Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Full Circle- Montana Mountain Goat Video

Good stuff and thanks for sharing. If I had to choose one big game animal to hunt for the rest of my life, I’d have a hard time not choosing mountain goats

That had to have been extremely satisfying, knowing that probably no one else in the room could or would put it to such good use. A less scrupulous group might have flipped SCI the bird on the way out the door. :D

Yeah, it might be an understatement to say that we didn't quite fit the mold, but just about everyone we met there were great people. Just different hunting priorities. There was a couple of guys that might have been giving me the bird.....

It was interesting, I think there were quite a few outfitters there waiting for the chance to pitch their B&C billy honey hole. One even told me we could ride dirt bikes right up to the goats in the Highwoods.....🙄 I politely informed them that I intended to do this on my own, and most of them were pretty cool about all of it.

Ross is being more than just a little humble. That last scouting trip he mentioned in August, he did a 30+ mile through hike by himself, over the course of three days. I picked him up at the trailhead with a cooler full of cold Rainier and take out BBQ. I don't want to be presumptuous, but I'd be surprised if any other auction tag holders have approached the opportunity like that.

Also, that billy is an incredible specimen. The goat I killed in 2014 that's shown at the beginning of the video barely missed Boone and Crockett. This goat absolutely dwarfs mine.

Gerald Martin in his element-

20190727_172648.jpg

The aforementioned flying wall tent. Nothing better than rolling into camp in the middle of the night and finding out your wall tent isn't where you left it.

20200413_083452.jpg

I suppose a pic of the billy probably would be appropriate....I have more pics I will try and post today.

View attachment 135985

Wow! That thing is huge, looks so much bigger in the picture than it did one the video. You sitting behind it gives such a good reference of size! Nice work and way to accomplish your goals on your terms!

I've had a zero bear night glassing from that saddle, ha. There's a scrubby little ice flow a couple of rigdes south that was my first climb in that part of the state.

I’ve hunted deer glassing from that saddle in the early 90s and once had a 5 bear night glassing from there in the spring.

It's a cool spot. I gained a lot of respect for those mountains last year.

Side story, the way that the basin laid, there was almost no way to get from where Ross killed the goat to where we started hiking. We had to go out the bottom, and come out way down on a county road. About half way out, we bumped a nice bear, and Gerald almost shot it.

The only rig we had at the bottom was my FJ, so we had to pile all five of us plus the goat, plus all our packs in/on it. Would've been something else to have had a bear in there also.

20191003_222059.jpg

Side story, the way that the basin laid, there was almost no way to get from where Ross killed the goat to where we started hiking. We had to go out the bottom, and come out way down on a county road. About half way out, we bumped a nice bear, and Gerald almost shot it.

The only rig we had at the bottom was my FJ, so we had to pile all five of us plus the goat, plus all our packs in/on it. Would've been something else to have had a bear in there also.

View attachment 135992
FE9BCA00-F5BB-4D6B-B62D-5B80937AB79F.jpeg

View attachment 135992

Is this before or after the chipmunk raided the TP and snacks? Just trying to figure the timeline where that little bastard figured out that your FJ was home to TP, snacks, and my camelbak hose. :LOL:

Ive watched it twice now hahaha that video is amazing, thank again for sharing such a cool experience congrats to all. One day I hope to accomplish the dream as well!

Wow! That thing is huge, looks so much bigger in the picture than it did one the video. You sitting behind it gives such a good reference of size! Nice work and way to accomplish your goals on your terms!

Thank you. Body size wise, it was definitely the biggest goat I saw all year. I weighed the meat when I got home and it was 112#. When I dropped him at the taxi he measured nose to tail on the table and he was over 6.5ft (that was as long as his measuring stick went).

My son and I watched the video last night. Great video - great goat and awesome hunt all the way around. Congrats to you. Will like to see the taxidermy when done.

Thanks, Kurt. I really appreciated your wisdom throughout scouting and the hunt. I can tell you when I dropped him off with Brian, I was super impressed with him, especially as it related to goats. I have spoken with him several times already, and I am confident my goat is in good hands...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back