experience from the trips I've done.

Get a hunting license..I find this to be a good thing to have out there ;)

I seldom call when hunting deer in my home state so I wouldn't over do it. I usually save it for when I see an animal that has no intention at coming my way and I cant get to.

Also something I think is always overlooked or under-done, be in shape. No amount of gear will make the difference if the hunter can't get to the elk, can't do multiple days, or can't pack them out. Happened to me 7 years ago with a good bull tag and I vowed that my fitness would never be what stopped me from getting an elk again.
Go get em! Elk hunting is incredible and they are delicious.

A lot of good advice already. One thing I recommend when it comes to clothes look at different options of mountaineering equipment. I picked up a pair of prana Zion pants in mud color for about 25% of what you will pay for the large name brands and in my opinion they are better made as I compare them to the high end hunting clothes I own. As for your question on socks I will say hands down the darn tough are the best sock I have ever used, they are made in the USA and have a lifetime guarantee to boot.

I grew up just east, about thirty minutes of Valpo and now live in Iowa, I grew up hunting the Midwest like you. on my first elk I hunt I wasn't physically or mentally ready for the difference from the Midwest. Since then I have focused on cardio, weight loss, and long weighted hikes to help the physical aspect. For the mental aspect be mentally prepared to grind it out to the end, the sleep, nutrition, and game densities compared to the Midwest hunting can really get to you if you aren't prepared. There are some good podcasts on top of Randy's out there that address a lot of this like meat eater and the hunt backcountry podcast. I would recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
Good boots that fit properly make a huge difference. There's multiple threads on here discussing different brands, just do a search.

I love my Praha stretch Zion. I would second a larger Gps with a touch screen. There is no doubt that a gps with the onxmaps will be one of your top gear choices.

Steripen. Makes water filtration really easy (assuming you will be near water). A good pack. After years of suffering through a cheapie - I am shocked I never realized how much of a difference a solid pack would make. Everything else folks said is valid in my experiences.

Thanks guys, all good stuff. I plan on hunting in Colorado in which I have never even stepped foot in. My plan is to hunt archery solo. I will be taking my truck in as far as I can safely get and set up camp there. From there I will be hiking in daily as far as I realistically can. I haven't nailed down an exact area yet but am studying maps and statistics. I have some maps ordered and want to focus on an area as soon as I can. I totally understand the importance of you get what you pay for when it comes to gear. The stuff I'm able to get away with using chasing Midwest whitetails won't cut it on this trip. I'm in good physical shape and will ramp up my cardio and workouts even more till the start of season. I have realistic expectations for my first trip, don't get lost, come home alive, and maybe if I bust my butt hard enough I will get to at least see my first elk. lookin forward to the trip and any mo

I've been lurking on this site for a while trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can about elk hunting. My short story is I'm a life long Midwest deer hunter trying to get moving on my first western elk hunt. I know familiar story right. What I'm looking for now is advice on some of the gear that I need to purchase for this hunt. I've already been making some purchases of used and new gear as I find good deals. I'm have been looking at the garmin Etrex 30x. I know I can spend less and a heck of a lot more on different unit. Just wondering if this would have enough features necessary without buying a bunch of features that I might not need. Second I was wondering what brand of calls any of you might recommend. I would like to start practicing. And last is there specific kind or brand of socks that have worked well for any of you... Any other gear advice that anyone might want to throw my way is much appreciated

We've done a long list of equipment videos. At the playlist below, you might find the "bag dump" videos the best starting points for a general question like you have. Even though the bag dump vids are barely a year old, we have already tweaked many of those items.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLdxutimd-JsuUgFA2RkemN7XihvyHu4G

Alot of people say calling is over rated but i disagree. I elk hunt like i turkey hunt back home. I keep moving trying to locate and set up and call or sneak in from there. I rarely just sit and don't call. I love rocky mountain calls from the guys at elk 101. I use a bully bull extreme tube with a few different diafram calls. Just practice up and get after em! Good luck buddy. Also i only archery elk hunt so rifle would be a different ball game.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back