Garmin inReach Explorer +

Huntsalot

I was looking at purchasing a Garmin inReach Explorer+ for a Colorado backcountry hunt. My primary use would be for communications with maps for the area I will be hunting being a bonus. Does anyone have experience with this Garmin. The reviews seem to be mostly positive. I like the ability to choose the monthly plan versus an annual. Your thoughts on the pros and cons of this unit would be appreciated.

I used one of these on on my first western hunt last year - WY antelope. I also had 64s with a chip and OnX with my iPhone. Granted this is from a newb but I’ve been contemplating a backpack hunt and wouldn’t do one without an inReach in the party. The unit worked great and my Dad, who couldn’t tag along due to disability, could follow my progress and experience the hunt on some level.

Most importantly, it offers great peace of mind, in that if you’re alone, it could save your life and if you are in a group, you can get help that much faster in the event something bad does happen. It’s cheap and functional insurance.

Battery life was great. Resolution was not great. No camera either. Not sure about where you’re at on weight, but the inReach and OnX in you phone with a portable charger is the way to go if you can add the weight. Then you’ll have a camera as well and the excellent resolution from OnX.

If I could do it over again, I wouldn’t have bought the 64s and chip and spent the money on the inReach (I borrowed the unit for my hunt).

Thanks for the information. I am going to go with the inreach most likely. Everything i have read sounds like it should work well for me.

The inReach worked best when clipped to the outside of my pack. I would have a good case and a secure method for attaching it to your pack. I didn’t have a good case, just the carabiner it came with. Made me nervous to have a piece of equipment that expensive just carabinered to the outside of my pack. I think you’ll be happy with your purchase. They are good units for what they do. Good luck this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back