Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Garmin Xero A1

IAhawks84

Hey everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good winter. Getting ready to get cold here in Iowa.

So I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin Xero A1? If so, what are your thoughts?

Myself and my Dad will be going on a elk hunt in September. We've both got range finders, but like with deer hunting here, you don't always have the time to range.

I usually range everything from my stand as soon as I get there, but that's not necessarily possible elk hunting. I'm curious how "tech savvy" this is as well.

Thanks and have a great night!

Hope you’re not going to Idaho, I believe that sight is not allowed.
Also, don’t shoot a Pope & Young animal as it won’t be accepted.
The couple guys I know that have them, like them. I’d worry about batteries and dirt.

I recently became interested in this topic. I'm still sorting out whether I believe this technology should be allowed, much less whether I should personally use it.

This year I practiced hard with archery out to 60 and felt absolutely 100% capable at that distance for a kill shot. Long story short, elk came in and wouldn't hold still long enough to go between range finder and flinging an arrow. I missed twice before I decided I was going to wound the animal unless I changed strategy. The elk continued to walk around and bark at me, plus I found both arrows so no doubt my shots were clean misses. If I had had a buddy beside me to range the target then all would have been ok. If I would have had a buddy to call from behind me, then the elk likely would have come within 30 yards and not been focused on my location. I could have helped myself by setting up on the ridgetop where the elk would have had to come to the top to get a view. Anyway, with the elk staring at my location it would take 30 seconds or so to go from ranging to shooting and the elk would move. An elk can go a long way in a few steps angling one direction or another. It was eye opening. I plan stuff down to extreme details but never really imagined this issue till it happened...., thus my thoughts turning to GPS sights.

So, part of me says that GPS sights are a good thing to keep wounded animals to a minimum.

Another part of me says that I simply shouldn't have pulled the trigger when I wasn't certain. The answer isn't more technology, but to strictly keep within your limitations. If the elk moves before you can switch from ranging to shooting, then just don't shoot, that's part of the game. However, I doubt your average hunter will go this route when they pay thousands for the elk/deer/antelope tag. Most folks will pull the trigger and hope they get it.

Tree stand hunting back east this is hardly an issue since you can usually range known distances in advance. I've taken lots of deer with archery and never considered GPS sights before this experience and hunting out West. I can imagine solo archery antelope would have the same issues.

Is it cheating or is it a good thing? Thanks for listening to my rambling on the subject. The jury is still out on whether I'll have one of these attached to my bow next year. It seems they are legal in states I hunt.

I've spent lots of time trying to estimate distance in open fields. Maybe I suck, but I can't do it with any consistency. At 40 yards and less I get much more accurate. However, a slight rise or dip totally changes the perspective. Also, what if you buy a 1k electronic sight and it becomes illegal for hunting everywhere?

Hope you’re not going to Idaho, I believe that sight is not allowed.
Also, don’t shoot a Pope & Young animal as it won’t be accepted.
The couple guys I know that have them, like them. I’d worry about batteries and dirt.
I think that only applies to rifle scopes when I went to look into it. Unless something has changed in the mean time. I do not see the reason as to not allow it. Plus it serves as a tracking assitant giving you a location of where the ranged shot may have landed.

Pope & Young is pretty clear.
“By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target”

Idaho looks pretty clear also.
“With any electronic or tritium-powered device attached to an arrow, bolt, or bow, except hunters with a physical or visual disability may apply for a Reasonable Modification Permit
to use a crossbow or a device that holds a bow at partial or full draw and/or use a scope or sight magnification(including battery-powered or tritium-lighted reticles) that may include magnification up to 4x power”.

Guessing you should read the rules a little better.

Looks like Montana is a no-go with this sight as well, I was really considering getting one. I wonder if states will come around because this is new? I am just getting in to archery. Next fall will be my first archery hunt in Montana (assuming I draw a general combo tag).

Looks like Montana is a no-go with this sight as well, I was really considering getting one. I wonder if states will come around because this is new? I am just getting in to archery. Next fall will be my first archery hunt in Montana (assuming I draw a general combo tag).
We were just allowed lighted nocks two years ago, I wouldn't hold your breath hoping this sight will be allowed any time soon.

Not allowed in Montana. Practice your range finding skills.
I have the Vortex fury bino's with rangefinder. Although they are handy as heck normally I can see where they would be a hindrance when archery hunting. Next year will be my first year archery hunting so will just have to practice using them and quickly getting back in my harness.

I know several folks who use them. Seems like cheating watching colored lights change... Especially with how good slider sights are now.

I think these are part of why western archery OTC is going away more and more. Solving the puzzle of hunting via technology, people shooting bows 100 yards+ at animals.

I submitted a comment to azfg asking them to ban these and range finding scopes, with more interest in western hunting all the technology is destined to limit our opportunity over the long run.

Why do we have to constantly have to make things easier? Is it the eternal path of least resistance? What about embracing the suck or getting good enough to get real close before taking your shot? The ever increasing ease at which people get good at archery without having to put much into it will certainly lead to its limitations in terms of tag quotas. And your ability to not draw one. Sorry for the truth. Shoot what you want, try not to complain when the change comes.

The hardest part (in my novice opinion) is getting an animal in your sights in the first place. This makes for more accurate, ethical shots, after all the hard work is done.

There are lots of ways to make hunting harder, but cleaner kills are not so much of an issue with fair chase IMO.

Last few days of Illinois deer season the fog rolled it. Fog was so bad that my Vortex rangefinder wouldn’t work until about 10am.
If I’d had this sight, it would have been worthless. With my pre ranged points and Spot Hogg sight, I was still in business.

That's a good point I hadn't considered, though I wonder if you can manually enter holdover dots in that scenario. I know with the Sig BDX system you can do this (though less of an issue with the standard reticle still there).

I think that only applies to rifle scopes when I went to look into it. Unless something has changed in the mean time. I do not see the reason as to not allow it. Plus it serves as a tracking assitant giving you a location of where the ranged shot may have landed.

The Pope and Young Club, as well as B&C, does not accept any North American animal into the records program that is taken by the use of a range finding sight. No electronics are allowed on the bow (excluding lighted nocks and/or a camera for filming purposes).

Roy Grace
P&Y Records Chairman

The Pope and Young Club, as well as B&C, does not accept any North American animal into the records program that is taken by the use of a range finding sight. No electronics are allowed on the bow (excluding lighted nocks and/or a camera for filming purposes).

Roy Grace
P&Y Records Chairman
Thank you sir!
How’s that new granddaughter doing? Got her shooting yet?
Jim

To add to the states already mentioned, these sights are also not allowed in Colorado:
Screenshot_20220217-093259_Drive~2.jpg

Back