Front strut replacement

Spring compressors are sketchy and probably one of the most dangerous parts of working on automobiles. Be safe!
Using the spring compressor to
assemble my struts and also to get the existing struts out (long story, KDSS, rusted top hats, seized bolts, yada yada needed to come out in pieces) was the scariest work I’ve done. It makes you appreciate how a bomb defusing technician must feel. Would like to avoid in the future, although it did work mostly as intended, all said and done - except the safety pins wouldnt fit over my thicker spring, making a dangerous tool all the more ready to kill me.D4C34F43-CE45-4111-BC8D-605788C2281D.jpegA55114D0-E864-4127-B13C-986E0410A587.jpeg158DE9D1-D1BA-4962-BD8C-23BAA65B0FA3.jpeg

No big deal
Go slow, ask questions, be smart. I do my own alignments with tape measures and caster camber bubble levels. I got into a discussion with a "mechanic" at a well known tire dealer. The offered free alignment with a set of tires. I told him about bubble level alignment and he didn't have a clue. All he knew was how to set up the computer alignment and adjust what the screen told him to do. IMG_6737.jpg

I would second the recommendations to buy the whole assembly and install. Aftermarkets can change ride height and ride quality, so pay up for a quality strut. Some vehicles are designed that one of the strut mounting bolts to the knuckle controls the camber of the wheel. If your does this it is important to mark it to get it back as close as possible. If you use an aftermarket strut it likely won't line up the same as the original.

I've always opted to take it in for an alignment after suspension work.

Good luck!

So I started with the commuter car. 2008 Honda Fit. Less expensive mistakes.

Axle fell out, I freaked out, spend over a hour trying to get it back by myself until I read this and enlisted the boy to help.

You dick holes. This is way harder than you led me to believe!
Dude, don't touch the control arm bolts that have the cams to adjust alignment. You shouldn't have to do that unless you have a big leveling kit spacer like in the video.

MRS drew the line at DIY spring compression. And motorcycles.

If momma says "pay the man", spend the money. Call it relationship management.

Like @BackofBeyond - I'm done with Les Schwab. Especially since they sold the company. Schwab will put it inside the published spec, but they suck at really making a rig drive right.

You have a Brake Masters in Wenatchee?

Like @BackofBeyond - I'm done with Les Schwab. Especially since they sold the company. Schwab will put it inside the published spec, but they suck at really making a rig drive right.

No we don't.

Honestly Schwab ain't that bad the amount of little shit they'll do for free is nice, and like I said previously, it's 1 block from work. I took the Fit in yesterday for the post replacement alignment, though I really didn't feel like I needed it. They looked at it and concurred, nothing needed no charge. It doesn't pull and drives just like before. But I can tell the Truck is going to be way more likely based on all the shit you have to take apart.

Schwab shops are independent. Good ones and bad ones. Can't paint the whole company with the same brush. mtmuley

Thought of this thread today…Did front and backs today on my wife’s Subaru. Bought the strut and spring assemblies this time so I didn’t have to use the janky widow maker spring compressor. Went better than the time I put a lift on my tundra and had to call my mechanic buddy at 11:30pm to come over with a giant pry bar to help me get the last front strut in. Truck was sticking out the garage door and we had our expensive gear in there so I couldn’t shut it till the job was done. Luckily he was only a few beers deep playing poker. Saved my a** that night. Today was a good reminder to pay the pros, there’s always that one strut that decides to be a PITA. It was nice to save about $500 bucks but it took me a good 6 hrs and I’m gonna be sore tomorrow.

I should actually provide a bit of an update. I still haven't touched the truck, it's cold out and the truck doesn't fit in the garage so that project is one hold for a nice 60 deg spring weekend.

However, the damn FIT started knocking again, so I replaced the sway bar end links, still knocking, and getting worse. Finally caved and took it back to Schwab told them I all the stuff I'd tried. They said that typically works but they'll take a look. Dude called me back, and very politely told me that my front strut bolts had come loose, they tightened those back down and no more knock. I swear, there are day I feel dumb and days I know for a fact there ain't no "feel" to it.

For those using spring compressors if you get a second set you can get a little more purchase and comfort level on those coil springs when you compress them.

I tried replacing front struts one time… I think I did it right 😂😂😂. I ordered lower control arms for my pickup just a bit ago to swap out over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back