Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Free-range Texas Aoudad, Whitetail, Axis, Black Buck, Elk, Sika-Game Pictues

I dunno sitting in a blind in the 90-deg heat out in the middle of the desert and dealing with snakes looking for shelter in your blind takes skill. Speaking from experience. :)

...snakes, wasps, spiders, heat....a blind is a blind, water, corn, fart poof pants, doe pee, mechanical transformer broadheads, swat facepaint, goofy pronghorn hats...

...equivocational my way is more noble than your way blah blah:D

Killing piles of geese in the middle of a harvested corn field is probably a heck of a lot harder, right?? ;)

Lots harder, it is cold, birds don't work, I don't own the corn field and and can't spread out more corn to keep them coming. The cornfield isn't on a timer so that I know when the birds will show up. I have to compete with other hunters because I don't pay to lease fields.

In reality killing a pile of geese isn't hard but I suspect neither is killing a "free range" critter when the trail cam pics look like this.

attachment.php

The weather is brutal down there: 63 degrees on Nov 22nd at 7:30 in the morning.

Nemont

Last edited:
In reality killing a pile of geese isn't hard but I suspect neither is killing a "free range" critter when the trail cam pics look like this.

But they jumped a fence to get there and you never see the same one twice in two years :confused:

I do like Texas, I love the BBQ places down there, nobody does brisket like Texas BBQ places, and I have some great friends from Texas. Couple of guys I was in the Army with were from Texas and they were great guys.

They do seem a little defensive when you talk about corn flingers though.

Nemont

4,500 acres

Cow Creek Ranch is 4500 acres of rough and beautiful Southwest Texas countryside. CCR has been family-owned and operated right here in Carta Valley, Texas since 1999. Since we have started selling hunts in the Fall of 2011 we have had an extraordinary success rate with our clients. We also pride ourselves on treating every client as if they were a part of our family, and do whatever it takes for them to go home happy. Other ranches may offer similar services, but CCR stands apart in the sense that when you leave here you will have had a fulfilling hunt, and a lifelong experience that you will never forget.

Last edited:
Lots harder, it is cold, birds don't work, I don't own the corn field and and can't spread out more corn to keep them coming. The cornfield isn't on a timer so that I know when the birds will show up. I have to compete with other hunters because I don't pay to lease fields.

Nemont, I was just keeping it light. I was spoon fed duck and goose hunting from the time I was a tyke. Sitting in a blind surrounded by flooded rice, sitting behind corn stalks in harvested corn, or sitting in blind in the last bit of water that doesnt freeze all of those methods had been the easiest hunting Ive ever done, but boy are they loads of fun.

attachment.php

The weather is brutal down there: 63 degrees on Nov 22nd at 7:30 in the morning.

Nemont

In Texas, that right there is a good thing sorry to tell ya!! :D

Nemont, I was just keeping it light. I was spoon fed duck and goose hunting from the time I was a tyke. Sitting in a blind surrounded by flooded rice, sitting behind corn stalks in harvested corn, or sitting in blind in the last bit of water that doesnt freeze all of those methods had been the easiest hunting Ive ever done, but boy are they loads of fun.

No worries, I am secure enough in my chosen hunting style. People here think waterfowl hunting is just something to do to kill time between Big Game and Ice Fishing.

I grew up chasing White Tails and Mule Deer and I guess I just don't hate that much any more. I hunt every year for them but I get far more out of watching my kids fill his tag. Still love to hunt birds though.

FYI I kind of like to poke the guys from Texas because for all their bravado, I think they suffer from some insecurity in regards to their hunting style choices. Guys from Texas have explained to me that if you don't lease and don't feed the deer on the lease then you don't hunt.

Nemont

Last edited:
But they jumped a fence to get there and you never see the same one twice in two years :confused:

You must not get logic or something! I am just saying the odds of us seeing the same animals on a 4500 acre low fenced piece of land are slim compared to a smaller operation of 400 acres maybe. With Aoudad unless they have distinctive markings I cannot tell if it is the same one or not. When I made that comment i was talking more so about the Whitetail, Axis, Sika, Black Buck, Elk

No worries, I am secure enough in my chosen hunting style. People here think waterfowl hunting is just something to do to kill time between Big Game and Ice Fishing.

I grew up chasing White Tails and Mule Deer and I guess I just don't hate that much any more. I hunt every year for them but I get far more out of watching my kids fill his tag. Still love to hunt birds though.

FYI I kind of like to poke the guys from Texas because for all their bravado, I think they suffer from some insecurity in regards to their hunting style choices. Guys from Texas have explained to me that if you don't lease and don't feed the deer on the lease then you don't hunt.

Nemont

Zero insecurity here! I haven't had the opportunity to do much waterfowl hunting its on the list though! Texas hunting to me is diverse. Way west Texas you can go hunting on 100,000 acre + pieces of land with no feeders, but thats still wrong in your eyes or a guy like "mtlion" because it has a fence around it? Thats a tad narrow minded to me!

I asked Big Fin and he approved of me putting up my ranch name and web-site up.....

Yup. He politely emailed and I approved.

The continued barbs towards Texas and their style of hunting is somewhat perplexing, yet somewhat understandable.

There was a time when I would see feeders, high fences, exotics, etc. and I felt compelled to provide commentary provided by the anonymity of the cyber wall. That is where comments such as this are understandable to me.

Over time, meeting a lot of committed hunters from Texas, it became apparent that one's impressions and expectations of hunting are a function of your hunting upbringing. That is where comments such as these are perplexing to me.

I think some guys get rubbed the wrong way when they see Texas-type models, methods, and views on wildlife ownership migrating to there states. They see that as imported values and they speak out to try slow down a trend they see.

Most, I think, do it out of humor, however mature or immature that humor might be. Some might do it for other reasons.

Some take it in stride, the way Montanans accept "sheep" humor as part of the deal of being from Montana. Some Montana guys are pretty uptight over that, but if they live here, they know they will be the brunt of sheep jokes. Best to accept it as part of the deal and get over it.

I have no problem with these kind of Texas pics being posted. It is part of the hunting culture in Texas. It might be different than my hunting culture. Neither is right or wrong. Neither side of the fence will convince the other, no matter how much arguing and banter.

It is similar to discussion a couple months ago about crossbows, hunting deer with hounds, lighted nocks, or whatever. What works and is acceptable in on area is not acceptable in others.

The view many in Texas have on wildlife is unusual and uncomfortable if you come from a place with lots of public land and/or a strong history/advocacy of public ownership of wildlife and democratic allocation of that wildlife opportunity. Yet, when I look at a state that is almost completely private, has a different constitution and history of at one time being an independent Republic, it is easier to understand why Texas has evolved with different laws and a different perspective on what constitutes wildlife and who owns it.

Carry on .......

Way west Texas you can go hunting on 100,000 acre + pieces of land with no feeders, but thats still wrong in your eyes or a guy like "mtlion" because it has a fence around it?

A fence designed to keep animals in? Damn straight that's wrong. Put me in the narrow minded category.

Zero insecurity here! I haven't had the opportunity to do much waterfowl hunting its on the list though! Texas hunting to me is diverse. Way west Texas you can go hunting on 100,000 acre + pieces of land with no feeders, but thats still wrong in your eyes or a guy like "mtlion" because it has a fence around it? Thats a tad narrow minded to me!

I am not certain I have declared what I thought was right or wrong. I said I like to poke guys from Texas because they get so defensive so fast. If I lived in Texas and wanted to hunt I understand it is a pay to play state.

I have always liked my visits to Texas.

Nemont

Last edited:
A fence designed to keep animals in? Damn straight that's wrong. Put me in the narrow minded category.

Who said it was a high fence? Its private land its pretty much mandatory to have a fence here in Texas to distinct your land sorry I can't help it!
Also, I don't think there is many ranches in Texas that would high fence a 100,000 acre spread! If they do I will be the first to tell you thats stupid, and i do not believe in hunting high fenced land! You've been in that category a long time ago!

Last edited:
I am not certain I have declared what I thought was right or wrong. I said I like to poke guys from Texas because they get so defensive so fast. If I lived in Texas and wanted to hunt I understand it is a pay to play state.

I have always liked my visits to Texas.

Nemont

It is a pay to play state, but not from my stand point. All I'm trying to do is throw some pictures up and a web-site hoping people could just like them instead of having a dog pile on me because there is a feeder there! Like Big Fin said its just the way it is down here. I don't pass judgment on your style of hunting. Please stop dogging on my business and my way of hunting! I am passionate about it not defensive! If I dogged on your ranch and your way of hunting you would get heated too!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back