Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Freezing doves

2rocky

How long do you think you could get away with keeping a dove breast in a ziploc bag in a freezer (not Vacuum Sealed) until you were worried about freezer burn?

I'm accumulating them one at a time til i have enough to make a meal.

just wrap each one in plastic wrap tightly before ziplocing them

slilghtly more of a PIA when you wanna thaw them all out, but they won't do well for very long just thrown in a zip loc

and if you have a few to freeze at a time, just pile them together and tightly wrap the bundle in plastic wrap, i've done that and works just fine

I use the snack sized ziploc bags and keep them for several months.

I debone the breasts and when I seal them I make sure I have all the air squeezed out.

I've only kept them frozen for maybe a month and there was no freezer burn using a ziplock bag.

With small amounts of birds I will make Dove Poppers. One dove will make three, so with a few birds you can make enough Poppers for appetizers for small group of people. I usually try to use up my bird supply within a month of when we get them. If I was only getting one bird at a time, I am guessing you have been shooting Eurasians, I would pluck and gut the bird. By leaving the skin and inside skeleton attached to the breast meat you will have another layer of protection between the air and the breast meat. You could cut the back and legs off if you only wanted the breast meat, and still protect the breast with skin and inside skeleton.

Last edited:
Personally, I've frozen them in ziplocs for 6+ months without any issue. I make sure as much of the air as possible is out of the bag and then try to keep it in a spot where it won't get bumped and moved a lot.

Another vote for water. I freeze in quart freezer zip loc and fill with water. Same with ducks.

I just thawed some out last week from 9/2019 and they were just fine.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back