Game Bags?

Wilderness_56587

How many of you use game bags for antelope? We do the gutless method and the animals are usually in the cooler within a hour max of be processed in the field. This is for rifle hunting in WY around the 1st of October so temps around 50-70 degrees

Only use bags for the cape on lopes to contain hair and let it cool. For lopers in WY, I gutless and toss on a tarp and then either into cooler as quarters or debone and straight into Ziplocks, depending on hunt duration, cooler space, etc.

Pronghorn hair is very loose, and theres a lot of dirt out on the plains. We use old pillow cases to keep the meat clean as we gutless quarter in the field, as where we hunt you cant drive a vehicle close to the animal.

I use game bags. Have a set sized for elk. For pronghorn, we gutless where they drop, it all goes in one bag and into the backpack, then start walking.

A whole antelope, skinned and gutted, quartered, or halved will fit in an elk quarter bag from caribou gear. I use 4 bags though.

Black Ovis Large size bags here.

Quartered 3 does on separate days, washed/dried at the hotel and the same bag was looking none the worse for wear.

I use maybe 3 sometimes 4 per antelope. I go a bit further than some to keep meat clean. I use different brands depending on what stores are selling here but large caribou size quartering bags. I also keep ribs and brisket where some do not.

PS: Don't type on phone LOL. It kept changing quartering to quarreling and I had to go to PC to correct.

I prefer the synthetic bags like the ones from Black Ovis (etc.) over the cheesecloth style. I think you cant go wrong with any of the quality bags that are on the market.

I prefer the synthetic bags like the ones from Black Ovis (etc.) over the cheesecloth style. I think you cant go wrong with any of the quality bags that are on the market.
I agree and I have been using game bags of various makes since the 60s when I first started hunting. Avoid cheese cloth totally especially if it is warm at all. Synthetic is best because it stays dryer. You should be prepared to buy the better bags and not pinch on price either. I now have around 12 that I have used for about 10 years now and no holes. A few stains but they wash well and dry quickly.

Back