From Bozeman, Montana to Loveland, Colorado.

SWMontana1

Looks like I will be moving from Bozeman to Loveland... :(

Elk hunting has always been a huge part of my life.... what's the hunting like around Loveland, CO?? How's the elk harvest? Lot of hunters? Mountain hunting or prairie?

Any help is appreciated!

I'm pretty skeptical about this move and my elk hunting going forward

You are going from roughly 70+ days of elk hunting to 9 days rifle OR around 30 days bow. That is the major bummer. It is hard to go big with that kind of time constraints.

The upshot is, you can't hardly swing a dead cat and not hit a elk in most parts of Colorado. If your freezer is empty come December, you either made choices not to kill or you should pick up golf.

I guess this is a move you have no choice over if you don't know anything about Loveland. Loveland is between Ft. Collins and Denver. You may have a chance to brush up on you Goose hunting if you can get some access. I am sure this is going to be a shock sorry to say. There is some good news. Just a couple hours away is a good deal of wilderness and large elk herds however the hunter numbers are going to be a bit higher than you are used to. But like Fin says..... just need to find a way to get it done. More elk are killed in CO than anywhere else for a reason. Good Luck

I have a brother who lives in Bozeman and my mom lives in Loveland. High priced real estate, subarus, organic everything, and pot dispensaries seem to be the same for both towns. Just a few million more people within an hour being the big difference of the two from my perspective. I've hunted both and seemed like lots more pressure in co but I'm sure it just depends where you are at. have fun moving.

I haven't encountered much pressure on the 8-9 hunts I've done there, but I usually don't hunt in the popular areas and pick up left over tags. I've many times seen more hunters 4-6 miles in the wilderness areas south of Bozeman. The biggest down side to CO is the short seasons. Although you can break it up, hunt elk in archery season and deer in rifle and still get in 4-5 weekends pretty easy. The upside is the 'left over' deer areas in CO are as good or better than anything in MT.

Coming from a non-resident who only gets to hunt for a week... I chose CO over MT usually. WAY more elk, and enough big ones to keep a guy intersted? Its a bit diffrent living there I suppose.

I like CO and wouldn't have any problem living/hunting there. There is as much opportunity as you want to make of it.

Good luck on your move.

I live in Brighton which is about 45 minutes south of Loveland, PM me once you get down here and I'll give you my 2 cents about the hunting down here.

have a cousin who live there...they do alright with cows and don't try too hard...not hardcore hunters by any means...I guess I am saying...if they can find them...you had better be able too! :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back