Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

FWP Commission bankrupts Habitat Montana

ingomar

Yesterday, Dec. 10th, the Montana FWP Commission approved the purchase of the Milk River Ranch for 4.7 million dollars, most of which will come from the Habitat Montana program which is funded by hunters and anglers who buy licenses. Montana Sportsmen Alliance had requested an extension of the public comment period until Feb. 1, 2013 and recommended a 2nd appraisal of the subject property. Our request, complete with the rationale for the extension, can be found at www.montanasportsmenalliance.com under “News & Clips”, along with several newspaper articles on the purchase.

MSA fully supports land acquisitions of high quality wildlife habitat. We just want sportsmen dollars to be spent wisely and to get the most bang for our bucks.

In a nutshell, we paid 4.7 million for a property that FWP had anticipated would appraise for 2.8 million. The hunting/fishing recreational opportunities are marginal, at best, based on reports of local sportsmen and those who have hunted/fished it. The primary value seems to be in its “bones & stones” component of ancient Indian sites and existence of dinosaur bones not high quality wildlife habitat with suitable public access. This is not an appropriate use of hunters/anglers dollars.

The initial proposal assumed that P/R funds could be used to fund 75% of the purchase but later USFWS determined the use of P/R funds for this purchase was inappropriate. FWP management learned of the loss of $3.5 million in PR funds before the comment period closed but made no effort to inform the public or to allow the public to comment on this huge change to the project and the impacts to sportsmen. Therefore the bulk of the funds must now come from the Habitat Montana fund which will be effectively broke after this purchase.

FWP has a process and ranking system in selecting properties to be acquired by purchase or fee easement. For 2012, the Milk River Ranch property ranked #15 out of 15 properties. This ranking sheet is also on our website.

Received an email from a very reputable source that the Commissioners already knew how they were going to vote prior to yesterday’s meeting. Based on the Commissioners comments after the public comment period it was obvious that their decision had already been made and the public comment was only a dog and pony show to meet public comment rules.

Here are some questions to ponder:
If you were the buyer of a property that you anticipated paying 2.8 million for and the Seller increased the price to 4.7 based on an appraisal, would you not ask for a second appraisal to justify the value?

Since the mineral rights on app 60% of the acreage is held by the United States, can those rights be sold/leased to allow for oil/gas exploration?

What specific criteria (ie amount of wildlife, acreage, habitat, hunting/fishing opportunities etc.)was used to allow the #15 property to become #1? (the dept. stated as a reason that is not uncommon to jump in rank, but gave no other reason.)

What harm would have been done by extending the public comment period? (supposedly the seller wanted to close by 12/31/12 for tax purposes, but does this mean the buyer should not complete their due diligence?)

Who was driving this purchase and for what reason?

Was this purchase politically motivated?

Was pressure placed on the FWP Commissioners and, if so, by whom?

Did the Commissioners act in the best interest of the sportsmen/women of Montana or one of the political parties?

Were FWP personnel ordered to put this property at the head of the list, and if so, by whom?

Who in their right mind would want to be Director of FWP under these circumstances of micromanagement?

Who would want to work for a Dept that is politically corrupt and micromanaged?

How can the public get truthful answers to the above questions, or can they?

Bottom line:

Habitat Montana has just lost virtually all of its funds and other highly qualified projects such as the Buffalo Coulee and Teigen Ranch acquisitions, can no longer take place in this fiscal year.
In testimony yesterday, many landowners stated that if the Milk River purchase was approved, they would no longer allow any public hunting on their lands.
The FWP Commission has violated their fiduciary responsibilities as Trustees to use sportsmen dollars to provide the maximum benefits for those who provided the funding for Habitat Montana.
The FWP Commission has lost credibility with the sportsmen and women of Montana.
The FWP Commission has lost credibility with landowners across the state at a time when the Commission was already not held in high regard.
It appears that political motivation has once again taken precedent over the well being of our wildlife resources, habitat, and acquiring additional access for sportspeople.
The FWP Commission made a fiscally irresponsible decision.
This vote will further harm landowner/sportsmen relations that many of us have spent the last two years trying to rebuild.

THE ULTIMATE LOSER IN THIS PURCHASE IS THE HUNTERS/ANGLERS OF MONTANA THRU LOSS OF DOLLARS FROM HABITAT MONTANA, LOSS OF THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACQUIRE OTHER EXCEPTIONAL PROPERTIES, LOSS OF CONFIDENCE IN THE SYSTEMS IN PLACE TO GIVE SPORTSMEN A VOICE, LOSS OF CONFIDENCE IN FWP LEADERSHIP AND POTENTIAL LOSS OF ACCESS DUE TO LANDOWNER DISSATISFACTION WITH THE FWP COMMISSION.

Is this correct?

"FWP officials had expected the land appraisal to come in at $2.8 million instead of the $4.7 million. In addition, they had anticipated using federal funds raised by the sale of guns and ammunition for the purchase; when that fell through they turned to the Habitat Montana fund, which comes from the sale of hunting licenses in Montana.
The purchase drained that fund, with new money for other projects not being available until the next fiscal year for Montana begins in July 2013."

So out of money for 6 months?

TJ

What you posted is the same as what we have heard. Which newspaper article did that come from. The great Bozeman paper has not published any articles on the sale.

Seems the Helena Indpendent Record has been on this from the beginning. They actually have a reported who has done some research and found some rather peculiar things related to this deal. Worth the time to read it, if you like political skid greasing stories.

http://helenair.com/news/local/milk...cle_763a2afa-3c4b-11e2-a81b-0019bb2963f4.html

Here is the IR story on the Commission vote yesterday and has the quote that Tony mentioned.

http://helenair.com/news/local/fwp-...cle_7393e208-42f6-11e2-8668-0019bb2963f4.html

Funny how the Commissioners think this will be kept a secret. Starting last summer, I was getting calls from folks in the Helena FWP office wanting to let people know what was going on with this deal. Too many people know how this went down. The details are not going to be secret for too long and those who decided this needed to be 'fast-tracked" before the current Governor leaves office are going to look like fools.

From what I can gather, not a single person in Senior staff wants this deal, with maybe the exception of the Director. Yet, for some reason, the deal has moved from the bottom of the ladder to the top of the ladder in priorities.

So, the Department will take a beating over it, even though none of them want it. What a thankless job they have.

Bad news is that in a time when our agency has limited funds; when they are under intense legislative scrutiny, politicians intervene for what appear to be personal reasons, requiring the Department to do a deal like this. Not only squandering scare funds and foregoing much better opportunities for access, but also giving lots of ammo to those critics who would prefer that FWP never again purchase another piece of property. That is the long-term damage of this fiasco.

Any bets this gets some legislators even more amped up to keep FWP out of the land business? I am giving 10 to 1 odds.

• By EVE BYRON Independent Record
(1) CommentsA state proposal to purchase a ranch 42 miles northwest of Havre for recreation and protection of natural resources is being both praised and … Read more
After more than two hours of sometimes heated testimony Monday, the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission voted 4-1 to purchase 2,992 acres on the Milk River Ranch north of Havre for $4.7 million.
The decision is the final step toward putting the entire 4,505-acre ranch — which includes about 10 miles of the Milk River and is owned by Verges and David Aageson — into public hands.
FWP will use the bottomland as a Wildlife Management Area; the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation purchased the ranch’s other 1,513 acres last month for about $1.1 million. The Board of Regents also agreed to pay $2 million to the Aagesons for the right to paleontological and archaeological artifacts on the land, bringing the total sale price to $7.8 million.
Commissioner Bob Ream noted how the ranch borders Canada, and how that country already has set aside large swathes of land as a wildlife corridor and habitat. He said that not only would this purchase add to their efforts, he’s also thrilled with the way FWP worked with DNRC and the Regents to make the sale happen.
“All in all, for the benefit for the state of Montana as well as in the long run, I think this is now an opportunity we can’t pass up,” Ream said.
Commissioner Ron Moody adamantly disagreed.
“I have listened carefully for new information that would change my view of this piece of business and I remain firmly opposed to this purchase,” Moody said.
He adds that he admires and respects the Aageson family for their objectives for the land, as well as for negotiating with FWP in good faith.
“But as a commissioner I’m clearly charged with being an effective public trustee, to spend that money to the best advantage of the people who contributed that money,” Moody said. “I cannot get past the feeling that we need another appraisal. If I was making this purchase with my own money and this appraisal came in as it did, I would want a second appraisal.”
FWP officials had expected the land appraisal to come in at $2.8 million instead of the $4.7 million. In addition, they had anticipated using federal funds raised by the sale of guns and ammunition for the purchase; when that fell through they turned to the Habitat Montana fund, which comes from the sale of hunting licenses in Montana.
The purchase drained that fund, with new money for other projects not being available until the next fiscal year for Montana begins in July 2013.
About 70 people testified during the conference call hearing, with about 65 speaking in opposition to the sale of “stones and bones” and seven in favor of it, with one testifying the parcel is the “crown jewel of the Milk River.”
The majority of the comments came from Hill County-area residents, with about 100 of them gathering at a hotel conference room in Havre. Most were against to the purchase, mainly based on the price tag, the process, difficult public access, the source of funding and the possibility that the land eventually may become home to bison from Yellowstone National Park.
Bruce Kapperud, a landowner adjacent to the Aagesons’ ranch, also wondered who will maintain the gravel and dirt road that leads to the property, as well as take care of weeds and other management items.
“It’s my understanding Fish, Wildlife and Parks doesn’t have the people or money to maintain this and there’s already a backlog,” Kapperud told the commission. “If you approve this I will not allow hunters on my land and others area saying that too. So I’m figuring that’s maybe 50,000 acres that wouldn’t be allowed for hunting, and restricted from hunters.”
Sen. John Brendan, R—Scobey, who chairs the Fish and Game senate committee, called the property “stones and bones” and threatened to carry legislation that would force FWP to pay taxes on the purchase price when it buys property.
“This goes from 15th (on a FWP project list) to first,” Brendan said. “This doesn’t even pass the smell test.”
Vito Quatraro, with the Montana Sportsmen Alliance, said his group was asking FWP to extend the comment period in order to learn more about the sale.
“If you don’t, then we are in opposition to the purchase,” Quatraro said. “Montana Sportsmen Alliance strongly supports the acquisition of land by FWP to provide access and opportunities, but we want to make sure we acquire the best property for the money. What we see with this purchase are several problems.
He added that the land might make a good state park, but that money raised by the sale of hunting licenses shouldn’t pay for a park.
Yet others praised the purchase.
“This is important to conservation,” said Martha Kauffman, the managing director of northern plains for the World Wildlife Fund. “This is a unique opportunity to protect a long stretch of riparian habitat.”
Carey Schmidt, of Missoula, added that he’s enjoyed hunting on the ranch for the past three years.
“The deer hunting and upland game bird hunting is excellent, and when the elk are present it’s a great opportunity,” Schmidt said. “Lots of land gets locked up and it’s important for Fish, Wildlife and Parks to preserve this.”
The Public Land/Water Access Association reversed itself a second time, with President John Gibson saying that while they originally supported the project, then sought an extension of the public comment period, the group rethought their stance and now supports the acquisition.
“One of our officers is a land appraiser and tells me these kinds of appraisals go through serious scrutiny,” Gibson said. “To suggest it’s over-priced compared to something 50 miles away or down the road means nothing.”
Gary Anderson, a Malta real estate agent who had listed the property at one point for $16 million, said he had trouble coming up with a price tag for the ranch. He described looking at the parcel and wrestling with cost comparisons.
“I said this is historic, prehistoric, deeded land on both sides of the river. I said this is the crown jewel of the Milk River,” Anderson testified. “If this passes by on this trip it will be purchased in the near future at many more times the dollars you’re talking about today.”
Commissioner Shane Colton said he struggled with the project in some respects, but concluded that it would benefit Montana sportsmen and women. He said the rankings of projects are never set in stone and that criticism of the purchase is “a bit misplaced.”
“What’s difficult to determine is if the objections are to the proposal, to this administration or to FWP owning land,” Colton said. “I think it’s fair to say that the latter part is driving much of the discussion.”
Reporter Eve Byron: 447-4076 or [email protected]
Follow Eve on Twitter @IR_EveByron

I've always been in favor of getting as much lands back to the sportsman, as possible. This could of, and should have been done better. We acquired a lot less land than if the money would have been pooled with PR funds.

We elect officials hoping they do whats best for us.

In this case it was what was best for them.

Hard to believe that the asking price was doubled and they then voted to buy it anyway without at least one additional appraisal. That, in combination with the closure of the two wolf areas around YNP done in the same meeting, will not be known as one of the better meetings that they've held!

This is one of those things that people who like our current governor and FWP commission don't want to talk about.
I read in the Billings Gazette that FWP could have purchased a conservation easement for 22,000 acres of better hunting ground for the public to enjoy verse this overpriced 4000 acre piece. Yikes!

They could of paid $5 million for a conservation easement on the Cornwell place by Glasgow that would have guaranteed access to 24,000 acres of private deeded land all over the Milk River valley and this property had 100,000 acres of public ground associated with it so it could have been a HUGE chunk of land accessible but you know what, they didn't vote for Ole Brian. You have to be friends of Brian to get these kinds of deals.

Mr. Sihler noted that the ranch is 24,000 acres and holds grazing leases on an additional
100,000 acres of BLM and DNRC land. The cost of the conservation easement would
be $5,050,000 ($210/acre). The property supports diverse wildlife species, including
whitetail deer, antelope, sage grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, turkey, pheasant, waterfowl,
and migratory songbirds

I wonder why Ole Brian expertise deserted him during the Milk River Ranch deal making.

Governor Schweitzer stated that USDA regulations already protect this land from being
sodbusted. He referenced the outrage expressed by his opponent [Roy Brown] in the
recent gubernatorial pre-election debates over the state purchasing such large tracts of
land. He questioned the appraised value attached to the land at this time, citing both his
credentials as a soil scientist and an individual who buys and sells ranches. He stated
that appraisals completed on similar tracts have values significantly lower than the
Cornwell Ranch. He expressed his concerns over the valuation, as well as his
understanding of the importance of legacy and preservation. Governor Schweitzer
referenced a map to illustrate existing access to state and BLM land. He reiterated his
understanding of the subjective nature of the appraisal process, and his concerns that
the appraised value of this land is significantly higher than similar properties

http://dnrc.mt.gov/LandBoard/Archive/2008/November/Minutes.pdf

Remember the Milk River ranch is a great deal but having access guaranteed to 24,000 acres wasn't because the Governor questioned the $210 per acre price and the concern that spending $5 million on this deal would mean in the future there might not be enough money fund other priorities of the land board. It is good to be friends of Brian.

Nemont

Not the last we will hear of this issue, according to the legislators I have talked to. Even the moderates have given a heads up that things are going to change with the way FWP is allowed to purchase lands.

I have been talking to some of them in hopes the hunters get to say how the changes will work, rather than the expected outcome of "FWP CAN BUY NO MORE LAND" as is the desired outcome by those further toward the fringe.

The Commission has itself to thank for this problem they have created for all of us.

We were already going into a very challenging legislative session in Montana prior to the FWP Commission votes on the Milk River Ranch purchase and the wolf buffer zone vote. Now the session stands to get only worse with additional bad bills being brought forth that will have a negative impact on the sportsmen. Hope to see many Montana hunters/anglers coming to Helena and making their thoughts known to help protect our wildlife resourses and hunting heritage.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back