Gasoline

cjcj

Subject: Gasoline information...

[FONT=Georgia, serif] TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... But here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon...

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... Your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62, 231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair.................0 barrels

B P/Phillips............0 barrels

Hess.......................0 barrels

ARCO....................0 barrels

If you go to
[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Sunoco.com[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], you will get a list of the station locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get t heir oil and how much they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Now, don't wimp out at this point.... Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it ..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would all that take?
[/FONT]

CjCj... Read this and weep.

democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a56/ -16k-

Actually, everyone on this site should too, because whatever California does, the rest of the country does too. Money grubbing bastages!!
I and many people on this site bought a newer, cleaner running diesel truck for the right reasons: Better fuel economy, less polutants and more power. Guess we're all wrong! Now we're about to get hosed -and pretty soon so will people in other states as soon as this catches on. Mr. Mendosa better hope I don't meet up with him someday.
In case this doesn't pull up:

The Details of AB 1488
-Currently existing (California) law exempts diesel-powered viehecles from smog-checking lightweight diesel vehicles.
-Starting January 1, 2010, Mendosa's new law will require diesel-powered vehicles to be smog checked every two years if they:
a) were manufactured after the 1997 model-year.
b) and weigh less than 8,501 pounds.
-The bill would authorize diesel-powered vehicle smog check testing to include on-board diagnostic testing.

Here's what's happening right now.

Attachments

• AMERICA.jpg
    AMERICA.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 196
The only alternative I can see is (gulp -can I say it?) going 'green' and start brewing biodiesel. I'm at the point where I've cleared out a pigsty of an outdoor laundry room, started building shelves and platforms... all I've got to do is start ordering hardware and got my fryer oil sources committed and lined up.
After doing hours and hours of research on biodiesel, I've found that there's a TON of BS out there, mostly screed by committed lefties trying "to save the earth". Most of it is dangerous propaganda and causes more pollution problems than it tries to solve. Not to mention destroying fuel injection systems. But -it CAN be done.

DD, Are you making your system with a wet wash or the Dry wash? I also am looking to setup a group (3) of friends to Run the traplines for the WVO and making the B-D. There is Soooo much BS out there like you said. When I purchase a system I want it to run out with as little Hands on as possible. John

I'm going to start car pooling (I can't beleive it). I have a buddy at work who only lives about 1 mile from me. We have a 12 mile, one-way, trip to work. His schedule is slightly different than mine, so I will end up having to stay about an extra 1/2 hour later than usual. I think its worth it, though, to cut my fuel bill in half.

I live 8.3 Miles from my House to the Parking Garage. A tank of Diesel lasts for almost 3 weeks. I just like the Idea of having a source of cheap fuel for long trips with the Horse Trailer in Tow. I have done the Car pool deal back in the 70s. It was'nt too bad...but I was making $440 a Month!!!!!!!!! John

I feel your pain guys. My neigbors used to laugh at me because I'd actually walk to the store or downtown to do business... pretty soon they will have to also.
Draftstud, I'm considering going with a 4 step process and an Appleseed (homebuilt/electric water heater) processor, all of which I can assemble in my laundryroom off to the side of my shack. At first, I also considered buying one of those turnkey systems that do everything but make you a sandwich, but I passed out from stickershock when I saw how much they cost -$3,500-10,000!!!
The transesterfication process is straightforward and if I pay attention to details, there is nothing to stop me from producing quality biodiesel. Testing MUST be done at each and every step to assure I don't corrode my Duramax's fuel injection system into a pile of useless junk. Saving a few $100 here and there isn't worth destroying a $41k truck.
As far as the fuel washing step is concerned, I'm looking at both spray water misting AND bubble washing -I'm not sure yet if both will be incorporated at the same time. I don't want to cause an emultion problem and make a batch of "glop". Regardless, I'll have tons of progressive filters and heaters in line for maximum processing control.
I'd say that if you want to spend the big money and buy a factory-made, turnkey system, go right ahead... but ONLY if it makes QUALITY fuel. The problem is: you won't know how good the system is until you attempt a batch. THAT'S the sticking point. I'm choosing to assemble my system piece by piece until everthing does exactly what I want it to do.
I love capitalisum, but HATE being a consumer... it forces me into the same boat as everyone else. Producing biodiesel may become my ticket to at least partial independence. Not that I'm "better or smarter" than anyone else; but if I've got the ability to obtain my goals, I might as well try instead of paying through the nose and complaining.

Good Plan, I have a 6400 Sf Shop, but I really want to buy another Semi Trailer (small) to put it away from my shop....just in case I goof Up! LOL My idea of forming a CO-Op of Friend will allow us to go for a more User Friendly and High Volume along with quality unit. My buddy is dreading Pecan season as he will easily use 180-200 gallons of Diesel a week. I kinda like the info this guy shows. http://cgi.ebay.com/Biodiesel-Proce...ryZ57114QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem John

Not a bad looking system, John. They seem to have a lot of the bugs worked out and it appears fairly foolproof. But -don't take my word on it, because I've never seen nor used this system. Regardless, it seems to fit your needs.
I guess I'm still pretty gun-shy of anything store-bought and all these bioguys oozing out of the woodwork asking for my money. Lota scams out there. Had a wife like that once -never again!! lol
If you use a semi trailer as your processing shop, be sure (this is important!) to pound a grounding rod into the ground and attach a grounding strap to the barrel of methanol you will be using to process your waste vegetable oil. The stuff's a thousand times more touchy than black powder and burns without a visable flame... what I'm getting at is the stuff LOVES to spark off. A grounding rod and strap may save you from 'gettin' blowed up real good.' Good ventilation is also a must.
Since I do plumbing, mechanical and electrical stuff all day at work, I may have more patience in assembling my own system and will elect to make my own reactor, wash tank, etc. All I've got to do now is commit to buying the hardware.

By the way CjCj, I apologise if I hijacked your thread. You gave me some excellent information -some of which I knew already- like filling up in the morning. And I KNEW there was a reason I like to use Arco and BP/Phillips 76... no importation of Mid Eastern oil.
I think the boycott idea is a sound one, but I've got to admit that unless millions of consumers make an effort to alter a few basic habits, any effect a boycott would have would be minimal. It's been a mission of most of our mayors, supervisors, senators and congressmen for decades to 'get us out of our cars and into public transit.' I see no way out of this mess other than to alter one's habits.
I drive the diesel rig hunting, to haul stuff and to work when it rains. Otherwise, I drive the 30-40 mpg Harley exclusively. Yet I don't burn 1/2 the fuel than the neighbor who does everything but sleep in the hybrid she owns -she's driving that thing 10-12 hours a day. We've lost the ability to walk. It'll be our downfall.

I wonder if anyone could put a figure on how much cheaper gas would be "IF" there were just one Blend, instead of three? I am sure the people who need the Premium could pour the extra from a bottle. Inquiring minds want to know! John

Question for you two homebrew experts. When you make your own diesel, I'm sure the feds and state still want their per gallon cut. How does that work? Honor system? What do you think it will cost you to produce per gallon once you've got things up and running?

BHR, I can't think of where Taxes are at at this point as it is such a small amount being made. Not to say it would'nt be a fair thing, my truck uses the same ones that the taxed fuel would. The cost is a realistic $1.00 a gallon, not taking into the start up costs. For my Group, we are looking at a start up of around $800 Each. So, let's say Uncle and the state says you must have a $500 permit and pay $.50 per gallon to us, is'nt that still a big savings compared to $3.00 to $4.25 at the pumps? John

BHR, Good question about taxes. I'm sure sooner or later city, state and federal agencies will want their pound of flesh for everything -and they'll pass laws to get it too.
I am pretty far from being an expert on producing biodiesel, but I've spent hours reading up on it and crunching information. I've made one or two small batches and it looks pretty good. Diesel engines were orriginally designed to run on peanut oil, but for a long time oil that comes out of the ground was a lot cheaper. Now it isn't.
I figure I can get my system up and running for about $6-800. A third of the cost will be lab testing equipment.
I'm far more worried about breaking local fire code laws and having to store a couple of dangerous chemicals. I'm not too popular around town as it is. The system should start paying foe itself in about 3-4 tankfulls.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back