Caribou Gear

Full Brimmed Hats?

R.K.

Went out fishing the other day, and I became acutely aware of my underlying tendency for the blinding paleness typical of redheads, which has been amplified by a long winter and a desk job. The back of my neck got a bit more than I bargained for, given I used sunscreen.

But that got me to thinking: which of you here hunts/fishes/goes out-of-doors with a full-brimmed hat? And if so, any suggestions on what to wear?

D6A87F97-CA16-49DA-BE8D-8633EFFDAF30_1_105_c.jpeg

I can't tell you the model,, but I've had something on this order for years. They shield the sun way better than a ball cap. Get one with a strap that will keep it on your head in a stiff wind. Also get one that you don't mind soaking with water. A wet hat and a breeze will make a hot sunny day far more comfortable.

I've been thinking the same thing since fishing4sanity's PSA a few days back. I occasionally wear a boonie hat rafting, but it only has a 2" brim. Like to find something with more coverage.

I've been wearing this one since 2004. Been my fishing hat since 2006. I really like the all around shade; especially on the back of my neck. Get something that breathes and can be dunked. That way when it gets hot you can soak it and put it back on, instanst AC.

sd.PNG

Well you see my Avatar with one...

14199206_10210319733338397_6464252678310193539_n.jpg

Summers are usually a palm straw
1098399_10201679332053765_1629096132_n.jpg

I wore a full leather full brim hat for many years until I wore it out. Nice for cooler weather and rain.

Don't have pictures but I wear full brimmed hats when I hunt. It keeps my eyes from burning and helps keeping me feeling cooled off.

I have started to wear more of the ultra light hoodies, love them! I have always been a ball cap person and have found these hoddie are perfect. Sun and wind protection and keep you cool plus if real windy I wear my hat over the hoodie. Amazon sells some cheap ones for $20, huk fishing ones are about $50. There Also part of my hunting layer system now.

I'm a hat guy. Worn them most of my life. Even inherted my uncles collection. From 1800's to 1960's in that one.
Wool felt cowboy hats,straw ones. Fedoras. Beenies. Still have a cowboy Beaver hat I bought the day Nixon resigned in Butte,MT.
I wear a wool felt hat most of the time. Just got a new Stetson Buffalo felt one.
One with thong to keep it on in wind & trees hunting. Have a boonie from back in the day.
I do wear caps most of the time hunting. I hate stuff catching in trees. I wear a lite hoodie or bases that works great over cap when needed.

When I'm hunting I wear baseball type caps. When I'm fishing I wear either a light weight mesh hat with full brim or if it's cold I have a heavier oil-cloth brimmed hat I got from Cabelas probably 20 years ago.
They do help keep my neck from getting sunburned.

DSCN0809.JPGDSCN1033.JPG

LOL I don't get fancy with my hats. I wear a full brimmed hat, sometimes a boonie hat but not so pricey I have to guard it from loss. I buy hunting hats for function not fashion. Someone don't like ma choice of hats, I just show them something to chew on. LOL Just me though. Everyone has their own preferences and that is cool.

I wear a Larry Mahan shantung in the summer months here and a felt stetson in the fall/winter. I also have a tilley style vented hat that I'll wear from time to time when I don't want the white of the Larry in the sun

A brim on the back of my head with a pack drives me a bit nuts. I've considered a jones hat because of this, but it's still either a boonie hat or a baseball hat for now.

When I'm hunting I wear baseball type caps. When I'm fishing I wear either a light weight mesh hat with full brim or if it's cold I have a heavier oil-cloth brimmed hat I got from Cabelas probably 20 years ago.
They do help keep my neck from getting sunburned.

View attachment 144666View attachment 144667
That beverage holster is great! I think I need one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back