MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Freeze first, butcher later

AlaskaHunter

I am usually out hunting in September, and typically inherit a few moose quarters from non-residents flying home.
I have them throw the quarters in my freezer. After my Alaska hunting season is done, I take a moose quarter out
on Thursday, it is mostly thawed by Saturday, and I butcher it into roasts, burger, sausage, osso buco cuts that weekend.
Usually one quarter per weekend works well since there is no rush.

I've done the same with November blacktails...by the time I drive home to interior Alaska, the meat bags are frozen
in the back of the truck, they would stay frozen for months there...
and I leave them frozen in the pickup until I have time to butcher them on the weekends..usually taking a bag to thaw on Thurs.

Been freezing for months before butchering for many years. No problems what so eve.
Now that we have proven cases of CWD in our deer, moose, and elk I think it'll become the norm as you'll want to wait for the CWD test results before processing

Reactions: Hem
Depends on weather; if it's mild out I butcher as is. Saskatchewan being Saskatchewan, it is not uncommon for me to shoot a deer at -20, normally it's @#)(# stiff the following morning and I usually leave it frozen until I can make time to butcher. I've never personally seen a difference with either way...

our Deer during Iowa gun season(starts first Saturday of December) are usually skinned, deloined, and then freeze hanging up. As time allows I will move 1 from the cold shed to the heated garage to thaw and butcher.

Filled my muley tag opening day this season and put it in the freezer quartered out a few hours after harvesting. Tasted no difference in quality after processing a week later.

I do the same. just put the quarter bags inside individual garbage bags and put them in the deep freeze. The garbage bags keep them from sticking together. I really like this method of doing a quarter at a time. I can take my time and make sure everything is cut and packaged perfectly and do it on my schedule instead of being rushed to get it all processed at once.

This thread has come around at a great time, as its too warm to hang longer than over night here in Kentucky.
Probably going to be forced to butcher this way

I quarter the deer and freeze the deer with the tag # marked on it. Since we usually get 4 or 5 deer during our gun season If one were to come back positive we just have to take that deer out and not lose any meat.
Cowboy made a good point, been speculating the same as the OP but with regards to CWD.

For guys freezing whole quarters how do you wrap it? I have always double bagged them in an unscented garbage bag, but I would like to do it a little more food safe.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back