PEAX Equipment

Frog legs?

Doug

How many of ya's hunt frogs? I chatted with a few folks the other night who shoot them, gig them, and catch them with their hands. I've never gotten a chance to go frog hunting. I'd like to hear about your experiences and what kind of equiptment and methods work best. Thanks,
Doug

Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.
Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center.
The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck's headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.
After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.
"Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston (shot his intimate parts off) or we might have been dead," stated Wallis.
"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how the accident happened," said Snyder.
Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife, asked how many frogs the boys had caught, and did anyone get them from the truck.

Boy, this is a subject that brings back some old memories. BAck in 1969, a friend of mine and I decided to drive down to Los Banos, Cal. and do some frog gigging. We lived just north of San Jose, California, so it was about an hour and fifteen minute drive. Bobby had a 12 foot aluminum boat that we tied into the back of my new Dodge Power Wagon. The truck was two days old at the time. He also had an airplane landing light and a 12 volt battery to run it with, and two frog gigs. We left the house at about 7:00 pm, and headed for the water. We found a good access spot, and put the boat and gear in the water. At about 1:00 am, the wind started to blow pretty good, and after fighting it for a while, we decided to head for home. Only problem, was that we couldn't find the truck. The wind had gotten us all turned around, and we had no idea where we were. Second problem was that the battery for the landing light was 12 volts, and the light was from a 24 volt system. The battery was just about dead. We could barely see from the front to the back of the boat with it. I had also brought with me a 5 cell flashlight that worked pretty well, and after getting up the banks of one of the canals we were in, I spotted an orange reflecter about three quarters of a mile away, and thinking that it might be on a mail box post, we made a bee line for it. We would row across what ever piece of water we were on, and if we got to land, we would carry the boat till we hit water again. Aboyt four in the morning, we got to the reflecter, and found that it was the front clearence light on my new truck. At least we would not have to wake up someone to find out where we were. We headed for home with a smile on our faces, and about fourty very large, mostly alive frogs in the back of the truck. The frogs were in a large gunny sack in the boat, that was now sticking out of the back of the truck. We were too tired to try to get it back up on the lumber rack, so we just stuck it in the bed with a red shop towel tied to the front of it. Because I had worked all the day befor, and had now been up for twenty five hours straight, I let Bob drive home. BIG MISTAKE. We hadn't gone thirty miles when I was awakened from a sound sleep by the sound of screeching tires and my head being bounced off the door window. Bob had fallen asleep and we were now sliding sideways between the office, and a pump island of an abandonded gas station. He had gone across the road, up a small curb, and into a strip mall that was being remodeled. The boat had come loose from the truck when he went up the curb, and was now sliding thru the lot, and there were frogs all over the place. Two old drunks were falling all over them selves trying to get away from the army of huge attack frogs, while we were trying to keep the truck from hitting them, the building, or anything else. Well, to make a long story short, the only damage was two bent rims, one with a flat tire, and a hole in the hull of the boat. We got most of the frogs back, and got the boat up on the rack where it belonged. We got home about eight in the morning, and had frog legs and warm beer for breakfast. God, I wish I was twenty again! :D :D :D

I gig them and also shoot them with a .22 pistol.
Dang good eating,MMMMMMMMM
drool.gif
;) .

Shoot em' with a 22 or 17hmr and let my lab go retrieve them. It's hilarious to see her coming back in with a huge frog sticking out of her mouth!

They are real good to eat!

shoot em with the bow fishin rig. done that alot this summer down here on caddo lake and in local swamps and sloughs

John,

Trade the frogs for a 'possum.. the truck for a beat up Nova.. and add rolling around in some dog $hit.. and ya got me and Felix at 16...... :D

Pellet Rifle.
My brother has two pictures framed, side by side, in his office.
Him with a frog and the pellet rifle.
Me with with a B&C Black Bear and a 338.

It's a good way to start conversations...............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back