Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gardiner Bighorn Sheep die off, possible closure HD 305

It was intentional and malignant behavior.

At a minimum he should receive 1 charge of poaching for every dead bighorn.

He has to break a law to be charged with poaching. Intentional and malignant behavior isn't illegal.

The more attention he gets by grazing sheep the more sheep he is going to graze.

Patrick

There is a huge difference between keeping bighorns away from a long-standing domestic sheep grazing operation and Hoppe bringing sheep a couple of years ago to the border of Yellowstone knowing full well they would fatally infect the animals in the world's most famous park.

If you don't/can't see the difference Bighornram you should change your screen name.

There is a huge difference between keeping bighorns away from a long-standing domestic sheep grazing operation and Hoppe bringing sheep a couple of years ago to the border of Yellowstone knowing full well they would fatally infect the animals in the world's most famous park.

Rob,

The 283 herd was there before the city of Missoula started leasing domestic sheep to control the weeds on their private property on Mount Jumbo, knowing full well that interaction between these domestics and the local wild sheep herd would result in fatally infecting the wild sheep. The 283 herd had a recent die off which was likely caused by the cities leased sheep (but cannot be confirmed.....just like Hoppe's herd).

So other than being near the "worlds most famous park", the to 2 die offs seem fairly similar to me.

If you were consistent, you would think the same.

Doesn't need to be mentioned...most people that know anything about bighorns can connect the most obvious of dots.

So what's your opinion Paul, are you supportive of Hoppe and what he did?

You seem to be deflecting that Hoppe's actions have most likely killed off a herd of Bighorns, or at least acting like an apologist for him.

Last edited:
Rob,

The 283 herd was there before the city of Missoula started leasing domestic sheep to control the weeds on their private property on Mount Jumbo, knowing full well that interaction between these domestics and the local wild sheep herd would result in fatally infecting the wild sheep. The 283 herd had a recent die off which was likely caused by the cities leased sheep (but cannot be confirmed.....just like Hoppe's herd).

So other than being near the "worlds most famous park", the to 2 die offs seem fairly similar to me.

If you were consistent, you would think the same.

I had forgotten about the weed control thing but no, bringing sheep in for weed control is not the same as bringing them in to kill bighorns because you hate the government. I will credit you with being consistent in the content you bring to these threads.

It would be nice to see the domestic sheep industry support testing of both domestics and dead bighorns when there is an outbreak, so that we are not left to speculate on the cause. They seem so sure that the science is flawed. If it is, that would be a very good way to provide more clarity to the issue.

I had forgotten about the weed control thing but no, bringing sheep in for weed control is not the same as bringing them in to kill bighorns because you hate the government. I will credit you with being consistent in the content you bring to these threads.

I thought Hoppe brought the sheep in for wolf bait, Rob. Bighorns are just collateral damage from his ignorant actions.

Rightwing nut job Hoppe is in pissing match with the government.

Leftwing nut jobs in Missoula don't want to use chemicals to spray the noxious weeds on their property, so they are taking a more progressive approach.

BOTH are knowingly killing bighorns.

Doesn't need to be mentioned...most people that know anything about bighorns can connect the most obvious of dots.

So what's your opinion Paul, are you supportive of Hoppe and what he did?

You seem to be deflecting that Hoppe's actions have most likely killed off a herd of Bighorns, or at least acting like an apologist for him.

I think Hoppe's a jackass, Buzz. Did you read my comments earlier in the thread where Jim W (your good friend;)) tried to reason with Hoppe?

I still haven't seen where you have condemned the city of Missoula for their use of domestic sheep. Are you an apologist for them?

Screenshot (180).jpg

Here's a map. Domestics on Mount Jumbo. Wild Sheep around West Riverside. Wild Sheep don't even have to cross a river to get in trouble. And the Missoulian is worried if Enrique Banda will have a job this summer. Great journalism by the Missoulian.

Last edited:
Paul,

Feel free to pen a letter to the editor, or better yet, use your charming personality to get a reporter to cover your story...

Take action.

BHR, is MT WSF concerned about the domestic sheep on Jumbo? Are they addressing it?

Talking to the city has had as much success as talking to Hoppe. Been some talk about a letter to the editor. I'll look into it.

It's hardt to get a reading on where you stand on sportsmens issues Paul.

I wanted to get this page set up in Dec. when the die offs began occurring, but the head trauma got in the way and with no short term memory or composition skills, it simply was not possible. But last week, thanks to the neurofield therapy (electrical impulses, like hooking jumper cables up to a weak battery, I feel like Dr. Frakensteins monster :) ) I got both back.

I may be missing some data, and I think I am missing some of my pictures from May 2013, but I think it is all mostly there. If anyone knows of something or has a suggestion, please dont hesitate to let me know.

Bill Hoppes Domestic Sheep Threat page

My dad had a late elk permit in 98 and I bumped into this nice ram at corwin while scouting. Too bad about the herd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 297

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back