PEAX Equipment

Full Freezer!

JohnSWA

Senior Thread Mover
Hey guys,

I've just returned from my cow hunt and what an awesome hunt it was! I'm totally exhausted right now and I'd better be more coherent before I tell the story, but here's a couple of pics.

Does anyone recognize this water hole?
DSC01487.jpg

The funny thing was all of the good tanks were taken and nobody bothered to hunt this tank which was just west of a fork between two FS Roads!

Here's the freezer filler
DSC01481.jpg

I guess I have to show a pic of my mug
DSC01477.jpg

Like I always say..."Never underestimate the Karma of the "Hunttalk Hat" ! LOL! hump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good!Good!Good!.. does that mean that you got your pig butchered and I can have my meat sack back?

:cool:

Hmmm...Meat sack? I hope you mean your game bag! LOL! :p

Of course you can have your game bag back! On another subject, I've been meaning to talk to you about the factory loads I've been using on my .300 Winmag. I sighted in with and shot our animals with the Remington Corelokt factory rounds in 180 gr.

Both animals, meaning my son and mine...the bullets passed clean through. My sons calf, I can understand since it was such a close shot being 15 yards max, but my shot was at 262 yards measured by my range finder and the bulled passed clean through! The beast ran for another 50 yards before I put another round into its shoulder to put her down! Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed with the factory Remington round even though the first shot was almost perfect as shown in the pic.

John, About all you can do if you want a bullet that opens up more than a Remington Core Lokt, is go to a Nosler Ballistic Tip. However I don't see anything wrong with your bullets penetrating as much as they did, considering both shots were probably behind the shoulder and therefore didn't hit any bone. It's normal for elk to not go down immediately when shot through both lungs, doesn't make any difference what you shoot them with.

Let's see.. Remington 180 gr. Core Lokt, 300 Win mag, 260 yards, clean pass through and the animal died in about 50 yards... Sounds like a good thing to me John.

You've just engaged in one of the oldest controversies in sport hunting.

"I want a bullet that passes through and lodges under the skin on the opposite side!"
"I want a bullet that passes through and leaves a hole big enound to leave a good blood trail!"

WHen you gutted her, were here lungs like two large masses of red jello? If so, your bullet did it's job.

Which one is right? They both are right if the animal is recovered. Looking at your cow, I would say she is about 500 pounds on the hoof, probably a two year old. Not a lot of mass for a bullet that is designed to bring down her daddy at that distance. You would probably have gotten the same result had you been shooting at a 1000 pound bull. Elk are extremely hearty and strong animals. I've only seen a couple that have collapsed where they were shot. I've seen many more who run or even walk off to die a few yards distant.

:cool:

Way to go my guess is the 22 road in 5b [near the ranch. but could be anywhere... nice kill drive right to it.

John,

I've seen that water hole somewhere.LOL Thanks again for all your help trying to get my son an elk and the use of part of your trailer. What did she weigh at the processor?

Tim, I was sooooo tired when I dropped her off, I forgot to ask. I'm sure they'll tell me if I ask, or if I remember...LOL!

cjcj said:
Way to go my guess is the 22 road in 5b [near the ranch. but could be anywhere... nice kill drive right to it.

It's "Kenneth Tank" at the fork of 93 and 697. Just in case anyone was interested. I got a guy from an Arizona web site practically calling me a liar and saying the tank is somewhere else! Hunters crack me up!!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back