Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Front strut replacement

Irrelevant

So after decades of paying others to work on my vehicles I've started dabbling in diy. I started with all the fluids, and have moved onto alternators and most recently the rear leaf springs and shocks. I'd like to replace the front shocks on my truck, but most of the YT vids talk about needing to do an alignment at the same time, that isn't in my diy wheel house. Is it still valuable to replace the struts then have Schwab do an alignment check? Fill me in on the details, I'm a total noob.

Yes, as above get the alignment done. Still going to save quite a bit between labor and what they upcharge on parts.
Don't use an impact on the top mount bolt and nuts for struts.

As long as you aren’t taking apart or adjusting the tie rods the alignment should be fine. Take it in for piece of mind if you want after replacing the struts. Get a shop manual for your vehicle or look up torque specs. If yours are the coil over you’ll need a spring compressor to replace the struts. Yes, you’ll save a bunch of money doing it yourself and having the shop do the alignment.

Always do it yourself! I've saved 1,000s of dollars that way.

Just bring it in for an alignment soon after. As long as it's not WAY out of alignment, it'll be fine to drive to a shop. Once you really get further into DIY mechanics, you'll even know how to adjust it yourself to get it close if it is way off. Still always take it in for an alignment though.

I agree with the above. Review youtube videos and understand what tools you might need. I'd also recommend going to 1A Auto's website. They sell parts, and I sometimes buy parts from them, but they also have really well done videos on how to do the work.

In the past, I've reached out to dealers for quotes to do work, and have them break it down to parts, labor and number of hours. I would assume that doing it myself would take at least 2x the amount of time it would take them due to facilities, tools, experience, etc. Then I dig into how much parts would cost me if I did it.

Finally, I look into the cost of what additional tools I might need to buy. I usually consider only half the cost of the tools in my DIY vs Pay others analysis, because I consider the tools an asset that I get to keep and use in the future.

When I was younger, I usually always broke even or better including the cost of tools. Now I've got almost everything necessary when a 'typical' repair job comes up, and there's no tool cost associated. Also, labor rates are crazy now (~$100/hr last I checked), so that makes it alot easier to justify doing jobs myself.

Best of luck, Neil

You can rent a spring compressor from auto parts stores. Last time i did struts i got one from autozone.

Ohhhh man did I learn alot on my truck the past two weekends doing struts, shocks, springs front and rear. Including assembling new coilovers, becoming BFF with my new tool (air chisel) and plumbing the depths of DIY despair and hopelessness, with no help
except my good buddy Youtube. I have a 4runner with KDSS suspension system which makes everything a PITA (understatement) plus 8 years of salt and mud has left its mark (understatement). Long story short, I won the battle. Today I am in the shop getting my alignment and a few other details taken care of that I didn’t feel like tackling. Good luck, surely on a normal suspension your job will go much more smoothly.DA5BF6BC-5305-495F-8345-5822D43FC428.jpegA1F0FDE0-92CF-49AA-B532-3BB0743B2B12.jpeg04B09B4A-95FF-4D2D-94B6-C7FE603F2392.jpegA4ADB679-6B93-4B4C-850F-930FD7E820C0.jpegE675E1CA-CD2A-405C-BF3E-441A2532D5A9.jpegE8293D82-EA08-4B4B-95CA-FE63DFE99DCB.jpeg

Need work on the Tacoma I'm sure, 350k. Same with my F150.
But no way am I doing it myself anymore. Done several before no problem.
But with no shop and slab forget it, been there in the dirt on my 67' Ranchero.
But trying to find a decent place and not get totally yanked is impossible.

So after decades of paying others to work on my vehicles I've started dabbling in diy. I started with all the fluids, and have moved onto alternators and most recently the rear leaf springs and shocks. I'd like to replace the front shocks on my truck, but most of the YT vids talk about needing to do an alignment at the same time, that isn't in my diy wheel house. Is it still valuable to replace the struts then have Schwab do an alignment check? Fill me in on the details, I'm a total noob.

For front struts, I’d recommend using complete cartridges for the struts. For the risk etc of taking them apart, it’s worth it and you are better off putting new top bearings and isolator pads in anyway.

I’d have a solid appointment for an alignment before you do the work. You can ruin a set of tires really quick if it’s out of wack by much just driving it to the rack.

No alignment is needed under these conditions.
IF it's driving straight and showing no signs of abnormal tire wear before.
IF you use the original springs.
IF the ride height dosent change from the location of the spring perch on the strut.
IF you don't adjust any of the control arm mounting or tie rod ends.
Spring compressors are sketchy and probably one of the most dangerous parts of working on automobiles. Be safe!

100% doable DIY, then take it into someplace not Schwabbies to get an alignment - got screwed by them once, will never go back.

Agreed.
I had an alignment "done" by Les Schwab that they claimed was in spec. Then claimed they could adjust it because my cams were frozen. A real alignment shop had no issues with either.

Back