From "Meat-eater" 5/26 Can Large Predators Control CWD

Mustangs Rule

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2021
Messages
1,195
I just came across this relatively recent article from meateater about large predators controlling CWD.

It is a good article, long but worthy of the read. I would offer the topic open for discussion to anyone who read it, it does offer new info.

 
You’re right, it is a long article, and I’ll admit I usually despise anything written by rinella. My limited understanding of prions is that almost nothing can kill them, so I would be skeptical of the claim that they are not being spread more in the feces of the predators.
 
You’re right, it is a long article, and I’ll admit I usually despise anything written by rinella. My limited understanding of prions is that almost nothing can kill them, so I would be skeptical of the claim that they are not being spread more in the feces of the predators.
I know what you mean about Rinnella Inc. He is the Elvis of Hunting.

The relatively recent Mountain Lion prion study, which I believe was done by the Wyoming F and Game, or maybe the University of Wyoming, was conclusive. Mountain Lions are immune to CWD and their body chemistry typically totally destroys about 96.5 % of active prions consumed and the remaining 3.5% that are "alive" are pooped out quickly.

Scoring an "A +" on prion destruction with a one-time localized single poop-out they are not considered to be spreaders of CWD. Quite the opposite really.

I know of no such study on Wolves or coyotes. I will look for one. Getting that info would be so critical to this jigsaw puzzle.

Birds and reptiles like alligators are immune to CWD but their body chemistry does not denature prions.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,182
Messages
2,252,612
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top