Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

FWS Ready to Compromise With Wyoming

BigHornRam

Can't find a link yet to an AP story in this mornings paper. FWS is going to offer a compromise with Wyoming reguarding their wolf management plan. For all that said Wyoming was the problem......apology accepted!

My bet is the compromise will be. You can't have them as both a varmint/and trophy species.

I hope it comes to an end soon though. I really want to hang one of those sombitches on my wall!

BigWhore said:
Can't find a link yet to an AP story in this mornings paper. FWS is going to offer a compromise with Wyoming reguarding their wolf management plan. For all that said Wyoming was the problem......apology accepted!

hahahahaha everytime Bighole opens his piehole, he shows how stupid he is... :D

The Feds new "compromise" is Wyoming can manage them as a Trophy everywhere the Feds want them to be, and the Feds won't care how Wyoming manages them where the Feds DON'T want them to be. It will be funny to watch anti-hunting ranchers and cowboys in the Wyoming Legislature try and chew on that one.... lmao.....

Feds propose wolf deal

print page | send as email | email editor

By Cory Hatch
December 15, 2006

A compromise on Wyoming’s wolf management plan, if accepted, could lead to the removal of the wolf from protection under the Endangered Species Act.

Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will meet with Gov. Dave Freudenthal on Monday to discuss the compromise, proposed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Regional Director Mitch King.

The plan includes a permanent region where the Wyoming Game and Fish Department would manage wolves as trophy game, which means they could be shot only by hunters who first obtain a license. The boundary would run from Cody to Meeteetse, around the outer edge of the Wind River Reservation, down to the Boulder River, back up through Pinedale, and up to Jackson and west to the Idaho state line. Outside of that boundary, wolves would be considered predators and could be killed without regulation.

Wyoming’s current wolf management plan, which the federal government has rejected, contains a moveable boundary between trophy and predator areas that Game and Fish would review every six months. State officials could expand or shrink the boundary based on population sizes. The movable boundary could shrink to the designated wilderness areas adjacent to Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks.

Wyoming is currently in litigation with the Fish and Wildlife Service over the service’s refusal to accept the plan, and wolves cannot be delisted until Wyoming’s plan is adopted. Fish and Wildlife has already accepted wolf plans from Idaho and Montana.

“One of the discomforts of wolf experts like Ed [Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service] was that this line would fluctuate,” King said. “This is what I think will pass muster and will satisfy the biological requirements of the recovery plan.”

King said he will spend the next month talking with Wyoming officials and legislators about any concerns they have over the proposed compromise.

“The real prize here is delisting the wolf,” he said.

According to Bangs, King’s proposal should provide enough protection for Wyoming wolves.

“Biologically, I think that’s fine, that would work,” Bangs said. “We really don’t need them [wolves] ... to be outside that area to meet our recovery objectives.”

The proposed boundary would encompass all the current wolf packs in the state of Wyoming with the exception of the Carter Mountain Pack west of Meeteetse. Carter Mountain is in Shoshone National Forest just outside the Washakie Wilderness area. Bangs said Fish and Wildlife officers have tried to eliminate the pack during the past two years because the wolves around Carter Mountain continuously prey on livestock.

The proposed plan would compensate ranchers who lose livestock to wolves inside the trophy area, but outside the boundary, where wolves could be killed year round by any means, ranchers would receive no compensation for lost animals.

Bangs said that it’s time to remove wolves from Endangered Species Act protection.

“This is us reaching out, saying, ‘We think this will work for you, it will certainly work for us, lets talk about it,’” he said. “Everybody knows that the wolf population has recovered and everybody believes that the management of the recovered wolf population is best handled by the states. Wyoming will have to decide whether it’s in their best interest or not.”

Freudenthal’s press secretary Lara Azar said the governor hasn’t formed an opinion on the proposed compromise.

“We will wait to judge that proposal until we hear it,” she said.

Clark Allan, Game and Fish commissioner from Teton County, said the plan could work.

“If everything I’ve heard about it turns out to be true, then I’m in favor of it,” he said. “I’m very optimistic, but I want to see it in writing.”

State Rep. Pat Childers, a Republican from Cody, one of the leaders in Wyoming’s efforts to sue Fish and Wildlife over the wolf plan, called the compromise a possibility.

Childers said Fish and Wildlife still needs to address issues like wolves on private land, grazing and monitoring. Further, Childers said he wants an iron-clad commitment from Fish and Wildlife.

“In jest, I said I want some blood on that letter ... Mr. Bang’s blood,” Childers said. “I need a firm commitment by him.”

And the first comments from the Wyoming Sheep Lovers Association.....
The Wyoming Stock Growers Association, however, rejected the idea outright. Spokesman Jim Magagna said the group frowns on the inclusion of private land between Meeteetse and Cody and around Dubois in the expanded wolf management area.

He said about 10,000 head of cattle and 4,000 head of sheep graze on U.S. Forest Service land inside the redrawn boundaries.

“Perhaps the state can come up with a counter offer to take back, but we will urge strongly that this proposal not be accepted,” Magagna said.

Wyoming's standoff with the federal government over wolves has stalled delisting of the animals in the three-state area where reintroduction occurred a decade ago.

Wyoming's federal lawsuit challenging the rejection of its wolf management plan could take years to reach resolution, officials have said.

Jose, maybe you can help me with my Spanish. I have noticed lately, every time you are losing an argument, and getting your butt kicked you use the term;
JoseCuervo said:
hahahahaha
Is this Spanish for “I admit, you are right and I am wrong “? :D

A-con,
What argument have I lost? Do you think the Wyoming ranchers haven't been the problem with de-listing? Who do you think has been holding up the delisting?
This should be funny to hear your informed opinion.....
hahahahaha

i'm with you on that one bighorn ram "never compromise" and never sign a leagle document untell all the t are crossed and the i's dotted. if its not a plan we want to live with reject it.....

So the "compromise" is that WY can manage the wolves anywhere the FWS doesn't need for wolf habitat, like downtown Cheyenne and downtown Rawlins and maybe some of the suburbs, too. Great! We'd do the same here in Idaho. In fact, we're thinking about demanding sole jurisdiction over wolves inside the city limits of Boise, Pocatello and Sandpoint. If the feds will give us that face saving compromise we'll beat our chests and call it a victory over the gummint. They can't tell us what to do!:D

God I hope that Wyoming is smart enough to accept this so we can get this delisting going.

Whether Wyoming settles with FWS or beats them in court, Ithaca 37's wolf hugger buddies are still going to sue to stop delisting. That's a FACT. So what route is better to get them delisted quicker? Settling with FWS out of court or setting legal precedent while beating their sorry asses in court? Think about it Tone. FWS wouldn't be offering Wyoming a compromise if they thought they could win the suit.

Another thing...how come the FWS didn't offer Freudenthal a compromise BEFORE the election? If I was Freudenthal, I'd let the fuggers twist. The FWS has got plenty of plenty of problems with the CSCT in Montana now as well, show them who's there daddy!

gov dave is the only dem i ever voted for and its his wolf management plan that got him that vote.
don't give in governer dave. don't let the fws run our state.
reject it..............
i don't care who wants to shoot a wolf. the sum bit##es should have never been brought back in the first place.

Stay tuned as the landowner/outfitter/stockgrower run Wyoming State Legislature blows this chance.

WY will not be winning any court battles with the FWS on this issue....FACT.

Perhaps FWS is trying to "comprimise" with Wyoming because they think delisting needs to occur and they realize that Wyoming is unwilling to come up with a plan that is acceptable on its own. Maybe FWS is tired of the stalemate that Wyoming is currently engaged in. I fully agree that the lawsuits from enviro groups will be next once Wyoming has an accpetable plan in place, but even that will be one step closer than we currently are.

BHR is good at speculating the problems...but he's not real good at accepting the fact that Wyoming is the CURRENT problem with delisting.

Who cares whats going to happen IF Wyoming comes up with an acceptable plan?

That bridge will be easier to cross when all three states have an acceptable plan that the FWS agrees to. The huggers will have a difficult time in court when the states of ID, MT, and WY along with the USFWS are in agreement over delisting...another FACT.

FACT # 1: 280 is the queerest SOB on the net

FACT # 2: FWS didn't go for Idaho's wolf cull plan....huggers will make sure to point that one out.

FACT # 3: FWS getting their ass handed to them by Wyoming will speed up delisting.

FACT # 4: USFWS is the problem.

FACT # 5: Buzz needs to invest in a hairpiece.

Back