Friends 284 Win Build

So would it be fair to say that some barreled actions will require more or less work to get them to fit? I was shooting the rifle yesterday afternoon and it’s very accurate with a variety of ammo. Do I risk lessening my accuracy by changing stocks?
You SHOULD be alright, you may need to bed the action, and possibly shim the bottom metal. Nothing major.

This is funny, although I do like my Savage re-barrels.
I got a good chuckle from that too!

Well, things have changed, changing 2 threads i have on here.

My friend & i did some horse trading.
I'm taking the B&C stock off MY 284 Win Mauser and putting the wood stock from my Alpine Mauser on it.

I'm putting the B&C on the Alpine Mauser.
And trading the Alpine for his Axis II.
Which, as the winner of the cartridge poll i had (by a large margin) will be built into a 280AI.

Hence his 284 Win build will be on a Mauser action that he wanted all along.

He's planning on a Douglas barrel. So since the "bluing" looks like black paint on the Alpine action anyway, i convinced him to send them the action and assemble & blue the whole thing so they match.

Last edited:
Well, like the best laid plans of mice & men....

The friend that gave me the Alpine Mauser wanted it back. :mad:
Claims now that all he wanted me to do was fix the scope mount & put a new scope on it.
It's still sitting in my basement.

My coworker/hunting buddy did build his 284 on a Savage Axis II action. Douglas magnum sporter 24" barrel. Boyds Prairie Hunter stock in the pepper laminate. EGW one piece 0MOA base & their Keystone low rings holding a Burris Fullfield E1 scope.

The combination of the heavier barrel & Boyds stock made it a little on the heavy side, but it carrys actually quite well.

154gr Hornady Interlock over RL17 has accounted for 2 does.

Sucks he put it on a gray bedsheet to take a picture of it. Really does nothing for the stock.

Attachments

• Resized_20220224_114522(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220224_114522(1).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back