Let’s talk about firewood

I have for 13 years and am very pleased with it. I can bank it up and come back the next day and still have heat. I just fill it up and in a short time it's burning again.

If I have a good bed of coals and fill the woodbox with madrone it will burn for 18 hours before I need to stoke it. And it's unnerving how little ash is produced.

Growing up in a 2000 sq ft house with terrible insulation and a junky insert we would burn about 8 cords in a winter.

My house is considerably bigger and I get by with 2- 3 now.
 
Not like its cold, we just were excited to make the first fire of the Fall.
Love our stove!
If that is the first fire of the fall, your wife has hotter blood than mine. Temperature dips into the forty's and she is insisting that I start a fire. Doesn't matter if it is going to be pushing 90 later in the day.
 
We have had a fire every morning for a couple of weeks. The wife likes it hot in the house, and I have kind of adapted to it. We have had several mornings below freezing.
 
If that is the first fire of the fall, your wife has hotter blood than mine. Temperature dips into the forty's and she is insisting that I start a fire. Doesn't matter if it is going to be pushing 90 later in the day.
Well, my wife in the heat of the summer will take a sweatshirt to do the food shopping.
We both agreed, raining/ blowing, snow tomorrow....let's get things rolling.
 
We have a Blaze King, King Ultra, 2400sq ft home, built in 2017, single level, that stove is very efficient. I fill it each morning and it will keep the house 75 degrees+, still wood in it when I fill it the next morning. Never have to clean the ash during the burning season. The bottom of the fire box is about 6" below the door so no ash to speak of comes out when it is filled. We only burn wood from after Christmas, when the decorations and tree come down by the stove, to about mid-April. Only go through about 1-2 cords. Have a heat pump that is for the shoulder seasons. When we start burning propane is when I start burning wood.
 
Dog has the run of the house. Three dog beds, two padded chairs, couch, two people beds. It doesn't bother us.
Dog uses all of them.
P.S.- 3 fenced acres, doggy door to the kennel in heated garage.
I get it. My labs have had run of the house. Had an acre fenced off with dog door to shop. I’d build a fire for them in shop before work and leave their heated blankets on in the winter. Like my grandpa said, lock your wife and dogs in the trunk for an hour, open it and see who is happy to se you…
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hem
We have a Blaze King, King Ultra, 2400sq ft home, built in 2017, single level, that stove is very efficient. I fill it each morning and it will keep the house 75 degrees+, still wood in it when I fill it the next morning. Never have to clean the ash during the burning season. The bottom of the fire box is about 6" below the door so no ash to speak of comes out when it is filled. We only burn wood from after Christmas, when the decorations and tree come down by the stove, to about mid-April. Only go through about 1-2 cords. Have a heat pump that is for the shoulder seasons. When we start burning propane is when I start burning wood.
Does it have a catalytic burner in it?
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,182
Messages
2,252,619
Members
39,107
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top