Caribou Gear

Full custom

DamascusSteel

Looking to start a full Custom this year and/or next year. Aside from cartridge, what brand action, stock and barrel can yall recommend? Local gunsmith recommends Defiance action with a Rock Creek barrel. I am looking at a foundations stock. Looking at doing PRS, maybe F Class. I prefer more midrange but could go long range depending on where i end up living. He recommended the 6mm GT for my plans.

Defiance makes a great action. So does kelby, lone peak and Borden. Rock creek are nice barrels as well as Bartlein, Brux.

IMO most quality aftermarket actions and barrels are a good choice. Much more important is the gunsmith you choose and his work. A good barrel with a bad cut chamber isn’t going to shoot. A mediocre grade barrel with a concentric cut chamber will shoot.

Regarding the cartridge I’d choose the bullets you want to shoot and pick the cartridge that has the velocity to maximize your choice.

Defiance makes a great action. So does kelby, lone peak and Borden. Rock creek are nice barrels as well as Bartlein, Brux.

IMO most quality aftermarket actions and barrels are a good choice. Much more important is the gunsmith you choose and his work. A good barrel with a bad cut chamber isn’t going to shoot. A mediocre grade barrel with a concentric cut chamber will shoot.

Regarding the cartridge I’d choose the bullets you want to shoot and pick the cartridge that has the velocity to maximize your choice.

This sums it up as far as parts go. The real question is if you can handle gay tiger or not…

As far as stocks go, I really like Manners stocks, but if you plan to order from them do it now. You're going to be waiting a while... unless you luck into finding one you want on their in-stock list.

cahunter805 nailed it.

If your going full custom, you may wanna choose which venue you want to shoot. And ask the question of what level do you want to compete.

If your shooting local club matches and are doing it just to go out & shoot, i'd say you can possibly come up with something that'll allow you to do both.

If your a competitor, and want to be placing/winning matches, then build for that venue.

Your not gonna be wanting to run around a PRS course with a 17lb rifle that has a 30" barrel.

If your going full custom, you may wanna choose which venue you want to shoot. And ask the question of what level do you want to compete.

If your shooting local club matches and are doing it just to go out & shoot, i'd say you can possibly come up with something that'll allow you to do both.

If your a competitor, and want to be placing/winning matches, then build for that venue.

Your not gonna be wanting to run around a PRS course with a 17lb rifle that has a 30" barrel.
Are you saying 17 lbs is too heavy for PRS?

Pierce engineering in Lansing, MI makes great actions at a good price point. They do full builds too and are a top notch gunsmiths. They have done Rem 700 4 assemblies for me now and I wouldn’t hesitate to contract a build with them for a full custom. You will get down to earth info, pricing, and get it the way you want it. It will shoot too if your wondering.

Are you saying 17 lbs is too heavy for PRS?
For me, heck yes!!

I don't even take my 10lb custom Mauser more than 100 yards from the truck!
Much less a timed event with physical exertion. And shooting from different positions.

I've used a 8lb hunting rifle for 600 yard F-Open. The only thing i can say is that i was there, and shot a match. (I'm required to shoot one match per year to have membership and be able to use that range)

For me, heck yes!!

I don't even take my 10lb custom Mauser more than 100 yards from the truck!
Much less a timed event with physical exertion. And shooting from different positions.

I've used a 8lb hunting rifle for 600 yard F-Open. The only thing i can say is that i was there, and shot a match. (I'm required to shoot one match per year to have membership and be able to use that range)

17 lbs is actually on the lighter end of the spectrum

Keep in mind lots of companies are making prefits for defiance and zermatt actions. I’ve done several now and all have been 1/2 minute guns that can be done without a smith.

First for prs style events is

Zermatt tl3 action
Proof prefit 26” comp contour in 6cm
Triggertech special
Krg whiskey 3 stock
Area 419 brake
Nf nx8 4-32

DD32AD65-F22F-4AB6-AC47-6D56F9954FEC.jpeg

Second more for NRL hunter style matches along with hunting is

Zermatt tl3
Proof CF 24” in 6.5 prc
Ag composites alpine hunter stock in CF
Hawkins bottom metal
Triggertech special
Bastard brake
NF nx8 4-32

B2B39274-B491-4786-AE04-123E03E447C2.jpeg

Personally, doubt you would go to f class again after shooting a prs style event.it’s just a lot more fun.

6gt is fine but harder to find components

6 cm and 6.5 cm is easy to get.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Borden’s and have a .300wsm and a 6.5 x 47. Jim is meticulous and makes beautiful actions and rifles.

Cahunter nailed it. Another action to add to the list is an Impact!

Keep in mind lots of companies are making prefits for defiance and zermatt actions. I’ve done several now and all have been 1/2 minute guns that can be done without a smith.

First for prs style events is

Zermatt tl3 action
Proof prefit 26” comp contour in 6cm
Triggertech special
Krg whiskey 3 stock
Area 419 brake
Nf nx8 4-32

View attachment 208419

Second more for NRL hunter style matches along with hunting is

Zermatt tl3
Proof CF 24” in 6.5 prc
Ag composites alpine hunter stock in CF
Hawkins bottom metal
Triggertech special
Bastard brake
NF nx8 4-32

View attachment 208424

Personally, doubt you would go to f class again after shooting a prs style event.it’s just a lot more fun.

6gt is fine but harder to find components

6 cm and 6.5 cm is easy to get.
Got any idea on the weight of those?

Got any idea on the weight of those?
The big girl is almost 13 lbs plus the bipod, loaded mag in I’ll bet it’s close to 15-16 lbs.

The carbon gun came in at 7.5 lbs plus the NF and rings put it at 9.75 lbs plus the bipod. I could put a lighter scope and ultralight bipod and cut some weight but I wasn’t really looking to be light. Honestly it feels light after shooting that heavy gun.

My next build will be a PRS type rifle. I’m going to build 6.5 x 47, defiance, manners, trigger tech. I’m unsure on barrel, probably Proof. For me it’s mostly just going to be high volume practice but I’d like to think that someday I might have the free time to get into PRS.

@DamascusSteel the 6GT is probably a good choice and rumor has it that soon Hornady will have factory ammo for it. I'd suggest looking at Zermatt actions as well, I have both Defiance and Zermatt and am very happy with both. Lots of good chassis out there Foundation, MPA, MDT, XLR, Xylo, etc. If you know a few people shooting PRS it would be nice to personally check several of the chassis, so many good ones, but personal fit is important. Lots of good barrels as well and as @Doublecluck mentioned with a pre-fit and some of the actions available you could put a good rifle together on your own. I've never done F class, but I can say that PRS is very enjoyable for me.

Back