Friends 284 Win Build

std7mag

I was supposed to go to the range yesterday to check zero and drop on our rifles.
When he got to my house he started talking about building a 284 Win for hunting.
His original plan was to build on a Mauser action.
So we hop in the car & drive to a not so local shop that had quite a few Zastava Mausers.

Get there & they were sold out of the Zastava's.

Swing by another shop on our way home. I'm walking around looking for myself, when i happen to see him carry a rifle to the counter.

Well he ended up buying a Savage Axis II in 30-06.
Took it home & took it apart.

Plan is Boyds Prarrie Hunter stock in charcoal laminate.
Douglas barrel. (He's unsure of length and contour as of yet)
EGW 20 MOA one piece base & their Keystone rings.
Burris Full Field 4.5-14X40.

Will post updates as stuff comes in.

Forgive me if I show my ignorance here. So is he going to rechamber the 30.06 to .284? Also, update us on how the Boyd’s stock turns out. I’ve got an Axis II in 6.5 that shoots very well and I’ve been thinking about updating to a Boyd’s stock. Come to think of it I may start a thread about that.

Not sure how much experience you have with Boyd’s, as I know you’ve built quite a few rifles, but plan to pillar bed from factory. I had a stock delaminate on me and Boyd’s wouldn’t do anything but offer me a coupon on the next one. I think it would have been solved with pillars from the get-go or at least Boyd’s would have one more thing warranty at that point.

This sounds like a fun build! Following for sure!

Forgive me if I show my ignorance here. So is he going to rechamber the 30.06 to .284? Also, update us on how the Boyd’s stock turns out. I’ve got an Axis II in 6.5 that shoots very well and I’ve been thinking about updating to a Boyd’s stock. Come to think of it I may start a thread about that.
No, he is going to rebarrel.
We will take the factory 22 inch 30-06 barrel off and put a 24 inch barrel in 284 Win on.

I've only dealt with one Boyds stock so far. A purple AT-One on my daughters Mauser.

We will take the factory 22 inch 30-06 barrel off and put a 24 inch barrel in 284 Win on.

I've only dealt with one Boyds stock so far. A purple AT-One on my daughters Mauser.
Is the long action of the 30-06 going to work for 284 Win, which is a short action cartridge?

I wouldn't build a 284 based rifle on anything besides a long action. This lets you seat the bullets out where they belong, thus increasing case capacity.
yep....my short action 284 struggles with this. A 140 grn Partition, isn't slick, but it works.

But the long action, begs the question, why not go to the ballistic equivalent of 280 Rem, or 280AI?

I like the Boyd's stock I have used. Put two on on different Axis IIs and Spike Camp on a 243 and a Varmint Thumbhole on a 7mm-08. Another Spike Camp I have put on a Marlin XL7 30-06. Like another suggested get the pillar bedding done, I did and no issues at all.

One thing I would recommend for the bolt is invest (like $25) in one of the available extractor claw/ejection spring and pin kits. They make all the difference in the world on Savage bolts which notoriously come with weak extractor/ejector parts.

I plan on re-barreling the 7m-08 Axis II I have myself.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rebarelled a short action to .284 and have no trouble extracting loads even at 2.9 COAL. It would take receiver work to eject anything longer but that can be done as well.

I have a 284 Win built on a long action commercial Mauser.
Aside from opening up the feed lips very slightly, have had no issues.

Friend wants a 284 Win.
Later on when he decides he wants a 280 Rem, or 280 AI, i'll help him build those too. Lol

Thank you!!!

I just rechambered a 7/08 to 284 win. 23.5 in HCA bbl, tikka action. Getting 3170 fps with a 150 eldx and moderate recoil. I love it. cant wait to see your buddies!

I toyed with rebarreling a Tikka to 284 Winchester. The availability of Lapua brass makes it attractive. Although I am now leaning towards converting a Remington 700 to 280 AI, I have decided it would be much cheaper to go the Tikka route for a lightweight rifle.

I toyed with rebarreling a Tikka to 284 Winchester. The availability of Lapua brass makes it attractive. Although I am now leaning towards converting a Remington 700 to 280 AI, I have decided it would be much cheaper to go the Tikka route for a lightweight rifle.
Yeah, i have a commercial long action Mauser that i'm debating over.
25-06.
Or 280AI.

I've done a few boyds stocks. Fit and finish is generally good. I like the prairie hunter model the best so far.
Just remember that they're made to be drop in, so they're not going to be perfect.

This is like trying to buy a Porsche and ending up with an ice cream truck.
We both like ice cream!
:D

Alas, as i mentioned, the Mausers that they did have, were sold out.
He waited too long.

But hopefully, this rifle will end up lighter than a Mauser build.

I hunted with a hand me down .284 with a Mauser action and a stamped barrel by Belgium Fabrique Nationale (FN)

I've done a few boyds stocks. Fit and finish is generally good. I like the prairie hunter model the best so far.
Just remember that they're made to be drop in, so they're not going to be perfect.
So would it be fair to say that some barreled actions will require more or less work to get them to fit? I was shooting the rifle yesterday afternoon and it’s very accurate with a variety of ammo. Do I risk lessening my accuracy by changing stocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back